13 Reasons to NOT BECOME A Land Lord

It just curls my stomach to assume that children lived in that situation. And the home didn't become a health hazard over night- or even over one week! I hope you can report them to the local DFACS- !! It won't pay for any damage to your property- but you may save a child from living any longer in a damaging or unstable family environment! Please consider that this event although damaging for your own finances and eating your own valuable time- could be a blessing for someone else. This could be how your able to save some child's future from being told as "this is how i lived growing up" stories. And maybe that will keep any future home from looking something like this if authorities are involved ! Clearly the environment there is a symptom of a much bigger problem with these people! And in the end you may turnout to be not just the landlord- you are a angel perhaps?!
It could happen. But whatever the case ends up being good luck very much with this!! -

DINX YOU HAVE A VERY GOOD POINT

Used to "dabble" in law. Like the way an associate handled his own problem. He sent the renters two notices to vacate. One by regular mail and the other certified. The notice set a reasonable time to respond and stated if they did not respond, he would presume they agreed to vacate and act accordingly.

A bit more than a week later, he showed up at the rental with a chainsaw, fired it up and started cutting through the front door. He said it was almost like someone was yet living there, but left in a hurry. He removed what was left of the door, threw everything out on the front lawn, then installed the door he brought, with new locks.

He cleaned the place up and sold it shortly after that. No issues. The former renters didn't even try to mess with the crazy guy.

Last edited:
I think I would wear a bio suit if I had to clean that place.

There is Three cats living in there. I have been taking cat food over there two times a day feeding them. Yesterday I had to buy cat food again, $23 they are really quite affectionit to me :)

Was a landlord onetime, notice the "One Time" part. I thought if I wanted to do something like that again? A REIT index fund or something like that.

ARC,
I based my $1,000 figure on the best I think the owner could have received based on the (assumed) original condition of the home. Yes, my age may also show in other ways; that infant in the pic to the left is now in high school.
Don.....

I have to say that's a headache right there!
Back when I was looking for ways to earn money I found myself going into places like that every couple of weeks or so. I was the guy you called when this happened to you and didnt want to get your hands dirty.
There was a crew of us that faced that all the time...I worked with a plumber and a carpenter, I was the electrician. We were sent in to clean up, fix up and get ready for the next guy.
I could tell stories that would make you puke in your mouth but that's not what I'm here for lol
It's a shame and sadly a part of society everywhere that really shows how dysfunctional some folks really are.
None of the places I dealt with left anything that a sensible person would ever want or find value in..absolutely nothing!
Oh and one last thing...yeah the pics say thousands of words and then some but the one thing they cannot convey is the smells and the odours that those places always have...time to puke in your mouth now

I think what amazes me the most is that some people actually live in filth like that. It has to be a mental disorder on top of laziness, drug abuse, and so on. Unfortunately the landlord always comes out the loser, both financially and the stress of having to deal with that.
Some years ago in my town there was a family who lived even worse than those pictures. They were a burden to the taxpayers who supported them by paying their rent, groceries, and utilities through welfare. They literally lived like animals. The state would place them in an available rent house with the landlord having no say in the matter due to fair housing laws. Every single house they ever lived in had to be demolished or burned down when the landlord was finally able to evict them. It was absolutely ridiculous.

From reading this and similar threads (including decades of personal experience), the lessons I have learned are:
1. Verity references; especially the tenant's previous landlord.
2. Get an adequate Security Deposit and an additional separate Pet Deposit if applicable.
3. Do not delay the collection procedure
4. If the lease allows for periodic inspection of the property (dwelling and surrounds)--do it.
5. Follow up each inspection with a text to the tenant reporting your results of the visit.
(Praise the tenant if all is going well; otherwise, list what he should do--pursuant to the lease--to stay a good tenant.)
Even with these 'protections', some tenants will still turn out to be 'flakes'; that's just the nature of the business.
Don in SoCal

I'm sorry to see stuff like that, I even bet the security deposit did not cover damages.
The best way to evict is to go to the local biker bar, buy a keg and invite a bunch of them over and tell them all they need to do is throw out the people inside.

I think what amazes me the most is that some people actually live in filth like that. It has to be a mental disorder on top of laziness, drug abuse, and so on. Unfortunately the landlord always comes out the loser, both financially and the stress of having to deal with that.
Some years ago in my town there was a family who lived even worse than those pictures. They were a burden to the taxpayers who supported them by paying their rent, groceries, and utilities through welfare. They literally lived like animals. The state would place them in an available rent house with the landlord having no say in the matter due to fair housing laws. Every single house they ever lived in had to be demolished or burned down when the landlord was finally able to evict them. It was absolutely ridiculous.
I don't think it would be too hard to cure this sickness. You can't sue for damages since they likely don't have any money so...
If they have kids, take them away. Cut off all assistance to the parents and let them go live in a dumpster. NO public assistance for at least several years, Biggest problem with society today is we fail to make people truly accountable for their actions.

Friend of mine has rental houses. I asked him "do you do a credit check on the tenants"?
He said no, when he meets them at the house, he goes over to their car & looks inside it.
If it's trashed/cluttered he doesn't rent to them.

There are a LOT of reasons not to rent to some people. Your friends idea is also a great idea :)

Even most attorneys don't really know the law well, so problems like this continue. A savvy attorney could take on the state for damages based on such history (necessary demolition of any house they lived in) and even change the laws.

Essentially, this would constitute a back door takings, for which involved governments and even their agents could be compelled to compensate.

Then there is the Public Duty Doctrine out of which a duty develops when government takes control of a situation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back