1 hour hunt, 925 ring and a broken detector

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hello to all!

A rare weeknight hunt today, had two hours to get out so I headed for the nearby elementary school to try to new/old Garrett machine in the grassy areas. (I have pillaged the woodchips there last summer and this already) This is the school that I had my photo taken that ended up on the cover of the Feb 2007 Western & Eastern Treasure Magazine. I have had a lot of good luck there too, in the chips and the grassy areas.

The ole Garrett's work well in the grassy areas too and like usual, I was hunting all metal, no disc and digging it all, because I love finding that gold! No gold today though but a nice little 925 ring was found and a sterling shield with a prayer on back, Joshua 1:9 from the bible. Some other nice goodies were found too.

The bad news, after 1 hour and 1 minute, the new/old Garrett TR machine stopped working. The batteries only have about 5 hours on them. It started pulsing funny, then made a solid signal for a minute which gradually faded into silence? I will have to get inside and try to suss it out? Bummer :'(

Oh well, an hour hunt, a beautiful day, two nice keepers, and a religous medalian plus 45 coins for a face value of $4.72. Only 7 pennies! So it was great hour!! Yes, I can hunt the grass too, not only the woodchips, and I am still fairly efficient there too. I am a swinging and digging madman out there no matter where I am at ;D

Thanks for reading, HH to all!

Smiles!
BDoo

Here's some photos of today's finds.

about 40 or 50 pieces of trash

Trash.jpg

Todays Finds
27AUG07 T.jpg
27AUG07 F.jpg

The sterling ring
925 Ring .jpg

Upvote 0
Re: 1 hour hunt, 925 ring and broken detector

dangit boobydoo you overworked the poor thing nice finds :)

Re: 1 hour hunt, 925 ring and broken detector

aa battery said:
dangit boobydoo you overworked the poor thing nice finds :)

Maybe you are right... it's been sitting in someone's closet for 20 plus years. Hopefully, I can figure out what is wrong with it. If not, I can send it to Garretts maybe for a tune up?

Thanks for stopping in and leaving the friendly comment.

Smiles!
BDoo

:D No kiddin', AA! :D The poor thing never expected a hunter like Scooby! :D

YOU dug a LOT of holes in an hour, Scooby! :o Congrats on those keepers!!

Nana ;)

nice finds Bdoo ;) and sorry about your old new Garret :'( hope you can get it going again ,

Nana40 said:
:D No kiddin', AA! :D The poor thing never expected a hunter like Scooby! :D

YOU dug a LOT of holes in an hour, Scooby! :o Congrats on those keepers!!

Nana ;)

Thanks Nana, yep, lots of holes, but no one will ever know I was there. The ground was nice and moist from the 3plus inches of rain recently so my freshly sharpened bayonette was carving some nice plugs. I covered an area about 50 by 100 or so feet. I had several multiple coin finds too, maybe 4, that boosts the totals. Appreciate it my friend!

Smiles!
BDoo

weasel606 said:
nice finds Bdoo ;) and sorry about your old new Garret :'( hope you can get it going again ,

Thanks Weas... me too. One way or another, I'll get it going. Maybe dirt or dust on one of the plug in termanals?? I still have the original ole trusty. It's been a bit sick but still finding a lot with it. Appreciate the visit and comment.

Smiles!
BDoo

Sounds like the old Garrett needs to go to the doctor for a checkup. Sounds like you had a good short hunt, nonetheless.

First time I ever heard of someone killing a machine so quickly.
Stop overworking those things BDOO. At least turn 'em off for five minutes and give 'em a break every now and then so they live longer.

I have faith you will be back in the chips very shortly, but be nice to the detectors man!
:P

~Nash~

I guess you rang up too many high tones in an hour. :D Good haul Bob.

Those old beasts usually suck the juice. Did you recharge your batteries and try it again?

Maybe you got what you paid for....? ::) How much do they charge for a "tune up"? White's charges about $60.

Bob

Way to go BDoo, you wore out the machine in a matter of hours. :D That's really working it. Some sweet ring you got there. Way to go!

Too bad about the detector! Sounds like a capacitor dried up on you. I didn't know you made the cover of W&E, I looked for mine and I think I was in between subscriptions as I can't find February 07. HH, Mike

Something else you might look at. Does that detector have the 9v battery slide mount? My old Garrett MH 5 has that battery setup, the contacts on the mount that plug into the detector corroded and deteriorated, I had to replace two of the contacts, I was really surprised to find the same contacts at work so I was lucky. Check out the detector, if that is the case, I will mail you a few contacts. HH, Mike

Nice finds BDoo, sorry you killed your machine. That's a real bummer, did you have your back up with you? I really like that little Aeroplane you have there! :D HH and hope you get the big "G" back up and out in the field soon.

Desertfox

Very nice haul BDoo, WTG!!!
I'd put some new batteries in that machine, being that old, it may have just sucked the life out of those batteries.
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

nice ring,, love the plane too !!! poor little machine... feed it some nanites !! :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back