$1,000,000 for anyone who can dowse.

I don't have much to say til captain responds, so...

Here is an interesting part of an essay by the famous John Locke:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
He that will consider how many doubts and difficulties have remained in the minds of the most knowing men after long and studious inquiry; how much, in those several provinces of knowledge they have surveyed, they have left undiscovered; how many other provinces of the "mundus intelligibilis," as I may call it, they never once travelled on, will easily consent to the disproportionateness of our time and strength to this greatness of business, of knowledge taken in its full latitude, and which if it be not our main business here, yet it is so necessary to it, and so interwoven with it, that we can make little further progress in doing than we do in knowing—at least to little purpose; acting without understanding being usually at best but lost labour.

Which is the reason why i don't argue in excess with somone if it appears that i will never be abel to sway their judgment.

Gluk said:
I don't have much to say til captain responds, so...

Here is an interesting part of an essay by the famous John Locke:

He that will consider how many doubts and difficulties have remained in the minds of the most knowing men after long and studious inquiry; how much, in those several provinces of knowledge they have surveyed, they have left undiscovered; how many other provinces of the "mundus intelligibilis," as I may call it, they never once travelled on, will easily consent to the disproportionateness of our time and strength to this greatness of business, of knowledge taken in its full latitude, and which if it be not our main business here, yet it is so necessary to it, and so interwoven with it, that we can make little further progress in doing than we do in knowing—at least to little purpose; acting without understanding being usually at best but lost labour.

Which is the reason why i don't argue in excess with somone if it appears that i will never be abel to sway their judgment.
For someone without much to say, you sure say a lot....

I'm curious, how do you come to correlate dowsing with memorizing a phone book?

Some people would say that dowsers already knew what they were dowsing for and just adjust the dowsing mechanism to the correct answer.

I have done this myself while attempting to dowse. i.e. I once asked a pendulum a yes or no question, and went through a mental process while it was swinging ina an attempt to assume the answer. Once i determined the responce most likely to be correct, i accidently directed the pendulum to the appropriate responce.

Well anything that doesn't utilize electronics; rods, pendulum, ouji board(which is bull to me), y-branch, or anything else you can think of.

Regarding your previous post, if i knew what the phonebook had in it already, i wouldn't need to dowse to know the correct answer(s), and would make my pendulum do the correct thing (yes or no reguarding the number or name).

Gluk said:
Well anything that doesn't utilize electronics; rods, pendulum, ouji board(which is bull to me), y-branch, or anything else you can think of.

Regarding your previous(can't spell) post, if i knew what the phonebook had in it already, i wouldn't need to dowse to know the correct answer(s), and would make my pendulum do the correct thing (yes and no reguarding the number or name).
Now, I understand how this might be done with a phone book and memorization, but how would you apply this to dowsing?

I mean, if you did memorize an entire phone book, and were given a number and could find the corresponding name using a pendulum, this would not be an example of dowsing, but rather memorization.

If you were to take the pendulum to a park, could it be utilized to find, say, a dropped silver coin, 5-6 inches below the surface? In this instance you wouldn't have prior knowledge of the coin's location, but could you still find it?

Remember the visual memory problem?.. Have somone read this to you.

"Now, I understand how this might be done with a phone book and memorization, but how would you apply this to dowsing?"

"Some people would say that dowsers already knew what they were dowsing for and just adjust the dowsing mechanism to the correct answer."

"If you were to take the pendulum to a park, could it be utilized to find, say, a dropped silver coin, 5-6 inches below the surface?"

Well i don't think I could do it very well, but i'm sure i could get within a ten-foot square with some effort. But then that is if there wasn't another silver coin at the same approx. level that i might accidentally dowse out instead.

Gluk said:
Remember the visual memory problem?.. Have somone read this to you.

"Now, I understand how this might be done with a phone book and memorization, but how would you apply this to dowsing?"

"Some people would say that dowsers already knew what they were dowsing for and just adjust the dowsing mechanism to the correct answer."
Tell me, Gluk. Since I have this supposed "visual memory" problem, I obviously fail to see how memorization and dowsing have anything in common at all.

So, you'll memorize a phone book and dowse a name when given a number, right? Okay, I'll buy that, although I highly doubt you could pull it off. At any rate, no one here is taking about challenging someone's memory except for you, so it's a moot topic all the same.

Dowsers can't memorize the location of an unknown substance. It's impossible. The location is unknown. Simple enough even for you to understand, I'm almost sure.
Dowsers, I hope, would have some idea of what they're looking for when they begin. It would make sense to have some idea at any rate. But are they to memorize what gold looks like? They don't know this already?

Again, how does dowsing correlate to memorization? You still haven't bothered to explain this:
Gluk said:
And.....
Gluk said:
Well i don't think I could do it very well, but i'm sure i could get within a ten-foot square with some effort. But then that is if there wasn't another silver coin at the same approx. level that i might accidentally dowse out instead.

So you could get within a ten-foot square area of a silver coin you attempted to dowse? Impressive! Let's see, a silver coin, let's say a quarter, would fit quite well in a one square inch plot of earth. Do a little math---ten foot square---twelve inches to a foot---120 inches to a side---squared---14,400 square inches in your ten-foot square plot. Hmmmm...

Maybe more practice is in order. I mean, I even told you what you were looking for and you can only come this close? It may be my "visual memory" problem acting up again, but finding the right one-square inch plot containing the quarter looks pretty hard when you gave us 14,400 to choose from....

"Tell me, Gluk.  Since I have this supposed "visual memory" problem, I obviously fail to see how memorization and dowsing have anything in common at all."

Since you have this supposed "visual memory" problem, you obviously fail to see how memorization and dowsing have anything in common at all.

" It may be my "visual memory" problem acting up again, but finding the right one-square inch plot containing the quarter looks pretty hard when you gave us 14,400 to choose from...."

Well to tell you the truth, i am not what you would consider an "experienced dowser."  :-\

"Maybe more practice is in order."

Yeah, i would say that practice is in order as well. I am glad you now believe that dowsing (with practice) is the real deal.

One who is fully decided will fully follow through with his decision.

King: Life and Letters of John Locke:

"For example, a man who would be married has several wives proposed to him. He considers which would be fittest for him, and judges Mary best; afterwards, upon that continued judgment, hakes choice of her; this choice ends his deliberation; he stops all further consideration whether she be best or no, and resolves to fix here, which is not any more to examine whether she be best or fittest for him of all proposed; and consequently pursues the means of obtaining her, sees, frequents, and falls desperately in love with her, and then we may see Resolution at the highest; which is an act of the will, whereby he not only supersedes all further examination, but will not admit of any information or suggestion, will not hear anything that can be offered against the pursuit of this match." -Locke

more reason not to continue arguing... i love these essays.

and Sand-home , i don't see why you couldn't follow those last posts.

Well...I followed that one, John Locke is a very good writer...from the 17th century isn't he?

John Donne is also a very good writer, I am very fond of his work...what's that one titled...who this bells tolls for...I believe that's it. Look it up, it's very good.

"Who casts not up his eye to the sun when it rises? but who takes off his eye from a comet when that breaks out? Who bends not his ear to any bell which upon any occasion rings? but who can remove it from that bell which is passing a piece of himself out of this world? No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main."

I like. :)

"To watch somthing ominous that constantly recurs instills a great feeling of helplessness."
-me

Gluk said:
"Tell me, Gluk. Since I have this supposed "visual memory" problem, I obviously fail to see how memorization and dowsing have anything in common at all."

Since you have this supposed "visual memory" problem, you obviously fail to see how memorization and dowsing have anything in common at all.
And still you don't bother to tell me why you seem to correlate dowsing and memorization.
Okay, keep your secret of continuing to create posts with unoriginal thoughts to yourself.

af1733 said:
Gluk said:
"Tell me, Gluk.  Since I have this supposed "visual memory" problem, I obviously fail to see how memorization and dowsing have anything in common at all."

And still you don't bother to tell me why you seem to correlate dowsing and memorization.
Okay, keep your secret of continuing to create posts with unoriginal thoughts to yourself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm certain i clarified this before you asked the question in saying:
        "Some people would say that dowsers already knew what they were dowsing for and just adjust the
          dowsing mechanism to the correct answer."

If you are looking for a different answer, i suggest you rephrase the question so it won't seem like another instance in which you forgot what you posted earlier.

Gluk said:
I'm certain i clarified this before you asked the question in saying:
"Some people would say that dowsers already knew what they were dowsing for and just adjust the
dowsing mechanism to the correct answer."
And this displays properties of memorization how?

Fact it, Gluk. You posses no views bearing a shred of intellect to share with this thread. Your posts are inane, juvenile and boorish, and bear a striking similarity to Art's posts in their lack of pertinent content. Continue to post your trolling remarks and the thread will carry on around them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back