✅ SOLVED Wax Seal age?

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Hi guys. A recent wax seal find by a member here had me hunt out a tiny one, so I was told it is, that I found years ago on some goldfield diggings. I once asked on another treasure site years back and was told its French. But other than that I have no clue to its possible age. I would just be interested to know what the writing says and the age of it please. I can see vines and leaves one side and the other is supposed to be a bird free from its cage.
Best pictures I can take and in some different light.
IMG_20240428_095514_400~2.jpg
IMG_20240428_095845_083~2.jpg
IMG_20240428_095444_432~2.jpg
IMG_20240428_095833_849~2.jpg

Cheers 👍

Solution
Great many thanks. Maybe it was made with that on one side, the ivy, for when sending letters back home to someone in France. Just a thought maybe.
I found it on a hillside near some old rich reef workings from the 1800s.
Then that must be it one would think. A wax seal made by or for a French gold rush days, mid to late 1800s , treasure hunter for when sending letters back home to a loved one perhaps. Id like to think that was the case. So more so a very personal seal between two very close people rather than a general one if you get what I mean.
That's awesome. Thanks very much. 👍
Im thinking solved yes!?

Yes, something along those lines. It's not unusual to see seal stamps with a pair of impressions that have some...

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice seal stamps. Can't help much, except that the first one has the popular motto "La liberté me rend fidelé" (Freedom keeps me faithful) and has similar imagery to this modern example made as a silver pendant:

Seal.jpg

Upvote 8
OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Nice seal stamps. Can't help much, except that the first one has the popular motto "La liberté me rend fidelé" (Freedom keeps me faithful) and has similar imagery to this modern example made as a silver pendant:

View attachment 2145941
Thanks, thats the picture for sure, thats one side figured out 👍

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, thats the picture for sure, thats one side figured out 👍

You're welcome.

The second one is also French and likely from the 1800s. The motto is less clear, but I’m pretty sure it reads “'Je Meurs Où Je M'Attache” and has a tree stump with ivy growing on it.

Similar to this one (also a modern reproduction as a silver pendant):

Seal2.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/454326586/faithful-ivy-pendant-i-cling-or-i-die?dd_referrer=https://www.google.co.uk/

Note that the seller doesn’t have the translation correct and gives it as “I Cling Or I Die”. The French “Ou” means “Or”, but with a grave accent over the “u” as “Où” it means “Where” (and accents are often not shown on capitalised letters.) So, it more appropriately translates as “I Die Where I Attach Myself” and, as such, it’s a “faithful ivy” seal stamp with an expression of devotion to a loved one until death.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
You're welcome.

The second one is also French and likely from the 1800s. The motto is less clear, but I’m pretty sure it reads “'Je Meurs Où Je M'Attache” and has a tree stump with ivy growing on it.

Similar to this one (also a modern reproduction as a silver pendant):

View attachment 2145996
https://www.etsy.com/listing/454326586/faithful-ivy-pendant-i-cling-or-i-die?dd_referrer=https://www.google.co.uk/

Note that the seller doesn’t have the translation correct and gives it as “I Cling Or I Die”. The French “Ou” means “Or”, but with a grave accent over the “u” as “Où” it means “Where” (and accents are often not shown on capitalised letters.) So, it more appropriately translates as “I Die Where I Attach Myself” and, as such, it’s a “faithful ivy” seal stamp with an expression of devotion to a loved one until death.
Great many thanks. Maybe it was made with that on one side, the ivy, for when sending letters back home to someone in France. Just a thought maybe.
Then that must be it one would think. A wax seal made by or for a French gold rush days, mid to late 1800s , treasure hunter for when sending letters back home to a loved one perhaps. Id like to think that was the case. So more so a very personal seal between two very close people rather than a general one if you get what I mean.
Im thinking solved yes!?

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im thinking solved yes!?

Yes, something along those lines. It's not unusual to see seal stamps with a pair of impressions that have some combination of two of the following purposes: official/business correspondence, general correspondence, family/friends correspondence, or love letters.

Upvote 1
Solution
OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Yes, something along those lines. It's not unusual to see seal stamps with a pair of impressions that have some combination of two of the following purposes: official/business correspondence, general correspondence, family/friends correspondence, or love letters.
Ahh, ok, yes im seeing what you mean a dual purpose one.
That's great, thanks very much for your help. After 2 decades I now know 👍
Solved.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions