🔎 UNIDENTIFIED 1984 p Penny. Doubled rim?

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_2923.jpeg

I am a little rusty when it comes to coins, so please bear with me.

I was looking at coins today, and found this. Something looked weird on the right side of the obverse, so I looked at it under a magnifier. This is what it showed. As you can see, it looks like there is a double rim on the right side of the obverse. I can see it with the naked eye also.

I’m not certain if this is worth anything or not, but what do you guys think? Is this a doubled coin?

Just curious.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The picture is not very clear at all, from what I can see it looks like a slightly misaligned die strike. Not really considered an error, just means the dies weren't perfectly centered and level but considered close enough. Quite common to find, in fact on some years of dimes it is more difficult to find one that is properly aligned.

Upvote 2

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The picture is not very clear at all, from what I can see it looks like a slightly misaligned die strike. Not really considered an error, just means the dies weren't perfectly centered and level but considered close enough. Quite common to find, in fact on some years of dimes it is more difficult to find one that is properly aligned.
Agreed.

Upvote 0

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Not any extra value, but some folks save/collect them. I have several nickels that were well-off center.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions