If someone knocked on YOUR door...?

Say someone approached your door and asked to metal detect a site on your property that you didn't p

• Tell them "Yes" and let them hunt the site

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
af1733 said:
BuckleBoy said:
af1733 said:
I'd have to say yes, but honestly how many of us here that own property haven't hunted already? Or perhaps even purchased the property, at least in part, because of some prime hunting areas?

True enough, but for folks that own a good bit of land, I can tell you this--old sites are not that obvious unless you're really looking. Civil War camps would never be discovered in a pasture without research or blind luck, and even in a plowed field they'd be tough to find. House sites are more obvious because of the glass and stoneware, but the earliest of the early ones have less of that material scattered about.

About half of the property owners I get permission from never knew that there was a house site on their land.

-Buckles
You're absolutely right, but I should have made myself more clear. How many metal detectorists own land that they haven't hunted? I agree that most "normal" folk buy land to own, farm, resell, etc. and never think twice about buying a detector....until someone shows up at their front door with one. ;D

You're right too, but I should have made myself more clear. We are good at finding sites, but to be honest we are not psychic. I've seen enough property owners oblivious to what signs are there (which we wouldn't be as detectorists), but I've also hunted many a house site or campsite where there were no visible signs above ground.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
BuckleBoy said:
af1733 said:
BuckleBoy said:
af1733 said:
I'd have to say yes, but honestly how many of us here that own property haven't hunted already? Or perhaps even purchased the property, at least in part, because of some prime hunting areas?

True enough, but for folks that own a good bit of land, I can tell you this--old sites are not that obvious unless you're really looking. Civil War camps would never be discovered in a pasture without research or blind luck, and even in a plowed field they'd be tough to find. House sites are more obvious because of the glass and stoneware, but the earliest of the early ones have less of that material scattered about.

About half of the property owners I get permission from never knew that there was a house site on their land.

-Buckles
You're absolutely right, but I should have made myself more clear. How many metal detectorists own land that they haven't hunted? I agree that most "normal" folk buy land to own, farm, resell, etc. and never think twice about buying a detector....until someone shows up at their front door with one. ;D

You're right too, but I should have made myself more clear. We are good at finding sites, but to be honest we are not psychic. I've seen enough property owners oblivious to what signs are there (which we wouldn't be as detectorists), but I've also hunted many a house site or campsite where there were no visible signs above ground.
Also a good point. Well done, BB! Going back to the original topic, I'd have to say yes, and then ask if they minded my hunting with them. Might be a good opportunity to find a new hunting buddy!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
af1733 said:
BuckleBoy said:
af1733 said:
BuckleBoy said:
af1733 said:

-Buckles

Also a good point. Well done, BB! Going back to the original topic, I'd have to say yes, and then ask if they minded my hunting with them. Might be a good opportunity to find a new hunting buddy!

Absolutely. :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
many folks are mentally "asleep" to visual clues that we as detectorist would go --alarm , alarm interesting stuff to be found here .

folks everyday walk by signs of old homes and camp sites with out ever thinking of it a bit.

I voted yes hunt it with them --to ovesee that they refilled holes , respected the land and see what they found -- while hunting i would try to "milk" the how he found out info that i was unaware of out of em -- you are never to old to learn a new trick or two

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions