If someone knocked on YOUR door...?

Say someone approached your door and asked to metal detect a site on your property that you didn't p

• Tell them "Yes" and let them hunt the site

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mac232

Aug 18, 2007
Greasy Creek , TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I voted YES and hunt the site with them . I,m not greedy and after all they found the place I didn't even know about .

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd welcome the opportunity to possibly learn from someoone who did the research. I'd watch him closely and if he didn't fill his holes I'd kick his butt off ! That's just the way I am! Monty

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
There are WAY too many variable to reply...

The first being the tone, appearance, and ability to communicate of the requester.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I'd welcome the opportunity to possibly learn from someoone who did the research. I'd watch him closely and if he didn't fill his holes I'd kick his butt off ! That's just the way I am! Monty

If he found a site on my property that I didn't know about it, I'd let him hunt it if he shared his research secrets with me. :wink:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mac232 said:
I voted YES and hunt the site with them . I,m not greedy and after all they found the place I didn't even know about .

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
BuckleBoy said:
Monty said:

If he found a site on my property that I didn't know about it, I'd let him hunt it if he shared his research secrets with me. :wink:
I would let him hunt with me since he did the hard work of finding the place.More than likely you have just
found a new friend.

fortbball9

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I voted No.

My relatives know everything about my property, and if someone knew that many details about what's on my land, I'd tell 'em to leave immediately so I could go huntin' it myself!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Too much interaction with our livestock would have an adverse effect on personal safety.
I am sorry I voted no.
simply because I have a 7 year old great Nephew who MDs the property.
It would break his heart to see his "Uncle" give that special privilege to a stranger.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wanna say but ya know i aint right LaTely

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I'd have to say yes, but honestly how many of us here that own property haven't hunted already? Or perhaps even purchased the property, at least in part, because of some prime hunting areas?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
af1733 said:
I'd have to say yes, but honestly how many of us here that own property haven't hunted already? Or perhaps even purchased the property, at least in part, because of some prime hunting areas?

True enough, but for folks that own a good bit of land, I can tell you this--old sites are not that obvious unless you're really looking. Civil War camps would never be discovered in a pasture without research or blind luck, and even in a plowed field they'd be tough to find. House sites are more obvious because of the glass and stoneware, but the earliest of the early ones have less of that material scattered about.

About half of the property owners I get permission from never knew that there was a house site on their land.

-Buckles

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
BuckleBoy said:
af1733 said:

True enough, but for folks that own a good bit of land, I can tell you this--old sites are not that obvious unless you're really looking. Civil War camps would never be discovered in a pasture without research or blind luck, and even in a plowed field they'd be tough to find. House sites are more obvious because of the glass and stoneware, but the earliest of the early ones have less of that material scattered about.

About half of the property owners I get permission from never knew that there was a house site on their land.

-Buckles
You're absolutely right, but I should have made myself more clear. How many metal detectorists own land that they haven't hunted? I agree that most "normal" folk buy land to own, farm, resell, etc. and never think twice about buying a detector....until someone shows up at their front door with one. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread