Garrett GTA 500 detector help

Mutt

Nov 18, 2005
I have a Garrett GTA 500 I bought about 12 years ago. Works good as far as i.d. ing the item and the depth, but I was wondering if maybe by changing the coil, I could get more depth? About the deepest it will go on the scale is about 4 - 5". I have the 8.5" Cross fire coil on it (that's what came on it when new). Does a larger coil go deepper and a smaller coil just pin point better or what? Can someone educate me? Thanks

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A larger coil can go deeper and mainly it has a bigger foot print to cover more area per sweep so overlapping still lets you cover more ground. A smaller coil does not go as deep but it can allow you to hunt closer to metal fences, playground equipement and trash to find good targets that you would miss with the bigger coil.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
general rule of thumb -- big coils cover more ground and run a bit deeper --- smaller coils due to size pin piont easier and pick thru trashy & mixed signal areas (due to items being close together) but detect a bit shallower -- small coils tend to be able to get closer to play ground equiptment and such also . hope that helps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread