Charles Kenworthy vs. the CIA and Howard Hughes

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
In 1598 the San Pedro was going from Acapulco to Manila. It is not listed by name in the return that year, and is not listed afterwards. The list is not complete, and does not mention the names of some of the ships. It seems like the San Pedro was just a nao, but it could have perhaps been more. The Santa Margarita and San Geronimo seem to get named a lot in this time period, and are part of a group of 4 to 5 ships.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuzco,

Captain Carmeno piloted the San Pedro from Acapulco to Manila, then for some unknown reason switched to the San Augustin, and sailed her back just to have the San Augustin sink just North of San Francisco.

Best-Mike

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,

What do you think of the article I posted - it is a 1598 shipwreck, off the Catalina coast? Maybe? Maybe not? It would have been 4 years after Kenworthy.

B

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Mike,

What do you think of the article I posted - it is a 1598 shipwreck, off the Catalina coast? Maybe? Maybe not? It would have been 4 years after Kenworthy.

B

What do I think? My brain is smoldering right now! I have about two hundred pages of letters from everyone to everyone else regarding the Dutchman's Lost Mine spread out in front of me. I have about six websites open on the subject of Manila Galleons. I think I'm going to have an aneurysm! HAHAHA

The reference to Fathom Eight (I believe) was for the wreck of the San Augustin North of San Francisco. I may be wrong, but it sounds familiar. For some reason that galleon doesn't ring the bell. I am still stuck on Capitana. I don't know why.

Best-Mike

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D ;D ;D

Sorry, Mike - I have a bunch of discs out, too!!! Searching them, and some other paperwork. ;D ;D ;D ;D

I thought the Capitana was later, but I may be wrong, too, so........

I'll go back to the LDM page, and leave this for later!

B

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Nice. What I now realize is that the San Pedro must have sailed from Manilla in june/july 1596 or 1597.

Looks like 1597. I will send an email to Cruikshanks and let him know some of this stuff.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the San Pedro suffered so much damage on the trip from Acapulco to the Philippines, it had to stay in port for repairs longer than planned. That was why Captain Carmeno switched ships from the San Pedro to the San Augustin because it was leaving sooner.

Just a thought.

Best-Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, do you find any mention of the San Pedro after 1598?

Maybe between you, me, and Beth, we might have a Spring/Summer Project! If not, I know a couple of people in California Wreck Divers who might like a visit to Catalina. HAHAHA

Best-Mike

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,

Wouldn't that be cool????????? :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Do you know how to dive? (I mean the right way, as opposed to jumping off a sprngboard and "diving" into the water) :laughing9: :laughing9:

I have some diving equipment - probably no good now, I've had it for years and I weigh more than I did back then. I got it all so I could learn to dive, but, never did >:(

I promised I wouldn't dive while I still smoked - and I do want to try it before I die!!! (so, I really have to quit).

B

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense
Los Angeles Times Oct 28, 1974

Copper plates from a 400-year-old galleon were found off Santa Catalina Island, said Charles Kenworthy of Encino, who heads the Quest Exploration Co. He said the plates were manufactured around 1570, according to Stanford Research Institute Kenworthy owns exploration leases

:coffee2:

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
:thumbsup:

Gary

Attachments

• sp.JPG
    sp.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 965

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
No, it can't have sunk in June. That is just wrong.

June/July was the time of departure for the galleons from Manila. Arrival dates were usually in November to January.

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
cuzcosquirrel said:
No, it can't have sunk in June. That is just wrong.

June/July was the time of departure for the galleons from Manila. Arrival dates were usually in November to January.

You could be right, I came across this article that mentions the king sending/or wanting to send the San Pedro to Ireland !!! it appears to be around 1601 ? unless it was a different San Pedro.

Gary

Attachments

• spg.JPG
    spg.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 925

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Somebody mentioned the San Felipe earlier. wreckage from the San Felipe was found a couple of years ago somewhere along thh coast of Baja California. The artifacts are on display at the San Diego Maritime Museum. It was lost in 1576, I think, speaking fromm memory.

Also still missing and unaccounted for are the San Juan, the San Juanillo from the 1570s, the San Antonio from 1604, the San Christo de Burgos from 1696 and the San Francisco Xavier from 1704.

Mariner

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It couldn't have been lost in 1576. It is recorded that Captain Carmeno commanded the San Felipe on its' trip from Acapulco to Manila in 1597, then for some unknown reason he switched ships to the San Augustin which sailed to California and sank North of San Francisco in 1598.

Best-Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Are you saying NONE of those ships sank in June???????

That isn't possible.

B

I think that the port records of all those ships are available to researchers. The month and day the arrived and left Manila/Acapulco.

Simple to research I would think.

Best-Mike

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
There was a special monsoon wind that blew from west to east that formed in June and July. They caught this wind as they left Manila and used it to sail down the Embocadero. There were of course some wrecks along this course.

The wreck of the San Agustin is set at Nov. 30th, 1595.

The San Felipe I was wrecked in 1576 near Guerro Negro.

Cavendish got 104 pounds of gold off the Santa Ana, or 22,000 pesos including a large number of Spanish "pistoles" coins. The total value of the shipment was estimated at 2.5 milllion pesos with most of that being in silks and porcelin. This amount of gold seems ununual, but shows early on that they were interested in sending silver and returning gold.

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
What happened to the ship during the 3 year period July 5th 1595 to June 1598 ?

January 1594

Stationed in New Spain (Mexico) , Sebastian Rodriguez Cermeno is commissioned by King Felipe II of Spain to chart the California coast. Cermeno leaves Acapulco in March for the Philippines in his ship the San Pedro.

July 5, 1595

Cermeno's ship the San Pedro is unsafe for the return voyage, so he leases the San Augustin and sails from the Philippines for California's coast.

Nov. 4, 1595

Cermeno's crew sights land along California's northern coast near Point St. George.

. Nov. 6, 1595

Cermeno sails south along the coast and anchors at Drakes Bay.

-- Nov. 7, 1595

Once ashore, Cermeno claims the area in the name of the king of Spain. He calls the bay "La Bahia de San Francisco," in honor of St. Francis.

-- Nov. 15, 1595

Cermeno and his crew build a shore encampment and used it as their base for exploring the area.

-- Late Nov., 1595

The San Augustin runs aground in a sudden sea storm. The crew salvages some of the silk bales but much of the heavier cargo is left behind.

-- Dec. 8, 1595

Cermeno and about 70 men take a long dugout boat down the coast hoping to return to Acapulco. Cermeno misses sighting the San Francisco Bay.

. January 1596

After a seven-week voyage, Cermeno and crew arrive in Navidad, Mexico.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread