437.9 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 3

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a fake, it's a tourist souvenir, they are found on beaches fairly common. That is why it is so heavily corroded, also it has a raised edge, reales do not have raised lips.

OP
OP
D

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024
Mmmmm. Maybe with some more details i can help narrow this down. What beach 😂

Kidding/not kidding. Sure looks like one but im a rookie. I’ll let some the more experienced guys speak up.
This was found on a N.J. Beach after super storm Sandy. They have been doing a lot of beach replenishment, sucking sand from the ocean bottom and putting it on the beaches. Wasn’t sure what exactly I found. Until doing a little research. Looking forward to doing more detecting this summer.

Linesider

Apr 16, 2024
SFL. Dade,keys,treasure coast
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This was found on a N.J. Beach after super storm Sandy. They have been doing a lot of beach replenishment, sucking sand from the ocean bottom and putting it on the beaches. Wasn’t sure what exactly I found. Until doing a little research. Looking forward to doing more detecting this summer.
Yeah they do the same here. melboune area just finishing there’s up. Since November. Sucking sand up to 5 miles off the coast onto the beaches. Was talking to them last week..wouldn’t let me detect in that direction.

OP
OP
D

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024
Yeah they do the same here. melboune area just finishing there’s up. Since November. Sucking sand up to 5 miles off the coast onto the beaches. Was talking to them last week..wouldn’t let me detect in that direction.
I metal detected Melbourne Beach recently. Just found a handful of modern change that trip. Melbourne is a nice area. I enjoyed it.

OP
OP
D

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024
It is a fake, it's a tourist souvenir, they are found on beaches fairly common. That is why it is so heavily corroded, also it has a raised edge, reales do not have raised lips.
Yes that’s the first thought that came to my mind too. It can’t possibly be real. You just can’t find real pirate treasure on a beach. Thanks for your response.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that’s the first thought that came to my mind too. It can’t possibly be real. You just can’t find real pirate treasure on a beach. Thanks for your response.
Oh it is possible, especially on some Fl beaches after storms, but they will not have lips, reales were also made of silver and would not be corroded, they turn black, but not corroded.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024

Attachments

• IMG_5428.jpeg
    IMG_5428.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 29

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 (Stock Coil)
Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Minelab X-Terra Pro (Stock Coil)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem was you asked first. It's always in their agenda to immediately say NO. Better to ask forgiveness after the fact in some cases. This is one of those cases.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 (Stock Coil)
Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Minelab X-Terra Pro (Stock Coil)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sadly it is unlikely this is real. You could take it to a jewelry or pawn shop and get them to check for silver content.

Linesider

Apr 16, 2024
SFL. Dade,keys,treasure coast
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The problem was you asked first. It's always in their agenda to immediately say NO. Better to ask forgiveness after the fact in some cases. This is one of those cases.
Oh im not the type to ask for permission. They were sitting guard at the beach entrance. Soon they seen me. “ stay on this side the gate (that orange plastic constitution gate) then another guy at the water line kepping other that com from walkin down the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread