Archeologist and Metal Detector Laws in Maryland

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Thanks for posting! It's a pure shame that some archaeologists cannot have an open mind!

Cavers5

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
Definitely doesn't put detectors in a good light. It is a shame I can do most anything (hunt, fish, etc...) on these state lands, but I'm not allowed to MD. Seems like you need a permit to do most anything anymore.

alexndad

Aug 14, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Starting out with Radio Shack
Would be best to speak to someone in the park with authority. Have the ethics page and ready to sign and abide by it. Remember that most of those guys share the same passion as we do. Do not make it a public spectacle or say..."The scientists are against us". If u know your shit concerning a piece of property...and I do mean extensively thru reasearch, they can be very cool. But don't be a blowhard.... the Guy found my missing son at Discus Mill road in A.A. county aftr 3 hours, and was the coolest guy. Coplete Respect and not an attidute will help us. We Want to find Widow Rithchie's Tavern,,,,Let me knw........

pulltabmike

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2004
I know the archaeologist extremely well who made that statement. Unfortunatly, his peers got the best of him. All they are going to do is hurt themselves in the long run, I know I will no longer pass any info on to the Historical trust >:(
hh...Mike

rivercatguy

Oct 9, 2004
Indialantic, Florida
I recently found out that Harford County Parks & Recreation no longer will issue Metal Detecting Permits. I had and have a great relationship with the Park Manager of Swan Harbor Farm; he said that he received the Directive from his superiors. I contacted Paul Yanni, Chief of Recreation for Harford County and while he was sympathetic to our rights to pursue this hobby, this stemmed from irresponsible detecting and clashes with Park Staff; most recently an incident with an out of State detector. The decision came from Harford County's' Legal Department.

I am following up with trying to get the decision revoked or amended by recommending that irresponsible and illegal activities be pursued and prosecuted and not denying us our rights due to the actions of a few.

Anyone interested in more information concerning this can contact me directly.

I also have property owner permission to detect on one of the oldest standing Harford County homes. This property is slated for development in the near future.If you're interested in detecting this site with me, contact me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread