OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all this rain I've had plenty of time to work on my shaker table. I removed the casters and mounted the new rails that was the easy part the fun started with fastening the table to the rails. The aluminum channel was a little too narrow for the bolts to seat properly into the bearing blocks. So, I notched the edge of the channel this gave me access to tighten the channel down with the top resting on the channels. I used the channels as a templet to drill 6 holes through the shaker table with careful measurements The top fit on the first try lol. There is very little clearance between the tabletop and the rails a real pain to start a nut that's a story in itself. The first test I was doing the happy dance for a few seconds it was moving back and forth perfect then quit. I forgot to tighten the adjusting screw on the arm. Test number two ran perfect for a minute then quit! the v belt started slipping. It was a long day I started making a bracket to adjust the motor Maybe I'll finish that tonight Happy Mining.

Attachments

• 20240220_093901.jpg
    20240220_093901.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240220_121035.jpg
    20240220_121035.jpg
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240220_120954(0).jpg
    20240220_120954(0).jpg
    841.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240220_093910.jpg
    20240220_093910.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sure you're aware, but here's what I found about the linear rail and bearing system. You need to keep them clean, and use a good lubricant on the rails. I saw this on a video. But there was no mention of lubricating the bearings. I think the bearings pick up the PTFE base lubricant as they pass over the rails. I'm also guessing that the reason you see these rails and bearing in enclosed boxes is to keep them as clean as possible. This is one reason I am covering my equipment after each use with a good tarp. It'll keep the dust from collecting.

Did you get the rail stops? I got them for that mean demon that makes things go wrong for me. Figured the coupling on the drive shaft, and attachment point to the table would fail if that monster has anything to do with things. Don't want the table flying through the air. :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you're aware, but here's what I found about the linear rail and bearing system. You need to keep them clean, and use a good lubricant on the rails. I saw this on a video. But there was no mention of lubricating the bearings. I think the bearings pick up the PTFE base lubricant as they pass over the rails. I'm also guessing that the reason you see these rails and bearing in enclosed boxes is to keep them as clean as possible. This is one reason I am covering my equipment after each use with a good tarp. It'll keep the dust from collecting.

Did you get the rail stops? I got them for that mean demon that makes things go wrong for me. Figured the coupling on the drive shaft, and attachment point to the table would fail if that monster has anything to do with things. Don't want the table flying through the air. :laughing7:
I didn't buy the stops I missed those when I ordered but I tried it with the return springs just in case. I think a few drops of oil next to the bearing blocks will take care of the bearings with the short travel.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made a few changes added bushings to my drive arm and bolted the adjuster so that it stays tight when running. Made an adjuster for the drive motor to stop the slipping v - belt. Another test it ran really smooth but way too fast ordered a 12"-inch 1/2" bore v belt pulley 10" on now should slow it down to about 123 rpms from 170 plus. When I'm satisfied with the action I'll start on the plumbing and tailing trough. And a little electrical like an on/off outdoor switch with ground fault plug.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, my 12"-inch v belt 1/2" bore pulley arrived but I needed a 5/8" bore don't order when tired. I drilled it out and made some modifications to the drive pulley and arm remounted all the parts. I like the speed and the stroke is down to 1" inch from 3" 1/2 inches and I also added a variable speed vibration motor from a failed project. This contraption is getting heavy but I don't need to move it very far back to electrical and plumbing. Happy Mining

Attachments

• 20240306_154327.jpg
    20240306_154327.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240306_154402.jpg
    20240306_154402.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240306_154318.jpg
    20240306_154318.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, my 12"-inch v belt 1/2" bore pulley arrived but I needed a 5/8" bore don't order when tired. I drilled it out and made some modifications to the drive pulley and arm remounted all the parts. I like the speed and the stroke is down to 1" inch from 3" 1/2 inches and I also added a variable speed vibration motor from a failed project. This contraption is getting heavy but I don't need to move it very far back to electrical and plumbing. Happy Mining
Like the project you got going. Question what's the orange motor for? Looks like a concrete vibrator. Mixing a vibration in with the stroke on the table?

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's what it is hoping it will help.
Just a thought here remember you are introducing a different frequency range (the orange motor vibration with different speeds you control) super imposed on the same plane or cycle through the plane that the stroke frequency is on. Each frequency will effect different minerals / sizes of particles possibility effecting the pattern movement of what you are trying to catch on that single plane.

If you have both high speed and lower speed cameras you will be able to see some or all of this for your self.

You will have to fine tune to measure the effect or out come that is good for your set up. There could be some charts out there about frequency effects on different materials.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought here remember you are introducing a different frequency range (the orange motor vibration with different speeds you control) super imposed on the same plane or cycle through the plane that the stroke frequency is on. Each frequency will effect different minerals / sizes of particles possibility effecting the pattern movement of what you are trying to catch on that single plane.

If you have both high speed and lower speed cameras you will be able to see some or all of this for your self.

You will have to fine tune to measure the effect or out come that is good for your set up. There could be some charts out there about frequency effects on different materials.
Give me a minute while a take a big hit on my pipe then I'll read this again.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Instead of coffee time :coffee: it is now time for the cat :cat: to cut the 'Bud :occasion14: Out' and just keep 'Nipping at it until it is gone' :drunken_smilie::drunken_smilie: :icon_cheers:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a trickle of water but my son was able to sluice a little last night. Not a good photo but there's a lot of micro gold in the pan along with a few pieces.
Many people feel lucky just to get the micro values and not the pickers that are shown.
Very nice pan for most people.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a trickle of water building small dams to sluice and pan with. But there's enough water to wash the mud off the metal detector finds. You got to love waste piles

Attachments

• 8152DBFE-(1).jpg
    8152DBFE-(1).jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 49D51E5F-.jpg
    49D51E5F-.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240309_141156.jpg
    20240309_141156.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread