🥇 BANNER This doesn't happen often. Old Hikok wallet with 4 silvers in it, 10k 1943 class ring and an 1875cc dime.

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doing mostly public places I don't usually have hunts like this. I've been working a vast area of old farm land. Lot of ground to cover. Needle in hay stack of shotgun shells type place. Got the usual shot shell signal and saw a class ring in the clump.

*1943 10k ring from Bever College. I definitely snagged the bottom of band with shovel. Nothing a jeweler can't fix. It's been sized once and appears to have a crack in one of the sizing seams. 9.11 grams with center stone.

*Had a low tone out of the fields on a trail. A destroyed wallet and I was picking up its snap button and zipper. Moved a few more leaves and had a high tone. Really shiny 1964 Washington. I concluded at one point it must have been in the now mangled wallet. Swept around leaves with pointer and 2 Washington's, a merc and clad nickel all laying on top each other like fallen dominoes. Wallet was made by Hikok mfg Co in New York. I think they sold that brand at sears and maybe other stores? Hikok made men's accessories like belt buckles, wallets ect

*kept going on trail and got the 1875cc. Unfortunately I got the front as it was up against a baby tree. Back is fine , go figure. I'll post a picture when I get home.

Other non precious items in bigger group shot. Think that's a gas key?

Attachments

• 20240310_181524.jpg
    20240310_181524.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 54,939
  • 20240310_154635.jpg
    20240310_154635.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 491
  • IMG_20240310_183540_728.jpg
    IMG_20240310_183540_728.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 452
  • 20240311_180217.jpg
    20240311_180217.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Upvote 82
OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing finds to say the least.
At first I thought that “Jack” next to the dice was a CW caltrop. May be too small?
Congrats,
MM
You might be on to something because it was a few feet from this Eagle button. I think it's a civil war era staff officers coat button? Would have been iron backed. Better picture in one of the group photo of my 2nd post. Pocket full of caltrops?

Attachments

• 20231126_131703.jpg
    20231126_131703.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be on to something because it was a few feet from this Eagle button. I think it's a civil war era staff officers coat button? Would have been iron backed. Better picture in one of the group photo of my 2nd post. Pocket full of caltrops?
Even that padlock is old too. 👍

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even that padlock is old too. 👍
Yes. It's a #512 W. Bohannan Brooklyn NY Patent May 26th 1885. Screen shot is from their 1894 catalog though I can't say exactly when they started making that particular model. Majority of stuff here is 1870s to 1970 trash. Some older items have appeared though like bits of pewter spoons, a 1788 real, 2 capped busts and a few flat buttons.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240304_233520_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240304_233520_Samsung Notes.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 5

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing mostly public places I don't usually have hunts like this. I've been working a vast area of old farm land. Lot of ground to cover. Needle in hay stack of shotgun shells type place. Got the usual shot shell signal and saw a class ring in the clump.

*1943 10k ring from Bever College. I definitely snagged the bottom of band with shovel. Nothing a jeweler can't fix. It's been sized once and appears to have a crack in one of the sizing seams. 9.11 grams with center stone.

*Had a low tone out of the fields on a trail. A destroyed wallet and I was picking up its snap button and zipper. Moved a few more leaves and had a high tone. Really shiny 1964 Washington. I concluded at one point it must have been in the now mangled wallet. Swept around leaves with pointer and 2 Washington's, a merc and clad nickel all laying on top each other like fallen dominoes. Wallet was made by Hikok mfg Co in New York. I think they sold that brand at sears and maybe other stores? Hikok made men's accessories like belt buckles, wallets ect

*kept going on trail and got the 1875cc. Unfortunately I got the front as it was up against a baby tree. Back is fine , go figure. I'll post a picture when I get home.

Awesome Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

really cool assortment of finds, well done

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go! I found a wallet once. Unlike yours, the one I found only had disintegrated papers. Are you going to chase the owner of the ring?
I will try. It has initials in it so it's possible. At least try and find their family.

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow. Congrats

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

R B D I like this post It shows that sometimes you are just not connecting with anything and kind of giving up Ad then you find something that starts a chain reaction I have a placet hat I have been bottle digging metal detecting for 20 plus years Over time I have found some pretty god item Lots of horse shoes some tools to logging a small bottle dump I have not been able to say I have proof but I am fairly certain it was a location that a work crew spent their nights in a bunk house sleeping headquarters while they where going about what they where there to do Now understand it was a slow process to put together the different items I found and see the big picture For example the bottle dump was mostly filled with small medicine bottles with few food type utensils More like a privy to a group of workers that stayed there on a weekly basis where there on a regular basis I also found I think was a building that as a stable for livestock Horses must likely in view of the fact I found 6 or mor horse shoes in a very Small area So it started out as just a small bottled dump But all the different items point to something more One o the last tmes I

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
R B D I like this post It shows that sometimes you are just not connecting with anything and kind of giving up Ad then you find something that starts a chain reaction I have a placet hat I have been bottle digging metal detecting for 20 plus years Over time I have found some pretty god item Lots of horse shoes some tools to logging a small bottle dump I have not been able to say I have proof but I am fairly certain it was a location that a work crew spent their nights in a bunk house sleeping headquarters while they where going about what they where there to do Now understand it was a slow process to put together the different items I found and see the big picture For example the bottle dump was mostly filled with small medicine bottles with few food type utensils More like a privy to a group of workers that stayed there on a weekly basis where there on a regular basis I also found I think was a building that as a stable for livestock Horses must likely in view of the fact I found 6 or mor horse shoes in a very Small area So it started out as just a small bottled dump But all the different items point to something more Your post makes me want ro go ack to look for othe items I MAY HAVE MISSED

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
R B D I like this post It shows that sometimes you are just not connecting with anything and kind of giving up Ad then you find something that starts a chain reaction I have a placet hat I have been bottle digging metal detecting for 20 plus years Over time I have found some pretty god item Lots of horse shoes some tools to logging a small bottle dump I have not been able to say I have proof but I am fairly certain it was a location that a work crew spent their nights in a bunk house sleeping headquarters while they where going about what they where there to do Now understand it was a slow process to put together the different items I found and see the big picture For example the bottle dump was mostly filled with small medicine bottles with few food type utensils More like a privy to a group of workers that stayed there on a weekly basis where there on a regular basis I also found I think was a building that as a stable for livestock Horses must likely in view of the fact I found 6 or mor horse shoes in a very Small area So it started out as just a small bottled dump But all the different items point to something more One o the last tmes I
It can be a slow place because of all the walking. As they say good things come to those who wait. Really for me it's about documenting a site's history and less about how many silvers I can find in a year. If you go back to my post on the printers cabinet I'm restoring for finds if a site is very productive it gets its own half drawer so it's relics and shards can stay together. This spot has its own drawer.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great find! Probably find more goodies on that land. I am thinking some guy set his wallet, ring, maybe coins aside when he was getting ready to do some heavy work. I don't think he would have dropped all that in one spot accidently. Any, you have a great permission. I once found a clad spill and some decomposed men's underware about 20 feet back from the Chattahoochee river in North Atlanta. It was about 1" in the decomposed dirt, under leaves.

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find! Probably find more goodies on that land. I am thinking some guy set his wallet, ring, maybe coins aside when he was getting ready to do some heavy work. I don't think he would have dropped all that in one spot accidently. Any, you have a great permission. I once found a clad spill and some decomposed men's underware about 20 feet back from the Chattahoochee river in North Atlanta. It was about 1" in the decomposed dirt, under leaves.
Thank you! The ring was on way in by a trashy dump area. Another shotgun shell I thought...

The wallet and the Washington's and the merc were all next to each other off a trail. Wallet had two fallen apart photos in it. One looked like a little kid. Seated not that far away under a tree.

For silver coins I'm at 3 barber dimes (1892, 1893-S and 1905), 1870 Canadian dime, 1894 s barber quarter, 3 Washington's, a 1944 merc, a 1788 flattened real and a 1/2 real cob from 1697. Few eagle buttons, piece of shoulder scale, and 3 crotal bells. And a bunch of other stuff you can see in me second post.

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I would call your day a 10 out of 10. What an assortment. Posts like this malw me want to take the jump and buy a detector, I've been an awed viewer on this site for many years, but never made the jump just yet. Congrats.
Go ahead and get one You"l be hooked like the rest of us dirt DIGGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread