🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Need some opinions. Found this recently and can't decide if it's worked or natural. Looks like it has been pecked and is very semetrical but no grove

Rockdog

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2024
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20240428_222952.jpg
20240428_223001.jpg
20240428_223105.jpg
20240428_223019.jpg
20240428_223039.jpg
20240428_223052.jpg

OP
OP
Rockdog

Rockdog

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2024
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I tend to agree. It was just such an interesting shape that I hesitated to toss it without some other opinions. It was found in an area where I have found quite a few artifacts. Thanks for the feeback.

Upvote 1

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like natural water shaping to me too.
I tend to agree. It was just such an interesting shape that I hesitated to toss it without some other opinions. It was found in an area where I have found quite a few artifacts. Thanks for the feeback.
Then keep it! I've got a box of interestingly-shaped rocks... someplace... 🙄

Upvote 2

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Rockdog,
Welcome to the "Show"!

The Native Americans that originally lived in Arkansas were of the Caddo, Chickasaw, Osage, Quapaw, and Tunica tribes. It is apparent that the Osage, Caddo, and Quapaw inhabited the majority of the land.

The problem you will have here on this forum is...Even though, I would have liked to use this Rock as a tool, it shows no form of man made physical interaction?

Same looking stone from this area?

Rocks Arkansa.jpg
f

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, natural stone.

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Rockdog,
Welcome to the "Show"!

The Native Americans that originally lived in Arkansas were of the Caddo, Chickasaw, Osage, Quapaw, and Tunica tribes. It is apparent that the Osage, Caddo, and Quapaw inhabited the majority of the land.

The problem you will have here on this forum is...Even though, I would have liked to use this Rock as a tool, it shows no form of man made physical interaction?

Same looking stone from this area?

View attachment 2146353 f
So what is the problem actually?

That a newbie asks for an opinion of the readership if the item was worked or natural.
Fact which they(the readership) probably have 3000 yrs combined of experience.

I understand that it was possible that a rock could of been used for a tool at some point without being worked.
But there's no real definitive proof it actually was. (no eyewitness accounts)

The readership says basically it has, or hasn't been worked by man.
This also gives the OP an honest opinion from the 1000's of yrs of experience.
If there is doubt the readership will state different options.

Any other answer as a "Maybe/possible/could have" leads the person down the path of collecting rocks that have a natural shape to them, as being a Native American Artifact.

The readership over the years has correctly ID hundreds of examples shown to be just rocks. ( Many are pretty cool looking works of nature I might add)

It's better to tell the simple truth than trying to whitewash or to be putting lipstick on a pig.

Upvote 2

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without some kind of proof a stone was worked by man or has been used by man they are simply rocks. Just because a stone has a strange shape or fits someone's hand is no proof it is or ever was an artifact. It is like finding a coin dated 1776 and claim it once belonged to Thomas Jefferson.

One thing for sure Native Americans did not chip, peck or ground places on stones for their fingers or hands.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions