Yorkshire Relish?

ForumRunner_20130424_213356.png

Upvote 0
there were many products that were by appointment to the royal house...every thing you can think of...this is one of them...looking to date label....edit...apparently there are aniversary and commemorative versions...a good avenue for research.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Honi soit qui mal y pense" is a French phrase meaning: "Shamed be he who thinks evil of it" It is the motto of the English Order of the Garter.

Your find looks to be part of an early label for Yorkshire Relish; here ya go:
Yorkshire Relish Poster

Neat find :) Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello grasshopper,

By George, Breezie's got it! 8-)

I wanted to ask you the material. I would think lead, but it looks so coppery and appears to be thicker than foil. What size is it? Do you have a feel for the age?

Goodall, Backhouse was the only firm with a Royal Warrant for Yorkshire Relish, and they defended it.

"Goodall, Backhouse was established in 1837, in Leeds, as Bell and Brooke, producing a range of products, including baking powder, mushroom ketchup, ginger beer powder and what the company described as its “celebrated Yorkshire Relish”.

• 1858 Changed name to present style.

The success achieved by the company in building up the brand name meant that in the 1890s the company was prepared to take a rival sauce manufacturer to court to protect its brand. Holbrook and Co had started to produce a sauce that it also called Yorkshire Relish, but this was not to last, as eventually the House of Lords ruled that only Goodall, Backhouse was entitled to use the term Yorkshire Relish. This case presents an example of how bottles were playing a role in brand development and marketing." Collectable_Bottles_Items

wp775938f5_01_06.jpg

Upvote 0
surf said:
Hello grasshopper,

By George, Breezie's got it! 8-)

I wanted to ask you the material. I would think lead, but it looks so coppery and appears to be thicker than foil. What size is it? Do you have a feel for the age?

Goodall, Backhouse was the only firm with a Royal Warrant for Yorkshire Relish, and they defended it.

"Goodall, Backhouse was established in 1837, in Leeds, as Bell and Brooke, producing a range of products, including baking powder, mushroom ketchup, ginger beer powder and what the company described as its “celebrated Yorkshire Relish”.

• 1858 Changed name to present style.

The success achieved by the company in building up the brand name meant that in the 1890s the company was prepared to take a rival sauce manufacturer to court to protect its brand. Holbrook and Co had started to produce a sauce that it also called Yorkshire Relish, but this was not to last, as eventually the House of Lords ruled that only Goodall, Backhouse was entitled to use the term Yorkshire Relish. This case presents an example of how bottles were playing a role in brand development and marketing." Collectable_Bottles_Items

I think it's stamped brass. Its definitely thicker than foil but still thin.

Upvote 0
The Coat Of Arms is post-1902, therefore thats the earliest date it could be.

I have never heard of this sauce, so I wonder when it died out.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back