Yet anouther person trying to ID a couple old buttons. :)

pp13bnos

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2005
I hunt a old town site on private property, a couple miles from my house. From time to time, you find some pretty neat stuff. While I mostly look for coins, occasionally, an old axe head pops up, or musket balls, and from time to time, a button or two. I was wondering if anyone had any type of idea of what I might have found. Any info on them would be great. :) Thanks, CJ

DSC_00102m1.jpg

DSC_0009m1.jpg

DSC_0001m1.jpg

general service button (army) --- navy button--- early type great seal button ---back markings whould be quite useful in iding rm.

I'll try to clean them up a little bit and post some pictures tomorrow of them. Although the Navy Button lost a fight with a disc or some type of field implement, so the back of the button is MIA. :(

ok --best rough guess -- #1 general service button --union army --(pre civil war thru indain war era ) #2 civil war era naval button union by scovill mg co. #3 -- early 1902 model great seal button --lined background 2 -- piece model

I would have to say that the General Service button would be post civil war.
All of the Eagle buttons that I have seen with the wings almost flat across the top was
post CW.As best as I recall.The other two I believe ivan salis has already ID correctly.
But the backmarks will tell for sure.

fortbball9

the eagle general service button design was used from pre civil war thru the later plains indain wars era (post civil war)-- I think your correct on the flat top style wing being post civil war thus (indain war)* the other 2 I think I got dead on.

ivan salis said:
the eagle general service button design was used from pre civil war thru the later plains indain wars era (post civil war)-- I think your correct on the flat top style wing being post civil war thus (indain war)* the other 2 I think I got dead on.

Yes,I do believe you are correct on the other two.
Great ID Ivan;

fortbball9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back