Yet Another Newbie Question On Which One And Why?

Cornbread243

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2024
North Carolina
Looking at purchasing a first detector. Got hung up on Garrett and Minelab. Tried to compare with the interwebs and decided I was going to go the Minelab way. Looked into the 540, which I liked a lot. But then got introduced to the Equinox, which I think might be better suited for what little excursions I may go on. Maybe a yearly beach trip and maybe local creek/river hunting. If I can find owners, there's tons of historical and abandoned properties around me I'd like to have a crack at. It looks as if the Equinox 700 is what I'm looking for, but a bit more than I want to spend. Am I on the right track in my going with the 700? A buy once, cry once kind of thing?

Thanks for your input!

Upvote 1
Looking at purchasing a first detector. Got hung up on Garrett and Minelab. Tried to compare with the interwebs and decided I was going to go the Minelab way. Looked into the 540, which I liked a lot. But then got introduced to the Equinox, which I think might be better suited for what little excursions I may go on. Maybe a yearly beach trip and maybe local creek/river hunting. If I can find owners, there's tons of historical and abandoned properties around me I'd like to have a crack at. It looks as if the Equinox 700 is what I'm looking for, but a bit more than I want to spend. Am I on the right track in my going with the 700? A buy once, cry once kind of thing?

Thanks for your input!
You are on the rite track but I would also look at the Nokta Legend, the Legend has more features than the equinox 700 and is I believe a little cheaper than the Nox 700 the Legend is more comparable to the Nox 800 and the Nox 900 and is also water proof

Hello and welcome. If you see yourself sticking with the hobby, then yeah I would go for your top option.

I ended up upgrading shortly after buying my 1st detector, so in my case getting the better option 1st would've been ideal.

It's a little different now though with MF detectors. Each step up probably has similar detection capability, but what you get is more features, settings, and versatility. From the score to the legend or the vanquish to the equinox.

Buying used equipment is also a great way to save $. With patience, great deals can be had. Or if you buy new, hit up the supporting vendors and they will likely offer a discount.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back