Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two simple questions about a button I found today. How old is it and do you see anything on the front of the button?

It's a fairly thick brass button and it's a little larger than a dime. Never found one with a "box" on the back for the shank, so I'm not sure how old it may be.

Here's a couple of pics. Thanks in advance for any help.

dsc02666 (3).jpgDSC02669.JPG

That looks to be correct! How old would that make this button?

Upvote 0
Being slightly larger than a dime, I don't think it would be a collar disc but I could be wrong, just ask my wife!:laughing7:

Upvote 0
Sorry, but it is definitely not a collar-disc insignia. You say it has a "box on the back for a shank" but your photo looking straight-down on the maybe-button's back shows only a rectangular outline. Please post a sideview photo so we can see the thread-hole in the "shank." Or perhaps it is entirely missing except for the outline of where it was?

Upvote 0
I'll try to post a better view of the shank area tomorrow. I gave it a warm hydrogen peroxide bath and now it looks like it has "US" on the front. I could be wrong, but that's what I see now.

DSC02673.JPG

Upvote 0
Or perhaps it is entirely missing except for the outline of where it was?

Yes, it looks like it's entirely missing. There's just a square outline that is very slightly raised up on the back of the button.

Upvote 0
What is the measurement? A collar disk is a little bigger than a dime.
Disks are 1", dimes are just under 3/4 ".
But a collar disk is just a guess based on size and square shank. Wick winder is also good guess but the shank on those often just pulls out leaving a hole.

Upvote 0
Wick winder from a kerosine lamp

Definitely not a wick winder. Wick winders usually have ridges on the edge for better gripping ability. Or they have a raised edge all the way around them. This is definitely a button. Just has the look and feel of a button. It has a "soft" curved edge, not a sharp one. You wouldn't have a soft edge for a wick winder.

Upvote 0
What is the measurement? A collar disk is a little bigger than a dime.
Disks are 1", dimes are just under 3/4 ".

It's a tiny bit more than 3/4" (probably 20 mm). It's the same size as the 1820's Scovill button I found the other day.

I'm hitting the tot lots today. I can't stand finding all these mystery buttons!Drives me crazy!

Upvote 0
Okay, here's another clue. I was just looking at it in sunlight and it's not "US" on the front. It looks to be "U 5" on the front. Kind of like this drawing below. I'm not a very good artist, but you get the idea!

The "U" is smaller than the "5" and down low on the button to accommodate the larger "5".

DSC02675.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back