Ye Olde Colonial Hunt with Patriot and Hunthicks! (BEFORE & AFTER PICS ADDED)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ye Olde Colonial Hunt with Patriot and Hunthicks! (BEFORE & AFTER PICS ADDED)

I was in Patriot's neck of the woods for training so of course I brought my detector with me and made plans to meet Patriot on Wednesday evening and Patriot and Hunthicks on Thursday evening. I would have liked to have hunted even more but I got in a solid 9 hours over two evenings so nothing to complain about. My goal for these hunts was a cannonball...if you know Patriot you know that he is the king of cannonballs...I don't even think he knows how many he's found. The first night we hit a few sights where a multitude of cannonballs had been found. I found a few balls but of the musket variety. The best find of this evening was an 1887 Victorian 5 cent.

The next evening it was Patriot and Hunthicks. On the way to the site I was still hoping for a cannonball but commented that I would be ecstatic to get a nice bale seal or a trade axe. Patriot commented that earlier in the day he had found two horseshoes and that whenever he finds a horseshoe that's good luck for whoever he is hunting with...well, it worked again. We were detecting a new site that Patriot just got permission for and it was in an excellent area...it looked perfect for an outpost. We found a lot of musketballs, a couple decorative shoe buckle pieces and some coppers but the cannonball evaded my coil....but the trade axe didn't!!!

A trade axe is something I have been hoping for since I started detecting 5 years ago. I was thrilled to get this...it's in beautiful condition and should clean up nicely! Found about 12 inches down.

Thanks again to The Patriot for playing host . Great to hunt with Patriot and Hunthicks...we've got to do it again real soon!!!

Attachments

• 12-13 May 2010 Patriot Hunt Nick.jpg
    12-13 May 2010 Patriot Hunt Nick.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 923
  • 12-13 May 2010 Patriot Hunt Vick.jpg
    12-13 May 2010 Patriot Hunt Vick.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 928
  • 12-13May2010PatriotHunttn.jpg
    12-13May2010PatriotHunttn.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 932
Upvote 0
Re: Ye Olde Colonial Hunt with Patriot and Hunthicks!

That trade axe would make anyone's YEAR! :hello2:

BuckleBoy said:

It's sure made mine...so far. Cannonball is next!!

romeo-1 said:
BuckleBoy said:

It's sure made mine...so far. Cannonball is next!!

Now Yer Talkin'!!! :headbang:

can't go wrong bringing home the iron

so you cleaned up one backyard for another, home there's some oldies in your new neighborhood!

ironhorse said:
can't go wrong bringing home the iron

so you cleaned up one backyard for another, home there's some oldies in your new neighborhood!

Yep, the new neighborhood should be very conducive to this hobby...one of the oldest settled areas in North America!

Re: Ye Olde Colonial Hunt with Patriot and Hunthicks! (AFTER PICS ADDED)

I decided not to procrastinate with this relic and try to restore and preserve it. I experimented with the zinc and lye method (thanks Patriot) and am quite please with the results.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 427
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 424
Re: Ye Olde Colonial Hunt with Patriot and Hunthicks! (BEFORE & AFTER PICS ADDED)

Good to see you got that nasty rust off right away, that stuff will eat a piece up in a hurry.

Zinc and Lye method huh? Works, but that's some toxic stuff! Be careful.

I personally prefer good old water and baking soda along with some current. Bake em' up, wash with some methyl hydrate and coat with some bri-wax. Probably same results in the end, but a little safer.

Here are a couple of pieces I have done.

Are you going to treat yours with something to prevent further corrosion? I would recommend doing so.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=223508.0

Re: Ye Olde Colonial Hunt with Patriot and Hunthicks! (BEFORE & AFTER PICS ADDED)

ColonialDude said:
Are you going to treat yours with something to prevent further corrosion? I would recommend doing so.
Definitely want to treat it...any recommendations?

[/quote]
[/quote]

Really depends what look you are going after Romeo. For flat out preservation you could just go with a conservators wax of some kind, "Renaissance" works very well. Cleans it a little and preserves. Any conservators wax will do however, as long as it's a micro-crystalline wax. You apply it and then buff. IF you buff it too much though you will get the polished look. You may or may not like that.

With iron I use Bri-Wax however. It essentially cleans, stains, and polishes. It will have the same preservation properties, but I like it with iron because it stains it and if you clean the iron properly (as much as required to prevent further corrosion) it will have that new metal look which I don't like much. You simply buy a dark colour Bri-Wax and it looks old again. I like to use "Dark Oak" because it gives it the rust colour back and makes it look natural. That's what I used on my axeheads in the link I attached in the post above.

Wess

romeo-1 said:
pepperj said:
Big congrat's on the axe Romeo, great shape. Good luck on the markings. :icon_thumright:
Nice fishie and bell, an added bonus.

I burned out my old electrolysis unit on some mortar frags last year so finding markings are going to have to wait a while. We're in the process of moving so this may have been my last detecting trip for a while. The good news is we are moving to an area that has some of the best detecting in the area...including my own (new) backyard!

I find it's great driving minutes to go detecting instead of a hour or more! Sounds great :icon_thumright:

Congrats on the trade ax , romeo-1 :headbang: great find :o 8) CMDdawg

[/quote]

Really depends what look you are going after Romeo. For flat out preservation you could just go with a conservators wax of some kind, "Renaissance" works very well. Cleans it a little and preserves. Any conservators wax will do however, as long as it's a micro-crystalline wax. You apply it and then buff. IF you buff it too much though you will get the polished look. You may or may not like that.

With iron I use Bri-Wax however. It essentially cleans, stains, and polishes. It will have the same preservation properties, but I like it with iron because it stains it and if you clean the iron properly (as much as required to prevent further corrosion) it will have that new metal look which I don't like much. You simply buy a dark colour Bri-Wax and it looks old again. I like to use "Dark Oak" because it gives it the rust colour back and makes it look natural. That's what I used on my axeheads in the link I attached in the post above.

Wess
[/quote]

Sounds good Wess...I'll have to shop for some Bri-Wax.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back