Ye Olde Colonial Hunt with Patriot and Hunthicks! (BEFORE & AFTER PICS ADDED)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ye Olde Colonial Hunt with Patriot and Hunthicks! (BEFORE & AFTER PICS ADDED)

I was in Patriot's neck of the woods for training so of course I brought my detector with me and made plans to meet Patriot on Wednesday evening and Patriot and Hunthicks on Thursday evening. I would have liked to have hunted even more but I got in a solid 9 hours over two evenings so nothing to complain about. My goal for these hunts was a cannonball...if you know Patriot you know that he is the king of cannonballs...I don't even think he knows how many he's found. The first night we hit a few sights where a multitude of cannonballs had been found. I found a few balls but of the musket variety. The best find of this evening was an 1887 Victorian 5 cent.

The next evening it was Patriot and Hunthicks. On the way to the site I was still hoping for a cannonball but commented that I would be ecstatic to get a nice bale seal or a trade axe. Patriot commented that earlier in the day he had found two horseshoes and that whenever he finds a horseshoe that's good luck for whoever he is hunting with...well, it worked again. We were detecting a new site that Patriot just got permission for and it was in an excellent area...it looked perfect for an outpost. We found a lot of musketballs, a couple decorative shoe buckle pieces and some coppers but the cannonball evaded my coil....but the trade axe didn't!!!

A trade axe is something I have been hoping for since I started detecting 5 years ago. I was thrilled to get this...it's in beautiful condition and should clean up nicely! Found about 12 inches down.

Thanks again to The Patriot for playing host . Great to hunt with Patriot and Hunthicks...we've got to do it again real soon!!!

Attachments

• 12-13 May 2010 Patriot Hunt Nick.jpg
    12-13 May 2010 Patriot Hunt Nick.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 923
  • 12-13 May 2010 Patriot Hunt Vick.jpg
    12-13 May 2010 Patriot Hunt Vick.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 928
  • 12-13May2010PatriotHunttn.jpg
    12-13May2010PatriotHunttn.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 932
Upvote 0
Re: Hunt with Patriot and Hunthicks!

well I wish digging horse shoes was lucky for me but not who I'm hunting with :wink: :D

Sounds like you all had a blast :icon_thumright:

:hello:

I love it when Silver comes out of the ground black :headbang: some nice buckles there to, looks like part of a fancy shoe buckle :dontknow: under the Musket balls :P

SS

The trade ax is killer ! I have a growing collection but nothing like that!

VPR

Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

I love it when Silver comes out of the ground black :headbang: some nice buckles there to, looks like part of a fancy shoe buckle :dontknow: under the Musket balls :P

SS

Yep, a couple (coulda been) nice ornate shoe buckles.

Great digs . . . and post a pic of the trade ax when cleaned.

Nice digs Rome! Trade ax should clean up just fine. :icon_thumleft:

mainer said:
Nice digs Rome! Trade ax should clean up just fine. :icon_thumleft:

My problem is I'm a procrastinator so it may be a few months before the cleaned pics are posted...but they will be posted. I'm hoping for some touch marks on this but not holding my breath.

Re: Ye Olde Colonial Hunt with Patriot and Hunthicks!

Yeah that was definitely worth the Booyeah call....had me thinking it was cannonball at first but didn't have the BOOYeah!! ring to it when you said it....all in all enjoyed meeting you for the first time after all of these years and now you have a relic to remember the hunt....

Way to go on the Trade Axe Romeo! I know you have been wanting one for a while! Should clean up very nice! Might be some markings under there somewhere. :headbang:

That's a pretty sweet axe! :icon_thumright:Something about that shape that really makes them appealing! It was great meeting you and with the great finds and good company I'm ready for round two! ;D

that looks like a great day, one that would stick in my memory with sunshine and cool breeze.
or maybe black flies and poison ivy? sweet!

I'd have been quite happy with the little bell.

Yeah man , I'm crazy for a silver "Vickie" ! Argentium.

Nice 5 cents! ;D

Same axe I have, and looks the same size too.

Iron Patch said:
Nice 5 cents! ;D

I thought you would enjoy that silver! ;D

Let me know when you clean you big iron and I'll send you mine...I need a new set up!

romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
Nice 5 cents! ;D

I thought you would enjoy that silver! ;D

Let me know when you clean you big iron and I'll send you mine...I need a new set up!

Well it's been about 3 years, so we'll say throw it in the mail about 2017.

Big congrat's on the axe Romeo, great shape. Good luck on the markings. :icon_thumright:
Nice fishie and bell, an added bonus.

pepperj said:
Big congrat's on the axe Romeo, great shape. Good luck on the markings. :icon_thumright:
Nice fishie and bell, an added bonus.

I burned out my old electrolysis unit on some mortar frags last year so finding markings are going to have to wait a while. We're in the process of moving so this may have been my last detecting trip for a while. The good news is we are moving to an area that has some of the best detecting in the area...including my own (new) backyard!

yo R

From the land of the Bluenose....nice find for sure. I'm up at your workplace for a union course May27-30th. Looking forward to visiting that area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back