Yard gives up 2 silvers, Andrew Jackson killed by a lawn mower and a couple of clad days

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went back tot 1930 house and finished the yard. The back yard was definitely more productive than the small front and side. I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and managed to find 30 coins with a face value of $2.42, a plated butter knife, a different type 2 prong buckle, 3 wheaties, 2 silver dimes, a copper ring, a D ring, a mower struck aluminum thimble, a brass drawer knob back plate, a TOOTSIE TOY jeep from the 1950s, a different type of wire connector, a few tabs, copper and brass fittings and pipe, some foil, some big iron and a nice chunk of melted lead (@1.5 pounds).

DSCN3277.jpeg

I knew the people who lived here didn’t loose a lot of coins, but I was hoping for something silver. My first trip I didn’t find any and this trip I didn’t find any until I got almost to the end of the back yard. There is a 1961 Rosie and a 1937 merc. The merc was in a hole with a big chunk of iron. I knew from the signal there should be something good there, but when I popped the plug and pinpointed I got this chunk of big iron down in the hole. I swung the coil over the hole, nothing. I swung it over the back of the plug and bingo, it sounded good. I leaned over and looked at the plug and there was the merc almost totally exposed. The wheaties are a 1941, a 1944 and a toasted one.

DSCN3278.jpeg

The butter knife is marked SIMEON L. & GEORGE H. ROGERS COMPANY ONEIDA. It is silver plated and has a bunch of white paint on it. The fact that it has ONEIDA on it indicates it was probably made after 1929.

DSCN3280.jpeg

NOTE: The owner just wanted the jeep, but nothing else so it works out well for me. You never know. I am in it for the detecting and offer them anything they want and I even had one guy who took it all including the junk.

DAY 2
There is a local festival grounds and there was a festival last weekend with a lot of tent campers so after the trash was cleaned up I went out to do a quick check to see what was left behind. I have grid detected sections, but not all of the grounds.

I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 92 coins with a face value of $6.71, a decorative brass piece, 2 wheaties, 2 zipper pulls, a car key, an aluminum tent clip, a lock cylinder, an aluminum carabiner, a pair of chanel lock pliers, tabs and can slaw.

DSCN3282.jpeg

I found this piece of paper with a picture of Andrew Jackson on it.

DSCN3284.jpeg

It WAS a $20 bill, but with pieces missing and no serial number it is just a piece of paper. It was hit by the lawn mower so I did a Quick look around to see if I could find the missing pieces, but didn’t have any luck so I moved on. After awhile I thought I ought to look a little harder so I went back. I did a wider circle and moved around some of the cut grass piles and found 4 more pieces. I’m good with puzzles, but you don’t have to be very good to assemble a 5 piece puzzle LOL. When put together I now have a $20 bill with both serial numbers complete that I can take to the bank and get a spendable replacement. That is a nice boost to my yearly dollar amount total. (When I find bills while detecting they count toward the total, coins and bills found at other times are NOT counted toward the total)

DSCN3285.jpeg

DSCN3286.jpeg

DAY 3
I went back to the middle school and spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 117 coins with a face value of $7.58, 2 pieces of an old oil lamp, a roundball, half of a key, part of a drug pipe, a lock cylinder, 4 pennies fused together (deep in damp ground), some toy vehicles, bits of aluminum, can slaw, aluminum bottle caps, pencil ends and tabs.

DSCN3287.jpeg

Someone was saving tabs and put a dozen on this FINGERHUT thing. At least it’s better than digging 12 holes to get the tabs.

IMG_8639.jpeg

The lamp parts were about 30 feet apart. They may be from the same lamp hit by earthmoving equipment during construction. The round ball is a .69 caliber which is a common size used in the civil war. This town had a lot of soldiers stationed here during the war and I find bullets all over the town. It has a good chance of being from the civil war, but as with all round balls, no way to be certain.

DSCN3289.jpeg

DSCN3288.jpeg

DAY 4
I have been busy and not able to get back to the elementary school on the weekends, but this week I made it. I spent 4.5 hours expanding the grid on the lower playground. I have found a few goodies there, but today was not the day for a repeat. I did find 53 coins with a face value of $2.14, some modern buttons, what looks like a toy locomotive wheel, a brass tube fitting, a Disney zipper pull, part of someone’s eyeglasses, a piece of a toy car, a squashed brass pen cap, can slaw, tabs, aluminum bottle caps and pencil ends.

DSCN3290.jpeg

Nothing special, but the gas money helps. The principal gave the go ahead to detecting during the week since school is out for the summer so that will make it easier to get the ground covered.

DSCN3291.jpeg

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I encountered a couple new little friends while I was detecting. A nice little box turtle and a cute little 2 foot long garter snake (harmless to people). As always there are some beautiful plants, some tiny little flowers from the yard and the school as well as more white fragrant flowers from the catalpa tree.

IMG_8624.jpeg

IMG_8630.jpeg

IMG_8618.jpeg

pretty little flowers about 1/4 of an inch wide

IMG_8642.jpeg

Tiny flowers dime for reference

IMG_8644.jpeg

Enlarged image of tiny flowers where the dime was the refernce

IMG_8626.jpeg

Catalpa

Another good week. Silver is always welcome and my friend Andy Jackson sure was a welcome visitor. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Attachments

• IMG_8631.jpeg
    IMG_8631.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
Upvote 15
Sure looks like you had a ton of fun!

Another great post and grats on the keepers. Good job on the $20.

I was out detecting two years ago and found a Starbucks gift card that was still in the little envelope thingy that they come in. I looked on line and it hadn't been cashed or used and the value was for $25. I don't drink coffee so I bright it to work and sold it to my coffee loving biz partner for $20.

HH ALL

Nice post, strong work! Well done sniffing out the missing pieces on the $20!

Good recoveries on the silvers and the chopped up Andrew.

A good week of hunting and some nice recoveries, congrats!
Btw, the other day (when I found the Zero token) my buddy found that same 2 prong buckle. I'd never seen one like it, and now two in just a few days. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back