Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1725540457450.jpeg

Unfortunately, no discernible marks on the wristwatch; I can't even tell if it was a gentleman's or lady's watch. It appears there was a small second hand at 6 o'clock. No vestiges of crystal, and yes, I triple-checked the hole for the hands! ⌚

The "compact" is a bit of a mystery. Again, no discernible markings. 2 clips on the righthand piece--either for a mirror or cosmetic cake(?) No idea what the middle (bottom of 3 pcs.) piece was for--some kind of divider? :dontknow:
Middle piece is round--not oblong; it's bent, making it appear oblong in 2nd pic. I believe it's part of the object because I found the 3 pieces stacked together. There were also some shards of thin flat sheet glass in the mix. For a moment I wondered if it might be a pocket watch, but the glass wasn't curved like a watch crystal. The glass may have been from a mirror, but there was no reflective coating left anywhere, so.... ? :dontknow:

The pieces on the bottom left are copper. I actually found them in 3 separate holes within a foot of each other (I'm guessing they were broken/mangled by mower/plow. No idea what they are/were--NOT a buckle frame. A couple pieces fell apart in my hand as I extracted them from the hole, revealing the copper and the type of corrosion often accompanying it.

1725541535729.jpeg

Upvote 8
Seems unusual to find so many mystery items close together. Must be frustrating. If one or two could be IDd it might lead the the ID of the others. Maybe they are all from some multi-part object.

View attachment 2167115
Unfortunately, no discernible marks on the wristwatch; I can't even tell if it was a gentleman's or lady's watch. It appears there was a small second hand at 6 o'clock. No vestiges of crystal, and yes, I triple-checked the hole for the hands! ⌚

The "compact" is a bit of a mystery. Again, no discernible markings. 2 clips on the righthand piece--either for a mirror or cosmetic cake(?) No idea what the middle (bottom of 3 pcs.) piece was for--some kind of divider? :dontknow:
Middle piece is round--not oblong; it's bent, making it appear oblong in 2nd pic. I believe it's part of the object because I found the 3 pieces stacked together. There were also some shards of thin flat sheet glass in the mix. For a moment I wondered if it might be a pocket watch, but the glass wasn't curved like a watch crystal. The glass may have been from a mirror, but there was no reflective coating left anywhere, so.... ? :dontknow:

The pieces on the bottom left are copper. I actually found them in 3 separate holes within a foot of each other (I'm guessing they were broken/mangled by mower/plow. No idea what they are/were--NOT a buckle frame. A couple pieces fell apart in my hand as I extracted them from the hole, revealing the copper and the type of corrosion often accompanying it.

View attachment 2167117
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Seems unusual to find so many mystery items close together. Must be frustrating. If one or two could be IDd it might lead the the ID of the others. Maybe they are all from some multi-part object.
That's kinda the way it's gone on this permission. I just came off of 2 weeks+ of nothing but...
1725627079730.png

....so even a little mystery is refreshing (and restorative of optimism). 😁

Even on days when I find something... not trash, I usually have 5X-10X as much trash as well. I've gotten to where I carry 3 containers for finds:
  1. Junk & trash
  2. Not junk & trash
  3. Stuff worth preserving/protecting individually
IDTS. The watch is a watch, the compact a compact. I do wonder about the copper pieces; I found something similar in the front yard (current was in back yard), but I'd have to do some digging to find them! (Pun intentional) 😏

STILL much better then finding POP TOPS
Interesting you should mention those specifically!
On this entire permission (¾ acre) I think I've only found a half-dozen or so pop tops, and those were (all but one) in the front yard within 10' of the sidewalks. Plenty of other aluminum, though...
1725628650069.jpeg

I forgot about this... it was in the "Not junk/trash" bag. Some kind of spigot(?)
1725628815545.jpeg

Some of the bottom left pieces look like they were once part of an escutcheon/drawer pull decoration.

Attachments

• 2024-09-06_11-50-11.png
    2024-09-06_11-50-11.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 2
Take a magnet and put it on the tube.
Post result
I was thinking fuel tube for a camp stove.

Interesting you should mention those specifically!
On this entire permission (¾ acre) I think I've only found a half-dozen or so pop tops, and those were (all but one) in the front yard within 10' of the sidewalks. Plenty of other aluminum, though...
View attachment 2167187
I forgot about this... it was in the "Not junk/trash" bag. Some kind of spigot(?)
View attachment 2167188

pretty sure that's part of a lawn sprinkler

Some of the bottom left pieces look like they were once part of an escutcheon/drawer pull decoration.
I can see why one would think that. I've found quite a few escutcheons (and portions thereof). These pieces look to me more like a gasket, but I don't know what from. Copper.
1725712787176.jpeg

Take a magnet and put it on the tube.
Post result
I was thinking fuel tube for a camp stove.
Already did. It's all aluminum. Very light weight.
Geez, I haven't seen or run a camp stove since '67.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back