Wow i was so excited when i found this in my yard. This was our first find and hopefully our last of this kind of rusted object.

Garytman

May 28, 2024
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Hazlewolke Jungler 1031
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does anyone know what this is? I was thinking some kind of rusty spike that's heavily corroded. We found this about 7" down in our yard. The layers close to it were filled with anthracite and shale. We were just curious if we could find any coins in our yard. We will keep looking!

Attachments

• 20240616_081956.jpg
    20240616_081956.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • 20240616_081950.jpg
    20240616_081950.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20240616_081946.jpg
    20240616_081946.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
Upvote 4
Does anyone know what this is? I was thinking some kind of rusty spike that's heavily corroded. We found this about 7" down in our yard. The layers close to it were filled with anthracite and shale. We were just curious if we could find any coins in our yard. We will keep looking!
Oh and it's not from my dog just in case anyone asks. I did pick it up and smell it.

Keep searching. I bet there is some coins somewhere around there. Unless it was recently developed or something.

Keep searching. I bet there is some coins somewhere around there. Unless it was recently developed or something.
Really? That's funny you said that because it was still registering on the detector, but it was getting late so my wife and I filled the hole back in. This house was built in the 1950s but who knows what was on the property before this. I suppose I could do some research. We will keep looking, after all it's easy to fill and replant grass seed in your own yard right? That would be so cool to find an old coin, just thinking about it makes me want to search more. I could see how this hobby could be addicting lol

Desirable targets such as coins will sound vastly different on your detector than that.

I suggest finding an area in your yard without any existing targets, bury some coins and see how they sound compared to your rusty iron item.

Really? That's funny you said that because it was still registering on the detector, but it was getting late so my wife and I filled the hole back in. This house was built in the 1950s but who knows what was on the property before this. I suppose I could do some research. We will keep looking, after all it's easy to fill and replant grass seed in your own yard right? That would be so cool to find an old coin, just thinking about it makes me want to search more. I could see how this hobby could be addicting lol
May I ask what detector you are using? Might give others more ideas on tips & tricks with your particular model of metal detector. Thanks.

Desirable targets such as coins will sound vastly different on your detector than that.

I suggest finding an area in your yard without any existing targets, bury some coins and see how they sound compared to your rusty iron item.

Wow such a great idea! I'm not sure if our detector makes a different noise or not, but it does show a target range, shows the approximate depth, etc.

Attachments

• 58892.jpeg
    58892.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 2
May I ask what detector you are using? Might give others more ideas on tips & tricks with your particular model of metal detector. Thanks.
Of course! It is a Hazelwolke Jungler
Absolutely! It's a Hazelwolke Jungler 1031. I know lol my wife bought it for me, it's actually pretty cool for a beginner like myself!

We all paid our dues when we first started out.
Have patience - every detector comes with a learning curve.
This forum is a great place to ask questions and learn more about the hobby.
The more time you spend in the field - the faster the good finds will start popping out of the ground.

Good Hunting !

What type of Metal Detector are you using ?

The more time you spend in the field - the faster the good finds will start popping out of the ground.

Good Hunting !

That's such a great idea thank you! We have some silver coins, mercury dime etc. We will try this out and even bury at different depths. I have some gold as well, so will be interesting to see how this detector responds.

Good Hunting !
Thank you so much I really appreciate your words! I am a very, very patient person. I could spend all day digging up pop tabs and bottle caps and be excited! I will experiment a bit and then next year use it at the OBX on the beach. Maybe take a trip to lake Erie and see if I'm allowed to detect there if I get permission.

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back