🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Would you consider this created by hand ? I haveto scrub it up

rosespetal

Dec 11, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
Whites pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m looking for things in all the weird places- def found a weird place. I know this can’t be “Natural” thoughts ?

01736F29-0B2E-4F84-861E-223027811EE6.jpeg

Attachments

• 35C65D30-FC3E-46A8-8C4D-A9ED62F7E463.jpeg
    35C65D30-FC3E-46A8-8C4D-A9ED62F7E463.jpeg
    947.1 KB · Views: 48
  • EF799079-7007-4528-ABA4-7355801718C4.png
    EF799079-7007-4528-ABA4-7355801718C4.png
    272.8 KB · Views: 50
Its only the lid- I metal detected and found it trying to see if I could tell more on the area for the fire pit, but was getting eaten alive by bugs so I quit early. Next time I'll try to redig it again and look for the jar - Second image is identification only.

Pond's Cream was invented in the United States as a patent medicine by pharmacist Theron T. Pond (1800–1852) of Utica, New York, in 1846. Mr. Pond extracted a healing tea from witch hazel [Hamamelis spp.] which he discovered could heal small cuts and other ailments. The product was named "Golden Treasure." After Theron died, it would soon be known as "Pond's Extract."[1]

In 1849, the T. T. Pond Company was formed with Pond and other investors. Soon after, he sold his portion of the company because of failing health. He died in 1852. In 1914, the company was incorporated under the name Pond's Extract Company.[2]
Your doing a Wikipedia search and dating the lid from there. This is why I asked for a picture as I knew it wasn't for a fact a 1800 cold cream jar.
Using that date really isn't close-off by at least a 100 yrs which is huge in dating of glass containers.
This is the earliest example of one.

Screen Shot 2023-08-01 at 9.10.42 PM.png

Upvote 3
I’m looking for things in all the weird places- def found a weird place. I know this can’t be “Natural” thoughts ?

View attachment 2096495

Nothing says someone left me a sign there.
Or used the whatever it is for something more than what it is.
Best I can guess is that it's a very old gob of clay that hardened over time. Or sandstone. Or sedimentary rock. Just being a chunk.

IF it does not fit? /match any other material on the site, you have a mystery worth noting.

Upvote 1
Nothing says someone left me a sign there.
Or used the whatever it is for something more than what it is.
Best I can guess is that it's a very old gob of clay that hardened over time. Or sandstone. Or sedimentary rock. Just being a chunk.

IF it does not fit? /match any other material on the site, you have a mystery worth noting.
oh my what a hater lol! I have found other items pocket knife, arrowheads, clay marbles etc. Looking for signs of the past don't always fall under what my metal detector finds, sometimes its only your eyes that brings you to an area, the trees, any odd limbs that look delibrate instead of naturally made etc. When I go back I will show more cause I know I'm looking in the right area :D

Upvote 1
Your doing a Wikipedia search and dating the lid from there. This is why I asked for a picture as I knew it wasn't for a fact a 1800 cold cream jar.
Using that date really isn't close-off by at least a 100 yrs which is huge in dating of glass containers.
This is the earliest example of one.

View attachment 2097051
Yes I know, that's how I dated the pocket knife by the company's manufacturing stamps and change of company ownership. This was just a 'lets see wtf it is' search to get me to a time stamp. Everything else falls under the proper era.

Upvote 0
perhaps what you are trying to say is that you are finding "signs", of the past?

Upvote 0
Yes I know, that's how I dated the pocket knife by the company's manufacturing stamps and change of company ownership. This was just a 'lets see wtf it is' search to get me to a time stamp. Everything else falls under the proper era.
I'm kind of confused as you claim that's how you knew, yet your claim of 1800 wasn't even close.
You keep referencing a pocket knife.
Why not show a photo and details on what your research on the ID please.

Upvote 1
oh my what a hater lol! I have found other items pocket knife, arrowheads, clay marbles etc. Looking for signs of the past don't always fall under what my metal detector finds, sometimes its only your eyes that brings you to an area, the trees, any odd limbs that look delibrate instead of naturally made etc. When I go back I will show more cause I know I'm looking in the right area :D
Hater? Because I don't see a sign of in or about a clump?

Are you suggesting a pocket knife would have anything to do with the clumps potential for having been worked's age context?
Unless worked area(s) of the clump were dragged through clay to conceal .....Your picture reveal nothing to indicate it is a sign.

You list multiple recoveries /relics.
No context of depth. A pocket knife six inches deep vs an arrow head three feet deep are not likely from the same week they hit the ground . Agreed?

Site.
A rock overhand in a large village park that was used by natives firstly then long after used by many people is going to reflect that. In layers. By context.
A gob of clay is not going to be a flashing neon sign for I was here. Or we were here. Or there is a war going on there.

Are you in a barren desert of blow-sand with no other means to create a sign or show a disturbed area of ground that will last long enough ; but dug up a lump of clay in your dying attempt to find water? Maybe you're starting to evidence some context.

I'm not a wishful sign hater.
I'm a logical sign leaver when I leave sign.
And recognize obvious sign elsewhere.

Who was your glob left for? Military soldier? Panicked? You or him/them? Shell shocked? Bloody eyed? Old and near sighted?
Sign visible from 1/4 mile? Why or why not?
If not visible a 1/4 mile , what brought potential comrades within sight of your glob?
Was it failproof?
If thier life depended on it it better have been. If not , didn't they have better things to do than know you were there modifying a gob of clay?

So now that you found a hater.
How about explaining the context of your site?
How about defining everything recovered so we can determine if arrowheads were resting with (as in same depth and capable of touching) aluminum . And or clay marbles. (Look here , a first context perhaps? Clay glob. Clay marbles. Coincidence?)
You do understand why it matters if arrowheads rest with aluminum molded products , right?
Or that it matters if you're speculating someone in a war wanted others to know there was a sign for them stating "right here/there" in case they needed a clay marble and to let them know you had been through there.

How does your clump tell anyone anything?
Your explaining will help me see what I'm not seeing. Maybe.
The site was never attended by anyone else so anything not looking 100% natural is a sign for come here?
This is what us trappers/former trappers call a "lure."
You go investigate something that catches your eye during a war....Be very sure it's your side doing the luring. Need I explain why?
You say come here. Look here. I say I'm just fine over here.
You leave a clay lump that you shaped how so I know your sign is Union or Confederate (and where/what context parameters we in again?) do I trust your clump? Why would I? A good way to get shot trapped spotted delayed confused misdirected ect. is focusing on a lure. Regardless of what it appears to be or say. You be sure your not exposed or in a precarious position.

Go ahead, Trot right over to that mysterious clump.
A. you might actually make it there.
B. you'll make it there.
C. Neither relives you of peril.
D. I'm still over here as no one instructed me to investigate or be there. Did they? Provide evidence if anyone did. I'm going some where if not instructed to be here. If I'm in charge of where to stop, you go check out thy mystery clump if you want while checking the perimeter.
Someone left a sign they were there so what? What if hot coals attended the sign? Cold ash?
A lump of clay?
Tracks are fresh older or old.
Scouts are on thier own hook.
Skirmishers ahead.
Troops behind.
Who's missing? And what do you expect all to do if one went awol and left a lump of clay?
Who else would be leaving sign when we are moving per pre planned mapping? We don't know how to orient a map? another military leader want to leave a sign we can afford a piece of paper.

Context man. Context.

I looked where the sign was supposed to be.
And there it was.
That glorious lump of clay shaped like Bart Simpson's head , it's contrasting with everything else's color . Telling me upon sighting it that all was well and feasting and shelter and dancing girls awaited right up on the military crest of the ridge under the unseen from the valley floor rock overhang.
About then I could hear just faintly a steam of accordion music and laughter.
Closer I encountered kids. Why kids in a military camp or dancing girls didn't seem to matter. I'd found the sign.
There on my way uphill to the secret hideout with the neon Barthead ,were kids playing marbles. Here others playing mumbly peg with someone's pocket knife.
One raced by with an aluminum cup from the spring below...(Insert record scratching sound ....)

Last edited:
Upvote 5
Hater? Because I don't see a sign of in or about a clump?

Are you suggesting a pocket knife would have anything to do with the clumps potential for having been worked's age context?
Unless worked area(s) of the clump were dragged through clay to conceal .....Your picture reveal nothing to indicate it is a sign.

You list multiple recoveries /relics.
No context of depth. A pocket knife six inches deep vs an arrow head three feet deep are not likely from the same week they hit the ground . Agreed?

Site.
A rock overhand in a large village park that was used by natives firstly then long after used by many people is going to reflect that. In layers. By context.
A gob of clay is not going to be a flashing neon sign for I was here. Or we were here. Or there is a war going on there.

Are you in a barren desert of blow-sand with no other means to create a sign or show a disturbed area of ground that will last long enough ; but dug up a lump of clay in your dying attempt to find water? Maybe you're starting to evidence some context.

I'm not a wishful sign hater.
I'm a logical sign leaver when I leave sign.
And recognize obvious sign elsewhere.

Who was your glob left for? Military soldier? Panicked? You or him/them? Shell shocked? Bloody eyed? Old and near sighted?
Sign visible from 1/4 mile? Why or why not?
If not visible a 1/4 mile , what brought potential comrades within sight of your glob?
Was it failproof?
If thier life depended on it it better have been. If not , didn't they have better things to do than know you were there modifying a gob of clay?

So now that you found a hater.
How about explaining the context of your site?
How about defining everything recovered so we can determine if arrowheads were resting with (as in same depth and capable of touching) aluminum . And or clay marbles. (Look here , a first context perhaps? Clay glob. Clay marbles. Coincidence?)
You do understand why it matters if arrowheads rest with aluminum molded products , right?
Or that it matters if you're speculating someone in a war wanted others to know there was a sign for them stating "right here/there" in case they needed a clay marble and to let them know you had been through there.

How does your clump tell anyone anything?
Your explaining will help me see what I'm not seeing. Maybe.
The site was never attended by anyone else so anything not looking 100% natural is a sign for come here?
This is what us trappers/former trappers call a "lure."
You go investigate something that catches your eye during a war....Be very sure it's your side doing the luring. Need I explain why?
You say come here. Look here. I say I'm just fine over here.
You leave a clay lump that you shaped how so I know your sign is Union or Confederate (and where/what context parameters we in again?) do I trust your clump? Why would I? A good way to get shot trapped spotted delayed confused misdirected ect. is focusing on a lure. Regardless of what it appears to be or say. You be sure your not exposed or in a precarious position.

Go ahead, Trot right over to that mysterious clump.
A. you might actually make it there.
B. you'll make it there.
C. Neither relives you of peril.
D. I'm still over here as no one instructed me to investigate or be there. Did they? Provide evidence if anyone did. I'm going some where if not instructed to be here. If I'm in charge of where to stop, you go check out thy mystery clump if you want while checking the perimeter.
Someone left a sign they were there so what? What if hot coals attended the sign? Cold ash?
A lump of clay?
Tracks are fresh older or old.
Scouts are on thier own hook.
Skirmishers ahead.
Troops behind.
Who's missing? And what do you expect all to do if one went awol and left a lump of clay?
Who else would be leaving sign when we are moving per pre planned mapping? We don't know how to orient a map? another military leader want to leave a sign we can afford a piece of paper.

Context man. Context.

I looked where the sign was supposed to be.
And there it was.
That glorious lump of clay shaped like Bart Simpson's head , it's contrasting with everything else's color . Telling me upon sighting it that all was well and feasting and shelter and dancing girls awaited right up on the military crest of the ridge under the unseen from the valley floor rock overhang.
About then I could hear just faintly a steam of accordion music and laughter.
Closer I encountered kids. Why kids in a military camp or dancing girls didn't seem to matter. I'd found the sign.
There on my way uphill to the secret hideout with the neon Barthead ,were kids playing marbles. Here others playing mumbly peg with someone's pocket knife.
One raced by with an aluminum cup from the spring below...(Insert record scratching sound ....)

Complicated (2).jpg

Upvote 5
Homer ,clipboard. Same context.
Library or bookshelves ; not the same context. Only in proximity to an activity Homer is was or likely will be engaged in unless he sees a spider and starts throwing books.
IF he set his pencil (not pen) on the bookshelf , contexts would be crossed and a rent/rend created in the space time continuum. And his pencil would then become in context with the/a bookshelf near Homers perch. Were it a stone mountain instead of library or bookshelf it wouldn't change what Homers pencil has to do with anything. Unless he scribbled on it or sharpened the lead on it.

What is real vs imaginary matters per Lisa this time. Wait , how did pig tracks get..."

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back