World War II PT Boat Veteran decendant gift

C

chairdoc

:)I received a terrific gift and find today. My father gave me a knife and sheath that he made in the South Pacific during World War II. He was assigned to the PT Boat squadrons. His was with squadron "RON 20". He inscribed on a metal outer piece the date, squadron number, palm trees, and a drawing of a PT Boat. He gave me a picture of him wearing the knife on his belt. He also gave me a metal watch band that he made and inscribed the same writings on it. It is also in the picture with him wearing it. He also wrote in his own handwriting what the knife is made from. (nut from strut on PT Boat Propellor, windshield from a crashed P38 fighter plane, rubber parts from a captured Jap radar, and the blade is from a Phillipino machette. The sheath is made from the safety leather harness from the P38 fighter plane. I will try to take some pictures. My father will be 90 years old next month. He also gave me my grandfather's Colt Pocket Hammer 38acp that my grandfather bought from Sears in 1908. I have 12 origional 38acp cartridges. He showed it to me in 1952, 6 months before he died. He told me that one day it would belong to me. Thanks to my "Pop" and "Grandpop"!

Upvote 0
What great gifts, great story! We would love to see pics, also the pic of your father. My grandfather was in the Philipines & Okinawa in WW2, one of my fave pics of him was taken over there! :)

Attachments

• bottle cap.jpg
    bottle cap.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 299
  • bottle cap.jpg
    bottle cap.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 305
better yet a picture of your dad and you with these would be better...

The best treasure always are memories of the ones we love! Thats so cool that your dad was able to give you these things and the stories behind them! yes..Definitely post pics..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back