Wooden shipwreck discovered in Cape Coral

Shipahoy

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some underwater video in the newslink.

Cape man finds a sunken treasure - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Cape man finds a sunken treasure

CAPE CORAL -
Some adventures don't take you far from home. A Cape Coral man has discovered a wooden wreck just feet from land in shallow water.

Now David Carr's discovery has the attention of the Florida Division of Historical Resources.

"There's a ton of history around this area," said Carr as he pointed to nearby mangroves. What he spotted in the water a week ago could add to Southwest Florida's history.

Carr is neither an oceanographer nor archaeologist. He's just a CPA with a little free time.

"After tax season, I told myself I was going to get out every weekend," Carr said.

From Cape Harbor, he drives a pontoon boat for mere minutes and then points to his discovery.

"Over here to your right and left," said Carr. "Also, it's underneath us."

A strange configuration of seaweed first caught his eye.

"It was growing in a straight line, yes," Carr said.

That let him know what he was looking at wasn't natural. Even from above the surface of the water, he could see seven rows of wooden beams stretching a hundred feet.

This shipwreck sits at the mouth of the Caloosahatchee River, near the entrance to Cape Harbor.

It's a big catch for a man that doesn't even fish.

"When I went back to get my anchor up, it had pulled a board up. On one side it was tarred. The other side was all ate out," Carr remembered. The tar tipped him off that he'd discovered a wooden shipwreck.

Carr is worried about boaters damaging the wreck. Divers are not allowed to take anything from a state historical site more than 50 years old.

"This isn't 50 years old," Carr guessed. "It's at minimum 150 years old."

Given reefs, wars and storms, Florida's maritime history is rich with wrecks. Many have been identified. This one has not.

"There's a little chunk of mast over here. Bowsprit is over here," said Carr as he diagramed the wreck on paper.

It's a dream adventure for a man who grew up on nearby Fort Myers Beach.

"You hear about Sanibel Island, pirates, their captives and the shipwrecks out there."

He'd like to see a dock built around this wooden wreck.

"Get the archaeologists out here to uncover it, and then have the public be able to view it," Carr said.

Whether it remains visible is another story.

"It's huge, and it wasn't here three months ago," Carr said.

Thanks to his discovery, Florida's Bureau of Archaeological Research has alerted the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission about the site. The state agency hopes to organize a team to identify the wreck and unlock the ship's history.

pennsylvania.gif
I noticed this is your very first post - so, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA)!
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Also, great article and thanks for posting it Shipahoy!

Welcome and thanks for the post. Wish I could talk the wife into moving south old ship wreck make me drool. It is THE reason I got SCUBA certified just to dive and check them out. Dream some day is to find a wreck of course but I just love to read about new discoverd wrecks and dive them when I get a chance.

I've heard the west Florida coast has a number of wrecks, probably others yet to be found.

A transport sunk in the area during a hurricane in 1837 and the same storm tore up a nearby military fort. Also, nearby, at Cape Coral was the Southernmost battle of the Civil War, near the mouth of Peace River. Although skirmishing took place further south at Ft. Myers, the one at Cape Coral was a larger engagement.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back