Winter finally loosing its grip

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Winter finally loosing it's grip

Nate and I got out a couple times. Once to the 'berg (Nate already posted his finds from this outing) and once yesterday.

I found a Merc, a Marble, a Buff and twenty wheats at the 'berg. My favorite find was this 1926 Buffalo Nickel. Not the best shape but at least it has a clear date.

BuffaloCloseup.jpg

Yesterday we had most of our day taken up with Nate's Cleveland State orientation. But afterwards we hit a spot I have had my eye on for some time. As we were driving out from Cleveland State we passed a lot of promising looking sites and open lots. Nate tells me “Hey, let's just stop here”. But I stuck with plan A.

We get to the place and start hunting and immediately realize that we are a little underdressed. It was 32 degrees with a stiff wind. Nate goes back to the car to get the winter gloves and I bundle up as much as I can. Only way I could stay warm enough was to hunt walking downwind. But it was worth it. Within 25 minutes we had both dug some old looking stuff and Nate had pulled a Buffalo nickel and some deep wheats. Just after Nate got his Buffalo Nickel I found a Silver War Nickel with two wheats in the same hole. Cool.

AlltheStuffC800.jpg

We hunted some more and since my hands and feet were going numb I told Nate we need to head back to the car. About 30 seconds later I hear Nate yell over to me .... He points to the coin and tells me excitedly that it's either a barber or a seated (you could see the back of the coin in the hole). He gingerly lifts it out of the hole to see ___________! Man, it's been over a year since either of us has found one of those so we were very excited.

Some more pics:

threekeepersback.jpg

Found a lot of keys for such a short hunt(7 total).

AlltheStuffA.jpg

The winter weather has finally loosened it's grip on us here in Cleveland, Ohio. Although not by much. Yesterday as we drove by Lake Erie as far as the eye could see it was icebergs! A lot of the lake is ice free but when you get a steady north wind it pushes all that ice right to the shoreline.

Bob

Upvote 0
Re: Winter finally loosing it's grip

TooManyHobbies said:
Looks like the Chief has smallpox, better re-bury him.

its because of the blankets

Nice finds Bob!

I'm kind of partial to the marbles, love finding those, yours looks great.
Of course silver is always sweet!

JCH

The winter weather has finally loosened it's grip on us here in Cleveland, Ohio.

Preach on Brother!!!

Nice digs, Good way to start the spring.

Are you and Nate planning on spending the weekend in Dover?

HH
ZoSo71

Hey, thanks all. I did notice the small pox on the Indian. :D

Doug - I do hope to find a lot of those ________! :icon_sunny:

Nana - at least your Bust Dime had a date! :wink: :D :icon_sunny: Keep at it. Odds are you will get a decent date Buff.

ZoSo71 said:
The winter weather has finally loosened it's grip on us here in Cleveland, Ohio.

Preach on Brother!!!

Nice digs, Good way to start the spring.

Are you and Nate planning on spending the weekend in Dover?

HH
ZoSo71

Dave,
Maybe you can join us this Saturday. I know Nate and I will be hunting somewhere.

As for the Dover hunt....Nate is still waffling. Says he might want to do the track meet on Saturday. I told him to skip it. Friday he would have to take an unexcused absence so if he has any tests/homework he gets ZERO on them. So I guess we will see. Sunday is a yes but I think some will be leaving by then and the pickins might be getting slim by then.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back