Winding Key

Jay Banta

Apr 17, 2018
Biloxi, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
D7DA7359-C5E0-4DFF-BDA8-61B40EEEB3E8.jpegD0647F37-EA4F-46BF-821A-D6ECFFF4511C.jpeg

Greetings,

I found this today in a civil war camp site that I have been working on. I know this is a clock or watch winding key, but I am having trouble dating it by the design and manufacturer. It was made by E. N. Welch Manufacturing Co., but I cannot find this design thus far online. Any help in determining whether it is a clock key or a pocket watch key as well as a date range will be helpful.

Thank you very much,
James Banta

I've seen keys like that on old alarm clocks. Can't help w/the Mfr., tho.

Upvote 0
I sold a Welch paperweight clock on eBay quite a while ago. I don't remember what the wind key look like, but I do remember it would toggle in order to lay it down flat on the back side.

Upvote 0
Very nice key clock find. :thumbsup:
I did some research online, but unfortunately I found nothing that directly related to your key. :dontknow:

Dave

Attachments

• D7DA7359-C5E0-4DFF-BDA8-61B40EEEB3E8-crop.jpeg
    D7DA7359-C5E0-4DFF-BDA8-61B40EEEB3E8-crop.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0
Thank you, Dave. I couldn’t find anything either. But I’ll go with the alarm clock key. Thanks for trying!!!

Upvote 0
I can't solve the mystery but I can sure compound it!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet_com1539028412_391816.jpg

This image is elsewhere on TNet and posted during the past 5 days but I don't know where. Probably would come up under pocket watch. I thought it was a shutter latch but not so sure. The latch part engages with a slotted piece of metal attached to the other part of the cabinet or shutter or box. Note the operating tab is articulated to prevent it from being snapped off so I think it must have been on some type of container made for rough service like military.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back