Winchester all brass shot gun shell.....

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• DSC07417.JPG
    DSC07417.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 559
  • DSC07416.JPG
    DSC07416.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 665
I am no ammo expert...that being said It would seem winchester stopped making all brass in the 20's.all brass are still made for special applications.wwII saw use of brass in high humidity areas because of swelling im other types I read....here is the box of unopened....ww2brassshells.jpg

Upvote 0
I found this on the internet -- All-brass shot-shells were available in the U.S. as early as the middle 1870s. Interestingly, the development of all-brass and paper/brass shot-shells (a paper hull with a brass base) occurred nearly simultaneously; however, the brass shells held the lead in the market (especially with duck hunters) until manufacturers began to coat their paper/brass shells with wax or lacquer to prevent them from swelling. Around 1900 the paper/brass shell began to emerge as the market leader, a position they held until the later advent of the plastic/brass shell.

I understand that brass shot-shells were also used in Viet Nam, and they can still be purchased today, but as far as I know, you can buy the brass shell, but you have to load it yourself. How do you know it's Winchester? i couldn't see anything but the 12 on the base. The 12 means it's a 12 gage shotgun shell. Looking at the patina I'd guess that yours dates back to around 1900, + or - several years.

Upvote 0
My 1909 Sears, Roebuck & Co. catalog has brass shotgun shells for sale empty only but no mention of Winchester.. It says they all use the no. 2 primer.

Advice to some of the newbies on the WIT forum: Go get yourself some old mail order catalogs you will make a ton of IDs.

Attachments

• shotgun shells brass 1909 sears.jpg
    shotgun shells brass 1909 sears.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 919
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Absolutely great info. I hunt this type of munitions all the time. Is there a thread I can join to keep up with finds and how you guys do it?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
It also says Winchester on the base. Need to clean it more and if you tip it you can see it.
I found this on the internet -- All-brass shot-shells were available in the U.S. as early as the middle 1870s. Interestingly, the development of all-brass and paper/brass shot-shells (a paper hull with a brass base) occurred nearly simultaneously; however, the brass shells held the lead in the market (especially with duck hunters) until manufacturers began to coat their paper/brass shells with wax or lacquer to prevent them from swelling. Around 1900 the paper/brass shell began to emerge as the market leader, a position they held until the later advent of the plastic/brass shell.

I understand that brass shot-shells were also used in Viet Nam, and they can still be purchased today, but as far as I know, you can buy the brass shell, but you have to load it yourself. How do you know it's Winchester? i couldn't see anything but the 12 on the base. The 12 means it's a 12 gage shotgun shell. Looking at the patina I'd guess that yours dates back to around 1900, + or - several years.

Upvote 0
According to the reference material that I have, all brass shells were made from 1879-1949. Two different "text sizes" were manufactured. I am not aware of any way to tighten the range any more, other than association with other finds.

Doug

winBrass.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back