Will surface finds leed me to goodies???

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some research in early Dec. and found a homesite on the 1899 plat but not on the 1926 plat.
This site is in a field that has been plowed for crops. I talked to the owner and told him what I
had found on the maps and asked permission to MD on his property. This morning (1-3-11) I
walked the site to hopfully find some debris were the house may have been. Found glass and
China pieces, broken crock pieces and 3 metal items. A shotgun shell head, rim of something and
a copper part that looks like a latch of some sort. Now to go see if the ground will be diggable.

DSCN0497.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0498.JPG
    DSCN0498.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 174
looks promising :thumbsup: keep us posted

Yeah man looks good so far! All of those came up on the surface of a plowed field?

Gimmie The Loot said:
Yeah man looks good so far! All of those came up on the surface of a plowed field?
Went back with my detector and found more interesting things. Will post pics later, No coins today,
need a wamer January thaw to have more fun hunting and less time warming my fingers.

Here is what I dug from a field hunt. 2 iron blades, 2 latches of some type, 2 half round brass things another broken
bottle neck, buckle and a copper washer. Hard digging out in the open, ground was frozen 3" down. I'll hit this place
often when it warms up and before the crops go in. HH DFW

DSCN0500.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0499.JPG
    DSCN0499.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN0504.JPG
    DSCN0504.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCN0505.JPG
    DSCN0505.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 165
Most likely that's plow turn over. If the field hasn't been plowed in a long time, goodies are settled below the disc line and will give more stable readings. The deeper plow lines often cut and pull some of the dumpsite trash and later discing will spread it around a bit.

Figuring out how the property was laid out before all that came into play will get you the goodies.

Sit down and map the area these things came out of and how they were distributed in the field. Hopefully you'll get to one of the yards, front, back or side of the main house from that site and then who knows?!?

If the house didn't have piping or electricity, it's a lot easier because that stuff seems to spread the site out a bit more from longer dragging under the plow or discs. Look for the highest concentration of nails under that disc line!

Good hunting Rich!

Thanks Tim, most likely the this debris was behind the house or off to one side.
Will work all sides of this third acre or so site after the thaw. Tree line shadows
and snow cover had what was the front packed in hard.

Looks like your on the right trail DFW...
Some goodies await ;D
Soup

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back