Why Trust the Gov’t With Insurance When It Can’t Even Create a Freaking Website That

No, of course I didnt fabricate or outright lie about my suggested numbers.

But as you know, you dont make a website capacity to MEET your demand. You must factor in overhead so the server doesnt back up requests.

I usually prepare for twice my expected or realized traffic. That is just my comfort zone. But it is also based on a decade of experience and in the early years I hand tooled an auction website that did get pretty danged good trtaffic (for example). And without the server overhead my site would have never been able to handle the bursts of traffic that would happen for various reasons or time of day. It is a juggle even for the small guy.

Now, today, I am down to just a handful of sites and mostly just personal vanity sites, if you will. But even now I enjoy the security of suffecient headroom and resources.

Close, read only thumb drive, optical drives are so old school.
Not that any of it matters anyway, net security is just a made up word so ignorant naive people can have the illusion of security, if peeps can get past all the dedicated hardware firewalls on hard lines to get into the controls of nuclear power plants, then do they really think their Norton is protecting them...lol

Mike

Sorry, when I said "security", I was referring to the aspect of just the personal security knowing my servers will have ample headroom and resources to handle momentary bursts of traffic that occured for various reasons or times of day. I didnt mean anything like "network security" or the likes (something for a completely different conversation). My mistake.

Not that any of it matters anyway, net security is just a made up word so ignorant naive people can have the illusion of security, if peeps can get past all the dedicated hardware firewalls on hard lines to get into the controls of nuclear power plants, then do they really think their Norton is protecting them...lol

Mike

Mike I work for a major company installing cisco equipment. Our firewalls will keep out 98 % of the hackers, none will ever keep out 100% it is extremely rare they get hacked and I have seen them try...

Sent from my new Galaxy Note3
now Free

No, of course I didnt fabricate or outright lie about my suggested numbers.

I know you didn't make up that number, they tried to feed me the same number last evening. You and I both know that there is a difference ... A BIG DIFFERENCE ... between hits and visitors. That is what they are getting 100,000 hits per second ... which even my service provider used to handle many times over just for two of my sites on the same server.

Mike

Most people will not be willing to make a bootable thumb drive, thus the reference to a "live cd". Norton is as worthless as the hind tit on a boar hog. I use a freebie AV and a couple of anti-spyware programs to clean up most of what it allows through ... and don't get me started on things that we aren't supposed to be able to find because they were added not by hackers, not by spyware, and not by business. You do the math on that one.

Another reason not to include thumb drives is that they can be written to. Well, then you have an infected OS on a thumb drive. The CD/DVD (write once) should not be writeable ... but who knows with the NSA and other government entities who want to dig into your personal life because you took ten bucks for a used power supply and you didn't report that income on your taxes.

Sorry, when I said "security", I was referring to the aspect of just the personal security knowing my servers will have ample headroom and resources to handle momentary bursts of traffic that occured for various reasons or times of day. I didnt mean anything like "network security" or the likes (something for a completely different conversation). My mistake.

Yes, one must plan ahead ... but you need competent people to plan ahead with realistic numbers.

I hate Norton. ..

Sent from my new Galaxy Note3
now Free

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back