Why no mag on metal detectors?

See below for a V3i polar plot with iron under the coil. Sometimes the vectors only appear from 9-12 o'clock.

Attachments

• V3i polar plot with iron below the coil.jpg
    V3i polar plot with iron below the coil.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 10
Wow look at the difference on my Gerber Ultra light knife.
Anywhere within a foot it draws a response and under it, it sets it right off.
I tried the magnet I have on both blades and the grab effect feels hardly discernable in difference between it and my Case knife. Numbers are way higher on the Gerber.
IMG_20240823_152801290.jpg

Screenshot_20240823-152732.png

The Case is 1095 Chrome Vanadium
Gerber 420 High Carbon

Last edited:
So many words in this thread
Yeah, sorry, I initially just had a legit question, one that hasn't been answered. Maybe I've sort of answered myself but I don't think I really have, still waiting lol. Honestly the information in this thread is brutally technical, magnetism is one from the physics texts for sure. Sorry lol

I tried the magnet I have on both blades and the grab effect feels hardly discernable in difference between it and my Case knife. Numbers are way higher on the Gerber.
View attachment 2165170
View attachment 2165171

Gerber 420 High Carbon
Yeah, that knife is probably magnetic enough to be detectable no less than a foot and a half away if you were using a graphical output, i wouldn't be surprised if I got a bump on the magnetogram from something on the order of 2.5 feet, maybe further. 773 mT is a huge number, you're finding out how to use it to gauge the strengths of fields there. Actually the mag can be used to help assess mineral composition especially in the case of hot rocks. I have a decent chunk of hematite I found metal detecting that also registers on the mag, granted it's on the order of a mT or two so you have to use a graphical output to actually see it.
Ok, so take the phone outside away from your house, take off any big steel you might be wearing and work the thing in figure 8s for a full minute. The neighbors will think you're nuts but what that's achieving is to calibrate the sensors especially after subjecting them to the south pole of a pocket knife with such a powerful field. Positive is south, negative is north.
If I plan to be messing around searching for magnetic anomalies in any given location I'll actually calibrate the phone to that location, it does affect absolute numbers, they change from place to place if there's urban noise and distortion about. You should take that thing, walk around the inside of your house or better yet if you have a downtown with tall buildings go walk around there and watch the numbers then, you'll get a concept of just to what extent the metal around, above and below you seriously distort the local field. That's how I can pick up the pipes from a foot+ away with it

View attachment 2165170
View attachment 2165171

Gerber 420 High Carbon
Actually, after you calibrate the thing, re-test that knife and see what numbers you get then. 700+ mT is a pretty high number, I expect that from a neodymium magnet, not a pocket knife🤣
You can tell if it's not correctly calibrated if you step outside and away from the building, are pulling numbers over 50 or under 40 facing any given direction. Remember, large ferrous objects around you will affect the absolute reading but in general, out in the middle of your yard or down at the park the readings should be roughly 46-50, facing north the numbers will drop a point or two and facing south they may increase a point or two
I use an app, the Steel Compass app to judge calibration, it actually tells you outright whether or not things are calibrated or not. I use another app to warn me if I'm about to set it down in a powerful field, I try to be mindful of that, powerful fields can cause havoc with navigational sensors so it's good to be mindful. I'm half inclined to construct a MuMetal sheath or similar for my phone, magnetic shielding can help reduce the affect of powerful local fields.

Last edited:
View attachment 2165170
View attachment 2165171

Gerber 420 High Carbon
Oh, here's one for the visual aid here. If you're using graphical output you can detect this business from a good ways off, the magnetic field is like a 3d fabric, a pull in one place kinda causes the whole field to move. A car driving past literally kicks off an ELF range EM wave that'll travel a little ways before it peeters out almost like striking the strings of a harp. It literally produces a low frequency radio wave as it drives along. It'll cause more noise in the data set if you're close enough, it'll cause big number jumps or drops if you're really close or the vehicle is a big one. Boinnnng! You should consider downloading Phyphox if you're really intrigued, you can characterize all kinds of subtle changes all around you, lightning bolts pull a neat looking pulse train if you have graphical output for the record, caught one yesterday actually. Likewise you can study the magnetic spectrum, check out the Schumann resonances, see how local rotating magnetic fields (spinning wheels in your car, a rotating motor and etc.) causes frequency spikes (elf radio frequency!) and more.....like finding buried iron pipes which is what I'm doing with it lol

Attachments

• Earths-magnetic-field-lines-distorted-by-passing-vehicle-1925223003.jpg
    Earths-magnetic-field-lines-distorted-by-passing-vehicle-1925223003.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
View attachment 2165170
View attachment 2165171

Gerber 420 High Carbon
Oh, and here see, one more graph for the moment. See that up and down in the y axis? That's the movement of an oscillating fan about six feet away from me. The thing only has a weak field but I can detect it pretty strongly at range. Those are literally radio waves, the movement of the fan produces straight up radio waves and legit. They don't travel far but they are detectable for something as sensitive as a mag. Look at the numbers on the chart, see how small these changes are, using absolute numbers you'd never catch this, like ever, much too faint but there it is, proof of concept not that geophysics needs it, they already know but that's why I use graphical output.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240823-111941_phyphox.png
    Screenshot_20240823-111941_phyphox.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 5
I apologize, this thread was posed as a question lol. I never intended it to become a junior high physics lecture. I have no issue explaining how a mag works but the real topic was that I absolutely think they should be standard on metal detectors, they have more uses in relic hunting than simple iron disc though that is a very valid use. I might email a few people to get the physical/technical breakdown on why or why not a mag on a metal detector could work.

I apologize, this thread was posed as a question lol. I never intended it to become a junior high physics lecture. I have no issue explaining how a mag works but the real topic was that I absolutely think they should be standard on metal detectors, they have more uses in relic hunting than simple iron disc though that is a very valid use. I might email a few people to get the physical/technical breakdown on why or why not a mag on a metal detector could work.
All good and very interesting. Hey, who knows maybe it'll spark some new method in detecting. It's pretty much accepted that apart from bells n whistles, the current tech has near reached its limit.

So modern metal detectors of course feature VDI as we all know, identifying iron is generally not an issue but.....
I know with the detector I have, which is definitely entry level, iron is readily detectable up to a certain depth or can be detected once the "halo" is disrupted if the iron is deep, in some cases if it's very deep I get falsing issues leaving me assuming that it's probably iron but it's not 100%. Iron signals can in some cases actually be something like gold which adds to confusion on id.
Now, I've been running experiments with my lowly cellphone hall sensor using detailed physics apps and it identifies iron targets with VERY reliable ability, at considerable depth to boot. Deeper indeed than my metal detector can even sense anything. It ONLY responds to ferrous targets and minerals/objects with a strong magnetic character and it does so with a level of reliability that is absolutely second to none. It can likewise help to determine object geometry in ways the metal detector cannot due to dipolar qualities in magnetic targets. I know the orientation of a target far better using the mag. It makes a pretty decent magnetic locator in my opinion.
If they can put a reliable hall sensor in an Android smart phone cheaply why then can't they include this device into a metal detector? If my metal detector had a hall sensor mag it would take iron discrimination to a whole other level and might make the detector a bit better at finding things like meteorites or dense magnetic mineral deposits at depth. Personally I'd love to see such a feature included in metal detectors.
Is there a reason this isn't a thing in basically all modern metal detectors? Some complications I'm not aware of? Using a graphical display definitely makes using the hall sensor a more viable option for finding ferrous targets be the field negative or positive. I'd think this would be a killer feature in a metal detector. Why is this just not a thing?
So what you discovered is what we were doing in geophysics 30 years ago when trying to determine the best way to detect, discriminate, and classify unexploded ordnance (UXO). We were trying to decide if magnetometry or metal detectors were the best approach.

We spent a lot of money building systems with both, such as the Multisensor Towed Array Detection System (MTADS). This took a lot of work because the metal detector signal would negatively affect the magnetometer. We built custom systems where the magnetometer would make measurements when the time domain metal detector signal was off. This system used a very expensive custom built dune buggy that was completely non-ferrous. This dune buggy towed a custom built trailer that was non-ferrous and all of the components near the metal detectors were plastic. It had an array of Geometrics G-858 magnetometers and an array of Geonics EM61 metal detectors. This type of system would have been generically call digital geophysical mapping (DGM) as we recorded all of the data with RTK GPS positioning for processing.

This has mostly been replaced by Advanced Geophysical Classification (AGC). All AGC instruments are time domain electromagnetic induction metal detectors. They have multiple orientations of transmitter and arrays of multiple orientation receivers. The two most common systems are the GapEOD UltraTEM IV and the White River Technologies OPTEMA and EMPACT instruments. With these systems an operator can get 100% detection, discrimination, and classification of metallic targets up to ~3m (10 ft) depth.

I have posted some examples of me using the GapEOD UltraTEM III on this forum in the past.

I still want an engineer to come give the real reason they haven't put mags on any but the most expensive detectors....
This was tried perhaps 10+ years ago by an experimenter in Australia. I'm pretty sure he used a fluxgate sensor (which adds dead metal to the coil) and found that it didn't really help because he could still detect iron deeper with the detector than the mag sensor could identify.

Since then, I don't know of much effort in placing a mag sensor in a metal detector coil (at the hobby level, not the geophysics level as Ryan discusses above). We talked about it at White's but never had the time to do it. Now, mag sensors are much more sensitive and super tiny so it may make sense. I've been experimenting with a 3-axis magnetoresistive sensor that is 1.6mm square. Currently I'm working on a regular magnetometer (gradiometer) and it works just fine, but I need to write the software calibration to make it user friendly.

A potential problem with a mag sensor, especially in a metal detector where it is unlikely to be used as a gradiometer, is that there needs to be a baseline for detection. The sensor is always immersed in a magnetic field no matter where you are and this varies globally and locally. Probably the easiest solution is to use it only as a ferrous check feature, where you move the coil 8 inches off the target, press a cal button, and then center the coil over the target.

There is still some danger in using this feature, as you may detect a non-ferrous coin that has deeper piece of iron under it that the metal detector does not see, but the mag check will see. And it causes you to move on.

This was tried perhaps 10+ years ago by an experimenter in Australia. I'm pretty sure he used a fluxgate sensor (which adds dead metal to the coil) and found that it didn't really help because he could still detect iron deeper with the detector than the mag sensor could identify.

Since then, I don't know of much effort in placing a mag sensor in a metal detector coil (at the hobby level, not the geophysics level as Ryan discusses above). We talked about it at White's but never had the time to do it. Now, mag sensors are much more sensitive and super tiny so it may make sense. I've been experimenting with a 3-axis magnetoresistive sensor that is 1.6mm square. Currently I'm working on a regular magnetometer (gradiometer) and it works just fine, but I need to write the software calibration to make it user friendly.

A potential problem with a mag sensor, especially in a metal detector where it is unlikely to be used as a gradiometer, is that there needs to be a baseline for detection. The sensor is always immersed in a magnetic field no matter where you are and this varies globally and locally. Probably the easiest solution is to use it only as a ferrous check feature, where you move the coil 8 inches off the target, press a cal button, and then center the coil over the target.

There is still some danger in using this feature, as you may detect a non-ferrous coin that has deeper piece of iron under it that the metal detector does not see, but the mag check will see. And it causes you to move on.
That's a bit more helpful. Thank you. The background baseline I've been able to navigate experimenting around, using a magnetogram plot tells you what's going on with the local field and then any dips or spikes are read against that background. The measurements I've been using are relative in nature but to do it that way it really requires a strong technical understanding of what a mag does and what the graph is telling you. For instance: if I'm gridding at the park with it and I come into a field distortion created by a fence 15 yards away I see the change in baseline and then simply watch for sudden changes within that baseline, an anomalous change that comes and goes as I pass over a given spot regardless of the overarching field numbers. I could see that being a fiddly issue for many to deal with.
In terms of the coin example I've actually been using both the mag and metal detector in conjunction, if there's a non ferrous hit (a clear one) AND a response from the mag it simply tells me that both are present, it could potentially help to a degree with masking issues but the technical issues would have to be hammered out by someone who understands software programming rather better than I. Perhaps it's just to esoteric or requires too much special education to attempt to append it to a standard detector.
The ways that I've been using the phone mag have largely been "passive" meaning no digging is taking place. I use the metal detector to confirm or deny the presence of a metal object when the mag responds and then mark off the spot on the grid if no metal is present. I'm testing it's ability to catch non ferrous anomalies I.E. fire pit rocks/soil magnetic remanence, lighting induced remanence, magnetic soil deposits around old subsurface features/backfill and similar. It does work to some degree in those ways but further experimenting is required. The noise levels in the phone mag are manageable but definitely hurt it's ability to pick up REALLY faint stuff. I'm able to meaningfully read changes of about a half micro Tesla which is just enough but better could be had I suspect. It's ability to pick out potential archaeological features is probably what's of the greatest value for relic hunting but it may just not be of use enough in that realm specifically to be of interest to the bulk of hobby detectorists. Still, given my knowledge of this technology I'd still be quite happy to have it as a feature on a metal detector, it has it's uses for sure. A design with less noise would be ideal

Last edited:
So what you discovered is what we were doing in geophysics 30 years ago when trying to determine the best way to detect, discriminate, and classify unexploded ordnance (UXO). We were trying to decide if magnetometry or metal detectors were the best approach.

We spent a lot of money building systems with both, such as the Multisensor Towed Array Detection System (MTADS). This took a lot of work because the metal detector signal would negatively affect the magnetometer. We built custom systems where the magnetometer would make measurements when the time domain metal detector signal was off. This system used a very expensive custom built dune buggy that was completely non-ferrous. This dune buggy towed a custom built trailer that was non-ferrous and all of the components near the metal detectors were plastic. It had an array of Geometrics G-858 magnetometers and an array of Geonics EM61 metal detectors. This type of system would have been generically call digital geophysical mapping (DGM) as we recorded all of the data with RTK GPS positioning for processing.

This has mostly been replaced by Advanced Geophysical Classification (AGC). All AGC instruments are time domain electromagnetic induction metal detectors. They have multiple orientations of transmitter and arrays of multiple orientation receivers. The two most common systems are the GapEOD UltraTEM IV and the White River Technologies OPTEMA and EMPACT instruments. With these systems an operator can get 100% detection, discrimination, and classification of metallic targets up to ~3m (10 ft) depth.

I have posted some examples of me using the GapEOD UltraTEM III on this forum in the past.
Actually I was hoping this thread would catch your eye, I've read some of your past posts and the work you do is kind of incredible. So I take it that it's a logistical/cost nightmare incorporating a mag into a MD? We now have better tech available? The gadget I've been experimenting with isn't exactly scientific grade, it's a noisy cell mag lol. It does have some capacity to detect thermal remanence but I'm still exploring the limits there, it's only going to get 2-3" depth on most such features. It does great with basalt, basalt sets off the MD too but the mag responds rather more strongly. My intention is to attempt to locate the point of a lightning strike with the hope of finding fulgurites, I believe the sensor should be up to the task provided the LIRM is fresh enough. A second intention is to find out if it can trace the outline of an ancient earth work (unexcavated pueblito), if it'll respond visibly to magnetic soil build up in the foundation line surrounding the ruin. Don't know what I'll see there but it's worth trying if for nothing beyond the value of the experiment.
Based on what you're saying mags have been superceded by the most advanced detectors. Correct?

Actually I was hoping this thread would catch your eye, I've read some of your past posts and the work you do is kind of incredible. So I take it that it's a logistical/cost nightmare incorporating a mag into a MD? We now have better tech available? The gadget I've been experimenting with isn't exactly scientific grade, it's a noisy cell mag lol. It does have some capacity to detect thermal remanence but I'm still exploring the limits there, it's only going to get 2-3" depth on most such features. It does great with basalt, basalt sets off the MD too but the mag responds rather more strongly. My intention is to attempt to locate the point of a lightning strike with the hope of finding fulgurites, I believe the sensor should be up to the task provided the LIRM is fresh enough. A second intention is to find out if it can trace the outline of an ancient earth work (unexcavated pueblito), if it'll respond visibly to magnetic soil build up in the foundation line surrounding the ruin. Don't know what I'll see there but it's worth trying if for nothing beyond the value of the experiment.
Based on what you're saying mags have been superceded by the most advanced detectors. Correct?
The issue with magnetometer data that people often don’t understand is the nature of the source and the resulting secondary magnetic field.

Metal detector targets are generally monopoler positive responses centered over the target (assuming a concentric coil design and not a double d). Magnetic anomalies are dipole responses unless you are at the magnetic north or South Pole where the magnetic field is perpendicular to the earth’s surface. Near the equator, the earth’s magnetic field is essentially horizontal. This means that on most of the plant you get both a positive and a negative peak in the bipolar response where the location of the positive and negative peak are a function of the target mass, target depth, target shape, magnetic inclination, and magnetic declination.

You don’t get pretty monopoles responses until you process your data and apply either the reduction to the pole (RTP) or analytic signal (AS) processing steps to it.

This means that dealing with magnetic data is much more complex that metal detector data.

As to whether magnetometers have been superseded by metal detectors, the answer can be yes, no, or it depends.

Magnetometers are much smaller and lighter than metal detectors. They can sample much faster, my QuSpin atomic magnetometers can sample at 1 kHz and have a complete package that weighs under 300 g with GNSS and data logger.

As to whether magnetometers have been superseded by metal detectors, the answer can be yes, no, or it depends.

Magnetometers are much smaller and lighter than metal detectors. They can sample much faster, my QuSpin atomic magnetometers can sample at 1 kHz and have a complete package that weighs under 300 g with GNSS and data logger.
I had to go research a bunch of geophysics and of course the subject of magnetometry itself to be able to use it so running it like some kooky metal detector isn't exactly turn-on-and-go. There's a lot of nuances to reading the information the magnetogram is spitting out at you so I could see how there are probably a lot of variables to consider when putting it on an MD.
It makes a solid magnetic locator that's for sure though my uses for that would be sporadic at most I suppose. I'm really just trying to see if the sensor is up to certain tasks and metal detecting was checked off the list early on, that it does, finds the utilities reliably lol. Great depth on some pretty weird targets, it's a fun science experiment honestly

So I take it that it's a logistical/cost nightmare incorporating a mag into a MD?
I would say it's quite easy if, say, a magnetoresistive sensor has enough sensitivity. Metal detectors already have a powered PCB in the coil for a preamp, accelerometer, and security micro. It would be trivial to add a mag chip. For best results you probably want to put a reference sensor in the control box and run it as a gradiometer, and if your using a 3-axis mag chip you can do a software cal for the ambient magnetic field. However, even a slight change in the coil tilt will mess up the calibration so it could be really difficult to use. And, as Ryan points out, the swept response of an iron target can be confusing depending on the Earth field inclination. But still cheap and easy to add on to a detector.

Different tools for different jobs. In some cases using a mag makes no sense, in some cases it's a far better tool than a metal detector.

I would say it's quite easy if, say, a magnetoresistive sensor has enough sensitivity. Metal detectors already have a powered PCB in the coil for a preamp, accelerometer, and security micro. It would be trivial to add a mag chip. For best results you probably want to put a reference sensor in the control box and run it as a gradiometer, and if your using a 3-axis mag chip you can do a software cal for the ambient magnetic field. However, even a slight change in the coil tilt will mess up the calibration so it could be really difficult to use. And, as Ryan points out, the swept response of an iron target can be confusing depending on the Earth field inclination. But still cheap and easy to add on to a detector.

Different tools for different jobs. In some cases using a mag makes no sense, in some cases it's a far better tool than a metal detector.
Yeah, the mag, as near as I can tell, serves two primary functions:
-Geological survey which I actually have been messing with some, looking at magnetism in local rock deposits and I think I may have actually found my first potential lightning strike location, no fulgurites yet however.
-finding subsurface structural features, iron obviously is an important structural material but also bricks, various types of stone used in building, thermal remanence in fire pits or hearths and etc.
As far as iron goes the range is exceptional not that I'm out looking for iron objects though I often don't ignore them when I find them. In terms of the rest I'm experimenting at this point, I need to try gridding locations where I know structures once stood to see what turns up. For sure I can find subsurface brick paving/foundation but I'm curious about anything else it might pick up in terms of structural remnants. I'm still making up my mind about the use of it in land relic hunting, it's an interesting device for sure, the kind of information it turns up can be pretty strange

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back