Why Is It ??

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I have found numerous 1965 quarters but no 1964 or older . Can a really experienced person
cherry pick silver coins & ignore clad ? I can't think of any other reason this is happening . The only
other explantion I can come up with is someone hit the places around here hard when they heard
coins were going to change . It doesn't seem likely that they would have got all the silver though .
Anyone having the same experiences ?

I dont understand also.
why can i find a hand full of clad in an area where old coins should be!

I recently moved in to a big old farm house
I found 30 clad up to six inches all recent dates
then i found 1907 indian head
1866 indian head penny
1866 2 cent peice
1867 sheild nickle
wouldnt you say there is a big generation gap here!
no silver.
im very lucky to find the old coins
but almost all of my other sites are clad

Beats me I'm new to the DFX and found one silver Rosie at a real old park by an equally old slide and one Merc in my 1920's front yard.
Everything else clad except for a1957 dog tag.I'm in the same boat ya'll are in. WTH? We need answers! I guess back to :icon_study: for me. hehe

I've found two nice silver coins this year. A SLQ and a 1943 WL Half. Both times my Sovereign gave me the high tone and the meter indicated a 1/10/25/50/1$ coin. I found both times the high tone had a flutter on it. Not a broken signal type of thing, just a good high tone with flutter.

Both of my finds were in areas that not a lot of people gathered at. One was an old home site from the 1930's and the other on an old abandoned cart road.
Thats my story for what its worth.

here is an example

two yards I hunted.one was a farmer and the other was a merchant.they were neighbors from the same time period.the merchants yard gave up barbers,mercs,silver washingtons,wheats and I/h's.the farmers yard only
gave up a couple of wheats and two i/h's.

back in the late 60' early 70's there was a m/d craze going on and those old parks were hit pretty good
with handfuls of silver not uncommon (from what I hear from the old timers).

then there are dry spells when your coil does not go over silver.one summer I got skunked on silver then
the next season I was rewarded with a seated liberty half dime.

one could only dig deep coin signals but you are going to miss some stuff.

HH

I'duna know,Paul,but around here about the only hard cash us kids got was what we got fighting for nickels and dimes pitched onto the Company Store steps by the miners to watch us fight.
That hard won booty got spent in the store for 3 cent 10 oz Cokes,Moon Pies ,and bubble gum with the comic in it.
Those moneygrubbing baxards in the store never let any coin get away.

I imagine anyone visiting a park or common areas today would have the same observations. You just have to remember that these common detecting sites have been detected hard for more than 40 years. They did indeed produce a lot of silver as I remember finding 30 to 50 silver coins each outing. Then came the silver rush of the late 70's in which silver briefly hit $50 an ounce. Everyone and his grandmother was using a weed wacker in the parks looking for silver.

Your friends have already given you the advise you need. Stick the coil where no one has gone before. Try sidewalk detecting or old lot detecting.

By the way finding any OLD COIN besides silver is a VICTORY.

Happy Hunting
George

The simple answer is yes, some guys got so good with their older models of detectors even in the seventies they were cherry picking the parks and schools but you can prolly find some good finds if you stay to the outer fringes of these locations.

WV Hillbilly said:
I have found numerous 1965 quarters but no 1964 or older . Can a really experienced person
cherry pick silver coins & ignore clad ? I can't think of any other reason this is happening . The only
other explantion I can come up with is someone hit the places around here hard when they heard
coins were going to change . It doesn't seem likely that they would have got all the silver though .
Anyone having the same experiences ?

I've wondered about that too.
Not sure I agree with the cherry-picking theory.
I've found "virgin" sites and there are plenty of pennies prior to '65 but all
the other coins seem to stop at 65.
I'm wondering if the number of coins in circulation increased after
they no longer had real silver in them?
I'm sure some sources show how many coins minted in each
denomination. I know over a billion dimes were minted during WWII!

Didnt pull tabs come into being in 64...somewhere in there.

Anyhow...I was finding a lot more silver back in the early 80's. Lots of the parks we hit were easy pickings without the tons of pull tabs we got now. So sweeping a detector before pull tabs made it easy to do some damage to the siver coin population back then. Multiply the pull tab usage, then everything that came with screw off caps...plus the area had been hit hard of silver and older coins ...and over the years you get that lack of silver.

But I have also found that lots of detector users are sloppy in their hunting.

I went to one park, and its not very big, where a guy told me he detected and a few of his buddies detected...and I still pulled out some older roosies. something from the mid 40's were the dates.

Seems my dfx became a little silver dime magnet for a while.

The siver is still there..maybe masked by trash, maybe deeper, maybe just passed over a little too quickly with a wide sweep that misses space as it swings around the ground.
To me, it just becomes all the more challenge to find that coin someone else missed. Thats why I dig a great deal of my iffy tones....you just never know why that coin sounded funny, not exactly like you expected because it was kinda on its side or a piece of foil next to it. Sometimes it's just the angle of approach that makes you miss that target....sometimes Xing that spot to center it, I lose the signal, but when I dig it anyhow...sometimes its a coin.

And i get a thrill digging that one silver I know a half dozen other detectors missed.
Al

I can remember bring home 15-20 silver coins from a single hunt in our city park day after day with an old Garrett Freedom. I go back now with my DFX and find an occasional missed wheatie but silver is a rare find. What I do find are coins that the newer technology of my detector are giving me. Most are either deeper than my old detector could go, had been masked by trash, or in areas where my new detector handles the conditions better.

Todays hunter, unless you're lucky enough to be in virgin territory, has to hunt smarter and use modern technology to their advantage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back