Whose face is this?

Riaoss

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's this huge chunk of glass with a face carved on its front. I'm trying to figure out whose face it might be and its history. Does anybody have any idea?
20201007_162626.jpg
20201007_162632.jpg

Nice piece! I think the face is just generic?

That was my first thought until I saw the ornament on the front of the headdress or hair. It may not be a specific person but represents something.

My questions is: Is it broken off a larger piece or simply unfinished?

Upvote 0
I would agree that both the headdress ornament and the 'eyeliner' place this as 'Egyptian' in the loosest sense. If you go to Egypt, you will see all kinds of moulded, carved and moulded-embellished-with-carving pieces representing everything from Pharaohs and Cleopatra to Anubis and sacred cats sold at markets... plus generic figures of no particular assignation. And in every material you can think of, including glass. They're sold as ornaments, paperweights or pseudo-relics and have been around since the 1800s.

I would think this (which is likely a broken part of something larger) falls into that category and is probably vintage or perhaps even antique, but not Dynastic. When I blow up the picture I can see numerous areas which exhibit the tell-tale signs of having been ground with modern rotary tools.

Upvote 0
fun garden ornament for sure, but a generic face

Upvote 0
Don’t know but it’s pretty cool

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back