WHOA CW RELIC! WHAT IS IT?!

Johnnybegood

Oct 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today in Rogersville Tennessee. 1 Eagles holding an anchor while the other one looks like a general service coat button. They are attached with hooks and clasps. I was very surprised when I pulled it out of the hole to see that it was still in pretty good condition and together. Anyone ever seen one before or have any idea what it is? 20171018_223421.jpg20171018_223445.jpg20171018_223519.jpg

That's a cool find! Not sure what it is, but I'll be watching.
Congratulations!

HH, RN

Upvote 0
Wow! That is impressive !! What a beautiful piece, never seen anything like that before. Congrats !!

Upvote 0
I found a single piece at a Spanish-American war camp here in Georgia.

Attachments

• 2 27 2016 finds cleaned.jpg
    2 27 2016 finds cleaned.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0
Jason in Enid asked:
""So are the buttons original period or repros made for the belt?

The pieces you found aren't actually buttons. So I guess the most accurate answer to your question is, they are reproductions. Button emblem stamping dies were used to make the pieces of the belt. The dies were being used to make buttons in the same years the belts were being manufactured, and in some cases for a while after the button's emblem were discontinued.

That being said, remember, the "eagle button" emblem on your belt pieces was used from 1854 to 1875, and that particular version of US Navy emblem was used from the 1850s until 1941.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back