Who Where The "Copper Culture" People?

Re: Who Where The "Copper Culture" People?

I just read something new on them, but can't remember where. Seems the current hypothesis is that they pre-dated the more "contemporary" native American cultures by quite a bit, then disappeared. Somewhere someone attributed their demise to a large scale natural catastrophe like a major meteor impact or something............

If I can remember where I read it, I'll post it.

Diggem'

I know that the people today known as "Native American" (which really all of us born here are) generally claim these people as their direct ancestors.

But the really off thing is their artifacts date back so far and how they are found today is also a great mystery. I read somewhere that when these people stopped mining the float copper they just suddenly disappeared. They left their tools laying right where they were working. It's almost like they were suddenly carried away by something and never able to return.

All mining of float copper ceased with their sudden disappearance until the European settlers started working their old mines.

The peoples we call "Native American" today have no continuing record of mining copper that dates back to these mysterious "Copper Culture" people.

It's all very interesting. But then mankind has been on this earth a long time so maybe there's a little more to human history than what we see on the "History Channel." :icon_jokercolor:

Some of the lost tribes of Florida had copper artifacts. Namely the Timucuan Indians. They had copper breastplates that were similar
to what was found in archaeological digs of the Ohio Mississippians.

The attached picture shows one of these warriors with the copper breastplate.

Interesting that these native people never melted and poured liquid metal as it was all cold hammered. There are other interesting
mysteries of these people too.

Historically yours,

- Ray Osborne
Author from Cape Canaveral.

Attachments

• n4timucuan2.jpg
    n4timucuan2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,014

ourhistory153 said:
Some of the lost tribes of Florida had copper artifacts. Namely the Timucuan Indians. They had copper breastplates that were similar
to what was found in archaeological digs of the Ohio Mississippians.

The attached picture shows one of these warriors with the copper breastplate.

Interesting that these native people never melted and poured liquid metal as it was all cold hammered. There are other interesting
mysteries of these people too.

Historically yours,

- Ray Osborne
Author from Cape Canaveral.

Good stuff, thanks.

There's so much we don't know and probably never will know. Too bad the records weren't kept.

Copper sure was mined heavily centuries ago and I know of some treasure hunters who find enormous quantities of copper artifacts. One fellow in Michigan's Upper Peninsula finds a dozen or so every time he hunts. Years ago he and his buddies found a really hot area. I was invited to hunt with them but was unable to make it.

At one time I had over 50 nearly perfect pieces but sold them on ebay. I wish I had kept them. :(

Keep the good info coming.

Do you have any of those Ebay pics of your artifacts you can post?

The interesting thing about the Timucuan Indians of North Florida is that any early academian determined that
their language set was similar to a Venezuelan dialect.

The Timucuan Indians were considered the mound builders here in Florida and many of their artifacts are similar
to the mound builders of Ohio and Alabama. What is also fascinating is not only is there a mound shaped like
a Serpent (Snake) in Ohio but in Wisconsin there is a mound shaped like an American Elephant (Masatdon).
Wow, that takes Mound Building back in time.

BTW: Doesn't copper oxidize in time?

Attachments

• 300px-Serpent_mound_8438.jpg
    300px-Serpent_mound_8438.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,855

There's so much we don't know and probably never will know. Too bad the records weren't kept.

Copper sure was mined heavily centuries ago and I know of some treasure hunters who find enormous quantities of copper artifacts. One fellow in Michigan's Upper Peninsula finds a dozen or so every time he hunts. Years ago he and his buddies found a really hot area. I was invited to hunt with them but was unable to make it.

At one time I had over 50 nearly perfect pieces but sold them on ebay. I wish I had kept them. :(

Keep the good info coming.

Still it is fun piecing together the information we do have. That's why I am posting here, to see if other people in other parts
of the US have similar items.

This picture is a copper breast plate (thought to be) that was found at Mt Royal here in Florida. Check out the designs, anybody else
see this kind of design?

Attachments

• mtroyalplate.jpg
    mtroyalplate.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,850

I've decided to leave TN. Too many people don't want me here.

So, take care all and keep digging those great Copper Culture artifacts.

And, keep posting these great comments and photos.

Best to you.

Hey Guys,
This is my first post, a newbie from the northwoods. I'm still on the hunt for a metal detector but thought this thread quite interesting since I am a Yooper. I have read many things about the folks that had mined the copper over the years and there is far to much that is exagerated. From the amount of people that mined the copper to the amount of stone sledges that were used and left by the pits. There is really no proof that the Indians that live in the areas of the U.P. and Northern WI did not mine the copper due to the fact that it was mined over a long period of time and most all of their records were word of mouth. The fact does remain that they all traded in this material for ages. There has been alot of folklore written about this and as you can tell it makes for a great read and conversation.
This copper can be literally found any where in the western U.P. and many parts of N. Wisconsin. Heck when ever I am back up home and taking my walks I can find a piece here and there right on the gravel roads. Most of this is due anymore to the crushing of the poor rock piles and then used for road gravel. But I can say I use to find it quite often after I plowed a field ,pulled stumps etc.
I will tell you a dandy. When about 12 or 13 years old I was helping my grandfather dig in a new field tile. I was about a spade deep and a leather bag fell out of the side of the ditch. I went to pick it up and it disintegrated. In the bag was a nugget of gold, silver, a few bones and last but not least was a piece of half breed copper about 4" x 4" x 1". Never new what grandpa did with the nuggets but I kept the half breed and still have it to this day. You can see where it was chiseled off a larger piece but is really quite smooth overall. So I can only figure it was sticking out of the ground somewhere. Where my grandfathers home was lies just off Lake Superior and a trout stream ran through it. I know the Indian trail was about 2 miles west (inland) from his house. If only it could tell me how it got there and who had it. I don't have a digital but if I can borrow one and take a few pics I'll definately get it on here for you guys to see. Had a guy 10 years ago offer 2k for it. I will never sell it. Well it was great chatting with you guys and hope to have my MD purchased within the next couple of weeks. And yes I'll be copper hunting for sure. I'm leaning toward the White Matrix M6. Thanks for your time and reading my ramble.

welcome from Menominee, UP, you will not go wrong with the m-6, love to see the pics

Northwoods that's one interesting story you have there about the leather bag and all. Not long ago they were fixin an old apartment building near me and found what they believe to be the bones from someone's arm. No treasure was found though ;D You just never know what will come out of the dirt next. Post a picture of your "half breed" copper sometime.
PM

For sure I will post a pick but probably not till this fall when I get back up home. You see I currently live in Central IL (Peoria) The wife and I have a home in Nisula, Mi. Probably not to many know where that is unless your heading toward Mass City or Greenland or what the heck Ontanogan via M38. Anyway only 4 and a half more years and we can retire and head back north. I did forget to tell you that I know a fella up there that found a copper ax head in the trout stream behind my grandpas home (now my parents home). My brother was at a garage sale at his house and saw it sitting on a shelf and asked him about it. Told my brother where he found it. Guess he has some other artifacts too.
There are alot of good areas here in central il to hunt. Alot of history here. Civil War Camps etc... I actually started out MDing back in the early 70's with a Heathkit and Bounty Hunter. In between of and on for many years I owned a few Garretts but not for sometime now. It really looks like it has changed dramatically over the past decade. All your advise is truly appreciated. Not to sound bias but a special hello to all my fellow Yoopers! U.P. Northwoods

Nope! I'm over in the Copper Country. Baraga or L'anse ring a bell. About 2 hrs. NW of Iron Mountain or how about 85 miles due west of Marquette. Help any?

Thompy said:
welcome from Menominee, UP, you will not go wrong with the m-6, love to see the pics

Which is a better MD?

TheVision XJ9 by Treasure Hunter

MPX Digital metal detector

U.P. Northwoods said:
Nope! I'm over in the Copper Country. Baraga or L'anse ring a bell. About 2 hrs. NW of Iron Mountain or how about 85 miles due west of Marquette. Help any?

I've been in your area vacationing. A friend took me out into the bay to fish lake trout. That fellow really knew his stuff. He also was a float copper hunter and he had some pretty excellent Copper Culture artifacts. His backyard was filled with giant hunks of float copper. He had a buddy with heavy equipment to retrieve copper for him. I saw him dig a nice chunk of copper out of a guy's driveway. I still have that piece.

northwoods i plan on hooking up with a buddy probally sept, he lives near Mass to do a little hunting, want to get up there for 4-5 days

Thompy,
That would awsome but can not swing it as I have several engagements with WWII History going on. I do occassional speakings and reenactments. Mostly public affairs. Have been only able to do one this year and that was in April in Indiana for a Museum. Say the fellow I was involved with on that particular event is George Koskimaki. Lives in Northville now but is a Yooper too. He's 86 now. Was in the 101st Airborne. Jumped at Normandy and Holland (A Bridge to Far) He was General Maxwell Taylors personal radioman. Sorry Taylor was the C.O. of the 101st in WWII. Anyway George has written 3 books over the years and is very well known. I may be in Kingsford with George in mid to late Aug. They made the Gliders for the Airborne in Kingsford during the war.
Anyway George is originally from L'anse and has a cabin just south of Ishpeming that he stays in during the summer. So now you know what my other hobby is. WWII vets are very, very special to me. Been involved in this stuff since 1984 when I was just a pup of 25. Sorry to ramble but I tell you I really would like to get together once I get back there. We will be back home the 1st week of Oct.. Keep me up to date what your finding and looking forward to meeting you!

Can someone post a pic of float copper, or what it looks like before they hammer it? Thanks

Shemanese said:
Can someone post a pic of float copper, or what it looks like before they hammer it? Thanks

Generally, "float" copper was carried south from the Superior Lake area by continental glaciers 10,000 years ago
and deposited in areas that were not native to the Copper producing areas in northern Wi and UP MI.

Float.jpg

All this stuff is new to me too ;D. . . but interesting!
watercolor

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back