Who Knew This Hobby Could Make You Hit The Bottle ??

Captain Clad

Sep 13, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 505, White's Bullseye II
Hello again to all, hope you're enjoying prosperous hunting! Thought I'd take a few minutes to show the latest hunt -- an 1890's home located in Portland.

Great weather here last week, the wife (aka Admiral Abuse) and I took the opportunity to spend some time here to see what was waiting for us. Short history on the place, home was built in 1891, homeowner had found a couple of older bottles in the back garden area and was curious about what else may be there. Since the house is unoccupied right now, thought it was a good chance to spend a nice, relaxing day huntin'.....

pdx022.JPG

Arrived bright and early, as you can see by the pic, the house sits pretty much in the center of the lot......"side yards" are only walkways about 3 feet wide on either side, with a small front yard and back yard......didn't figure it was going to take a lot of time to hunt, the Admiral headed off to the backyard while I started searching around the front porch.

Right off along the sidewalk, hit a solid signal, moved about an inch of dirt and extracted a 1959 penny.......about 6 inches away, a 1964 Canadian penny.......nothing special, but I'm thinking this place might not be too bad after all.... :thumbsup:

About this time, the homeowner stopped by, showed him how everything worked and what we were up to......that's all good and fine, but of course, he had other ideas ::) He walked me around to the backyard, and opened up an access door for under the house --- yep, he wanted me to detect UNDER the house ??? Not sure why, and he couldn't really give me a good reason, but he wasn't budging.....he wanted to know what was under the house!!

Now, I'm seeing the visions of hidden silver being replaced by all manner of things creepy-crawly :help:.......great.....but I figured it's his place, might as well humor him at least while he was watching :icon_salut:......so, lotsa light in hand, away I went..... :wave:

pdx035.JPG

Yep, the Admiral just had to take this one.......wasn't near as bad as I thought, had about 3 feet clearance and the dirt was pretty loose, no exposure to weather......I headed off to the far corner, underneath the front porch --- maybe somebody dropped something through the cracks?? Started finding nails --- LOTS of nails, all shapes, sizes, vintages.....but nothing else.....

Started working my way across to a side porch that was once open, about halfway there got another "nail" hit.....dug about 2 inches, and popped an intact bottle.......hmmmmmm :icon_scratch:........no metal tho, signal still there.....a bit further, another bottle, no metal........well, so it went - this part of the house kept me busy for the next 5 hours!! About 6 inches down I found the metal tobacco can, one of the few metal items in the area, but it led me to all that you'll see!!

The area was right along the front foundation, behind the garage, which was added after the house was built, and sits lower than the house (you can see in the first pic). At the back wall of the garage, there is another underhouse access door, and we ended up with a hole there about 6 feet wide, 5 feet deep, and I've just grouped together what came outta there.......

pdx001.JPG pdx008.JPG

pdx013.JPG pdx018.JPG

Yep, more bottles......lotsa bottles......newest ones seem to be 1950's, with many older. Probably 75% came out intact, I'm guessing that access hole became the trash receptacle, since these were all within 6 feet inside the door.....and no exposure to the elements, some nice labels too!! A couple of the highlights....

pdx014.JPG

Orange Crush --- and 4 different label styles too!!

pdx009.JPG

Purex jug --- found a couple of these, but this one still had the Purex-embossed cork in the top!

pdx021.JPG

Eewwwww.........Sperm Sewing Maching Oil ----WHERE ARE MY GLOVES????

Wow, just set the Garrett aside and started carefully digging......VERY little here that would work with a detector anyway!!

As an added bonus, as I was headed out at the end of the day, I found that I had forgotten to turn off the detector........found this out when I sat it down near the opening of the first access door (that I had entered to start the day).......the thing just started goin' nuts!! Now, I've found that the Garrett will react very unfavorably when it gets within about 10 feet of another detector, so I figured the Admiral had her Bounty Hunter right outside the door. Nope, turned off and across the yard........so, I figures what the hey, I'll find out.......4 inches down, here's the culprit, right??

pdx038.JPG

Except that's not how my day is going to go, is it :wink:.........pliers came out of the ground, but now I've got a metal plate and a couple of other things looking at me - I'm thinking the lid of a tool box??........nope, a hanger of some type?? Well, after about 18 inches down, it became obvious that this group of goodies continued back underneath a concrete porch slab, and I didn't really want to dig back under that!!

The highlights of this pit, along with some clothes fragments, misc. small items, etc not pictured.....

pdx043.JPG

This bad boy was partially under the concrete porch, wonder what else is there :icon_scratch:

pdx044.JPG

Jeez, UNDER the house??? What's gonna be there, anyway? Homeowner told me that neighborhood legend says the lot was once used for trash from the area, but that doesn't add up with the age of many of the bottles we dug out, and there wasn't any rhyme or reason as to how they came out of the ground (ie, newest to oldest as we dug down).

All in all tho, turned out to be a pretty good day, and the homeowner has a new collection too!! He let me know that he's planning to take the house down in the next year or so, and we're going to do a bit more searching then, should be interesting!! Until then, I'm heading back to that front yard!

Thanks to everybody for reading, sorry about the length of the post but lots of stuff here, and I hope you enjoy!! Working on a few new projects, I'll be back soon to share the hunts!

Happy hunting to all,

The Captain & Admiral

Upvote 0
Let's stop this post now....Talking about Sperm whales and such...Aaahhhhhh LOL...Nice bottles. There has to be coinage in there.. ;D ;D jgas

That is a lot of bottles! I'm surprised that you didn't find lots more coins. Maybe next time or after he tears the house down. Great hunt...and, I'll bet, a very tiring one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back