Which would you go with coils?

It would depend on which machine you have, the depth of the targets, and how trash intensive your hunting site is. Post more info.

My uncle uses the 5 by 8 DD on his AT Pro and loves it compared to the stock coil.

Which coil would you get

I’m going to buy a new smaller coil a sniper 4.5 or a 5 by 8 DD which would you go with I have a large DD rite know
Imm new to the hobby myself but what I can tell you is this, I put a 4in BH coil on my BHPEX and if it's round and made of metal and 5" or less deep it will be seen by it. I even put it on a BHQDPRO which runs at roughly 1.khz higher frequency than the coil itself was intended for with the same result. It's a $35 coin sniffing bloodhound. IDK what your detectors frequency is but if it's roughly 6.5 to7.5, for $35 for the coil,and another say $15 for a 30 watt soldering iron n rosin core solder from Wally world,and some 50cent pin connectors your in buisness for coins 5" or less at half the price of the other sniper coils I see for sale.hope that can help.

I would go with the 5x8. It should get better depth vs 4.5, better coverage, and the coil shape will give access to tight areas.

I'm a big fan of small coils.
I used a 6" EQ 2 coil on my E-Trac for many years - never took it off.
Lot's of 7" + Dimes and countless other great finds.
Great for isolating good targets - getting into tight spots and overgrown areas, better detector balance, etc.
The only draw backs of small coils are less ground coverage and some loss of depth.

I would go with the 5x8 coil over the 4.5 coil.
I used a 5" round coil for a short time - it was only able to hit very shallow targets - sold it.

Good luck !

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of small coils
I used a 6" EQ 2 coil on my E-Trac for many years - never took it off.
Lot's of 7" + Dimes and countless other great finds.
Great for isolating good targets - getting into tight spots and overgrown areas, better detector balance, etc.
The only draw backs of small coils are less ground coverage and some loss of depth.

I would go with the 5x8 coil over the 4.5 coil.
I used a 5" round coil for a short time - it was only able to hit very shallow targets - sold it.

Good luck !
Hope you were just putting out what works for you.

The OP has been here for over 6 years.
Screenshot_20240930_115101_Chrome.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back