Which detector for a newbie.

I was looking at the Simplex for starting out or the Garrett Apex. Which one do you think is the better to start out with or should I go with an ace 300 or 400?
I can only tell you, from my experience, the Simplex is a good starter unit. It can frustrate you. Mine finds everything and I haven’t learned to discriminate the ferrous material yet. I know there are better units out there for more $$. I would not get rid of my Simplex for anything. Everyone has an opinion, and opinions are never wrong. Good luck!🍀

I started with Bounty hunter but upgraded to the simplex a couple years ago, I really like the machine and it really punches above its price point, I just ordered a Legend since a lot of the dealers are cutting prices in preparation for the new stock with the upgrades. I say get the simplex or spend the extra on the legend. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube for both machines.

I was looking at the Simplex for starting out or the Garrett Apex. Which one do you think is the better to start out with or should I go with an ace 300 or 400?
Lets narrow the search down
1) Where do you think you'll be hunting-land or water or the beach
2) If land parks/schools or private property like cellars holes/homesteads
3) How much is you budget
4) How much time do have to learn the basics of the machine-retired/weekends only/only on vacation.

I'm sure there's more but that's the basics I can think of at the moment.
BTW Welcome to the forum.
You'll be amazed at the wide range of knowledge here, and most are willing to share it.

You might consider this offer

Another option might be the Minelab X-Terra Pro metal detector. It looks like it will be a good beginner detector, from what videos I've watched.

Another option might be the Minelab X-Terra Pro metal detector. It looks like it will be a good beginner detector, from what videos I've watched.
The reason I was looking at Garrett was that I have a credit for Home Depot of $350 and they carry Garrett metal detectors. But they don’t carry Simplex, but I heard they were very simple. So I was contemplating on not using the credit. I guess the more accurate question would be… Which Garrett metal detector would you get for starting out? Is the Apex too complicated or should I go with an ace three or 400?

Lets narrow the search down
1) Where do you think you'll be hunting-land or water or the beach
2) If land parks/schools or private property like cellars holes/homesteads
3) How much is you budget
4) How much time do have to learn the basics of the machine-retired/weekends only/only on vacation.

I'm sure there's more but that's the basics I can think of at the moment.
BTW Welcome to the forum.
You'll be amazed at the wide range of knowledge here, and most are willing to share it.
I want something to grow with. I like the Simplex because it’s waterproof and has the vibration feature, so you can use it on the ground and in water. An easy beginner detector, but can be modified and tweaked to be an intermediate to advanced detector. Does that make sense?

I have a $350 credit with Home Depot and they carry Garrett, so which Garrett would you recommend?

I have an Apex and it's very easy to use right out of the box. It's a pretty basic machine, not complicated at all. The main advantage is that it's simultaneous multi frequency, which is why I bought mine. If you want a Garrett I'd suggest the Apex.

If I was going to buy a Garrett metal detector it would be the Apex metal detector. If you got a bigger budget then you could get a Garrett AT Max.

Ill throw my 2 cents in as a new guy. I started a year ago and got a legend for my first detector. Its fully waterproof and well built. I have been getting mine wet and banging it around a lot in the past year and its still working just fine. You can also run it out of the box, or tweak more advanced settings as you learn which is what really sold me. Any issues with updating the machine are fixed at this point so that's a non issue. Some see updates as a negative, but I think they are good. You know the company isn't just trying to crank out new machines for you to buy, they improve what's already out there. I've used a garret a bit and I hate the noise and lack of customizable settings.

Main thing is buy what you want, either way you're going to find metal.

if you're looking for basically a "free" detector the Ace400 is a decent unit, if you plan on spending $ above the $350 credit you have I would save the credit for tools and spend the money on a Nokta. eg if you were to spend $350 credit plus $350 cash to get a AT Pro, I would just spend $350 on a Nokta simplex and save the store credit for other stuff. Does that make sense?

Hey y’all, I went ahead with the Garrett Apex because Home Depot gave me a 10% off coupon and the Garrett pin pointer. I appreciate all the advice. I know it’s not water proof but it’s water resistant so at least I can get it a little wet. I think the coil is waterproof so The waterline isn’t out. I think the multi frequency will be something I can build up to after a while, and the reviews seem that it’s somewhat simple to use.. Once again, thanks.

Any advice for coils and accessories that one might need? Special shovels, sifters, etc.

if you're looking for basically a "free" detector the Ace400 is a decent unit, if you plan on spending $ above the $350 credit you have I would save the credit for tools and spend the money on a Nokta. eg if you were to spend $350 credit plus $350 cash to get a AT Pro, I would just spend $350 on a Nokta simplex and save the store credit for other stuff. Does that make sense?
Home Depot only carries garrets and there’s a basic mine lab and the rest are Chinese junk. I went ahead and got the Apex with a Garrett pinpoint. I was able to get a 10% off coupon so that brought it down $55. I know it’s not waterproof but it’s water resistant and I think the coil is waterproof so water lines are not out. Hopefully the Apex with its multi frequency will be something that is going to be easy to use and build up to the advanced stage of detecting. We are really stoked about getting out there and using a good detector versus Chinese junk, that makes me dig a hole to Shanghai to find out what’s in the ground.

Home Depot only carries garrets and there’s a basic mine lab and the rest are Chinese junk. I went ahead and got the Apex with a Garrett pinpoint. I was able to get a 10% off coupon so that brought it down $55. I know it’s not waterproof but it’s water resistant and I think the coil is waterproof so water lines are not out. Hopefully the Apex with its multi frequency will be something that is going to be easy to use and build up to the advanced stage of detecting. We are really stoked about getting out there and using a good detector versus Chinese junk, that makes me dig a hole to Shanghai to find out what’s in the ground.
for that money you did 👍🏼

Hey y’all, I went ahead with the Garrett Apex because Home Depot gave me a 10% off coupon and the Garrett pin pointer. I appreciate all the advice. I know it’s not water proof but it’s water resistant so at least I can get it a little wet. I think the coil is waterproof so The waterline isn’t out. I think the multi frequency will be something I can build up to after a while, and the reviews seem that it’s somewhat simple to use.. Once again, thanks.

Any advice for coils and accessories that one might need? Special shovels, sifters, etc.
Congrats on your new metal detector! May it lead to many great discoveries!!! I would invest in a smaller search coil for hunting in trashy areas like parks & school yards. I'm not sure which size coil you recieved on your unit.

Congrats on your new metal detector! May it lead to many great discoveries!!! I would invest in a smaller search coil for hunting in trashy areas like parks & school yards. I'm not sure which size coil you recieved on your unit.
Like I said, I’m very stoked and excited to get underway with a quality machine! It comes with the viper elliptical 6X 11 and it is waterproof./Submersible. I see that they have a sniper hockey puck coil for more targeted detecting and trashy areas.

Anything else that someone would recommend for a beginner? Do you need any kind of special shovel or is just a garden trowel OK? I’m guessing that you could use a noodle strainer if need be, if not, then one of the stainless steel ones that I’ve seen? Are headphones a good thing? Or do most people just use it open aired without headphones?

Like I said, I’m very stoked and excited to get underway with a quality machine! It comes with the viper elliptical 6X 11 and it is waterproof./Submersible. I see that they have a sniper hockey puck coil for more targeted detecting and trashy areas.

Anything else that someone would recommend for a beginner? Do you need any kind of special shovel or is just a garden trowel OK? I’m guessing that you could use a noodle strainer if need be, if not, then one of the stainless steel ones that I’ve seen? Are headphones a good thing? Or do most people just use it open aired without headphones?
I started with a garden trowel, I now have a digger that I picked up, it looks like the Garret, Nokta etc... trowel with saw edges, it helps with roots. I also have an e-tool I use at the local farmers field and will likely get something with a longer handle as I am getting older and bending down isn't as easy as it once was. I like the headphones for noisy environments as it helps pick up those squeaky signals but they are not required. I haven't needed a strainer, yet.

I correct myself… They don’t have a hockey puck coil for the Apex.

And here’s another question…. we basically carry around a computer in our hand(phone)— why doesn’t a company use the processing power of an apple or android phone to do distinguishing mapping of an object or more processing power to be more discriminate? Seems like a no-brainer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back