Where can you detect without asking permisssion?

bscofield

"tis easier to beg forgiveness, than to seek permission" - true enough, but nobody (to my knowledge) has ever been fined, ticketed, or arrested for trespassing while seeking permission either :)

Diggem'

I gonna let you in on one of my trade secrets. Go to Century 21 or some other local real estate agency and pick up a book. Circle all the old colonial houses or pre 1900 houses.

Call the agency and inquire about the property (is it vacant, can you look inside, etc). Thank them for their time and hang up. If the property is vacant and the owners live outta state or next county over....take advantage of this opportunity and detect the grounds.

I've never been ran off, never been questioned, only once did a nosey neighbor mosey over and ask me what's up, I told them I was thinking of purchasing the old house and thought I'd give 'er a once over.

That's what I do.....may work for you, may not.

A couple years ago, I posted what happened to me when I asked a landowner for permission to hunt around his old house and property. He sat quietly on the porch and watched me dig signal after signal. About two hours I was ready to go, I had found some pretty nice stuff, coins and an old pocket watch. He comes out to my truck and ask to take a look at my digs. Then, his two boys stroll up to my pickup, the old man takes everything out of the shoe box I had placed it in and puts it in his pockets. He then ask me "is that all" to make a long story short...(do a search to read the details of this adventure)...he took everything I dug.

I haven't asked permission since, and I probably never will.

Shamus said:
Seattle, WA

hey shamus. Im in seattle too. or actually Im in bothell.

I like to go out when its kind of crappy out because you know out here no one bothers you in the rain ;) haha. I havent ever been told to leave....or confronted by anyone ever. just curious people. but beyond that... no authoritive figures. and i havent really asked permission for any of the places because I never realized that there were places that had rules, but I obviously dont go into peoples yards. If someone approaches me... and has a problem I would just be very nice and say "Im new at it and didnt know there were rules....but that I have covered up all my holes and left it just the way I found it." and if they still want me to leave then I will. but in seattle, being nice usually goes a long way. our people are really nice out here. probably because its never sunny. hahaha

I like Night Stalker's idea there! I might have to try that out! I just found a couple 1830s-1840s homes in the local MLS that might be worth looking into.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back