tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I then keep looking for the proof somewhere.

I got this sterling box at my local indoor flea market for $30. plus tax. Even though it has a cedar wood liner I'm thinking it still has about 180 grams of sterling silver involved. The young fella who works there checked me out. His fingers are loaded with the silver rings and one gold one he's picked up there for a bargain. He even has a booth there and gets to hunt there every working day. He said you thinks that box is sterling. I said indeed it's marked as such. WHERE! he said. Very faintly on the bottom I said. He told me he felt sure it was pure silver, but the brass hugh under the lid just didn't look right to him and he said he looked for a mark inside along the lip and all over the piece. I said the brass hugh might be the effects of the cedar wood or it was given a light gold wash, but look very close on the bottom edge and you will see S&S Sterling, which seems to be Smith & Smith Silver Attleboro Mass.

Attachments

• 20240902_124946.jpg
    20240902_124946.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 47
  • 20240902_124941.jpg
    20240902_124941.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
  • 20240902_124627.jpg
    20240902_124627.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 50
  • 20240902_124723.jpg
    20240902_124723.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
I then keep looking for the proof somewhere.

I got this sterling box at my local indoor flea market for $30. plus tax. Even though it has a cedar wood liner I'm thinking it still has about 180 grams of sterling silver involved. The young fella who works there checked me out. His fingers are loaded with the silver rings and one gold one he's picked up there for a bargain. He even has a booth there and gets to hunt there every working day. He said you thinks that box is sterling. I said indeed it's marked as such. WHERE! he said. Very faintly on the bottom I said. He told me he felt sure it was pure silver, but the brass hugh under the lid just didn't look right to him and he said he looked for a mark inside along the lip and all over the piece. I said the brass hugh might be the effects of the cedar wood or it was given a light gold wash, but look very close on the bottom edge and you will see S&S Sterling, which seems to be Smith & Smith Silver Attleboro Mass.
Good eye spotting the marks.

I would just said that the Mrs might like it, don't really matter if was silver or not.😁

Good score and good eye.

It's not a jewellery box though. Smith & Smith were active for a short period from the mid-1900s and are best known for cigar humidors and tobacco-related items... hence the cedar lining.
R. Wallace & Sons bought the company in the 1950s (along with the Watson Company and the Tuttle Silver Company), changing the name for the combined companies to Wallace Silversmiths in 1956.

Good score and good eye.

It's not a jewellery box though. Smith & Smith were active for a short period from the mid-1900s and are best known for cigar humidors and tobacco-related items... hence the cedar lining.
R. Wallace & Sons bought the company in the 1950s (along with the Watson Company and the Tuttle Silver Company), changing the name for the combined companies to Wallace Silversmiths in 1956.
Thank you RC. It would hold cigarettes pretty well, unless it was designed for a short cigar.

Last edited:
Good eye spotting the marks.

I would just said that the Mrs might like it, don't really matter if was silver or not.😁
She has no clue what this stuff I bring home is. Ever now and then she'll ask what she should do with it all if I was to kick, because its just old clutter as far as she's concerned. My middle daughter is well versed and she knows what it all is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back