Wheat pennies galore

StevePa

Sep 6, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently acquired my grandfather's White's 6000 and decided to try my luck at hunting treasure. I have been working an old church picnic grove in PA, where I found 5 wheat pennies in a small area. Not a bad way to start. I am having trouble finding anything other than pennies. Any suggestions on my setting that may be causing me to disc out silver?

Attachments

• image-3772668308.jpg
    image-3772668308.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 162
  • image-2507533206.jpg
    image-2507533206.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 0
Where there's wheats there is silver. I don't know much about Whites, I use Tracker IV for the next two weeks, so hopefully someone else knows about changing the disc. Good luck

HH
MrSchulz

You were right MrSchulz. Went back to this picnic grove where I found the wheat pennies, found my first silver coin, a 1923 Mercury Dime.

Attachments

• image-2639090465.jpg
    image-2639090465.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 146
  • image-3470745873.jpg
    image-3470745873.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 122
Usually, if you find that many wheats you should be in good shape.
Unfortunately, after 50years of people detecting (the babyboomers) pickings are always slim in the public areas.
Nice merc! My favorite coin to find.

back when I first started detecting, wheats made me yawn. now they make me smile.

I am having trouble finding anything other than pennies. Any suggestions on my setting that may be causing me to disc out silver?

If your finding copper then you can't have silver discriminated out, I doubt silver can even be discriminated out on your machine & by now you probably have already learned this as the 23 Merc find has told ya... That's a great start & those are nice finds!

nice find on the Merc

Nice merc!! HH

Nice finds.
If you're finding wheats, there's gotta be an injun in there somewhere.
I was hunting a church picnic grove many moons ago, and was finding plenty of wheaties and a good many injuns too.
An old timer came along and asked how I was doing, and I remarked about all the pennies I was finding, but not much else. He related how when he was a kid, they used to have 'penny hunts' for the kids, and he figured that's why the abundance of pennies.
A friend of mine also told me of how his grandfather would host summer picnics at his private pavilion and toss out pennies and popcorn for the kids to enjoy.
The pavilion is long gone,and I hope to get permission someday to check it out.

Congrats on the finds... Just takes a little time to learn the machine. I would do a test garden in the yard and play with the settings till you get it where you want.

Nice start at the hobby!

Excellent "hot spot". Don't tell anyone about this spot. Read the owner's manual for your machine thoroughly, twice, it will make a difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back