What’s This

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I’ve had this piece for a few years now. It was found in a TN creek. Shows some nice flakes removed on both sides. The fat end shows use wear and the end that tapers down shows some thinning but doesn’t show use wear on it. It’s a thick piece for the size of it. I’m not going to throw any guesses cause I keep changing my mind. Maybe you guys can give it a I.D. For me. I’d appreciate knowing. Thanks
Last picture is the blunted end

Attachments

• IMG_1905.jpeg
    IMG_1905.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1903.jpeg
    IMG_1903.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1907.jpeg
    IMG_1907.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1906.jpeg
    IMG_1906.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1908.jpeg
    IMG_1908.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 6
I’ve had this piece for a few years now. It was found in a TN creek. Shows some nice flakes removed on both sides. The fat end shows use wear and the end that tapers down shows some thinning but doesn’t show use wear on it. It’s a thick piece for the size of it. I’m not going to throw any guesses cause I keep changing my mind. Maybe you guys can give it a I.D. For me. I’d appreciate knowing. Thanks
Last picture is the blunted end
hard to tell without touching it, but it looks like it could be a piece of flint or chert used by indians to make arrowheads. It's sometimes found in creeks. So it could be a piece they used or a piece they would have, had it been found. pretty cool

Nodule that was tested and rejected. Many reasons to reject a piece. When you remove a spall and it makes a clunk noise you know it has an internal crack. That one looks like it is too thick compared to width. By the time you thinned it, you would not have enough width to finish it. When you have a creek full of nodules, it’s easier to find a better one than to struggle to work one that is marginal.

Nodule that was tested and rejected. Many reasons to reject a piece. When you remove a spall and it makes a clunk noise you know it has an internal crack. That one looks like it is too thick compared to width. By the time you thinned it, you would not have enough width to finish it. When you have a creek full of nodules, it’s easier to find a better one than to struggle to work one that is marginal.
TN has plenty of chert in their creeks so could be

To me it looks like the fat end shows crushing, if true, that would mean it was more than a preform since it was used… my mind goes to a wedge to split things… did na’s split logs? Anyway if I’m wrong about the crushing then I’m team preform too

I think they used igneous rocks for wedges. Hitting a flint wedge would likely shatter it.
When I walk a creek looking for knapping flint I test dozens of nodules and reject most before I find one that is suitable. You are looking for one good one out of ten or even one out of a hundred bad ones. Creeks with a flint supply are loaded with 10,000 yrs of previously tested nodules and reject bifaces laying everywhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back