Apr 11, 2016
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
(Favorite) CTX 3030
(Back up) whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's this?

image.jpegI just found this yesterday afternoon in a spot I find mostly early 1800's late 1700's and buttons from the war of 1812 not that this means it could be from that time frame but some times the relics I find around help me date others.
There are no visible markings on front or back except for the, what I think might be a bear or fox head. It is around the size of a silver dollar with looks to be tabs of some sort on the top and bottom.
View attachment 1306934image.jpegimage.jpegAs always any help would be greatly appreciated.

IDK, Boy Scouts maybe ??? . To me it looks like a hybrid wolf-bear-fox, :dontknow:

Upvote 0
Not quite designed for a rifle stock patch box lid or percussion cap box lid ......
Hints of a patchbox lid though. Pictured is an English reproduction.
A sitting fox was on some trade gun locks but...trade guns were often spartan in features and patch boxes were not standard ,though one could be added by anyone just about.
All you needed was a patch box lid from a source and a wood stock ,be it rifle or smooth bore.

[Another common feature of these guns was a sitting fox stamped on the lock. The fox faced right or left depending on the maker (the mark was copied) and the times. The fox convinced some Indians of the gun's good quality.]

Northwest or Trade Gun, Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply

835ad529044f5ecee80d2fc14ad4c24e (1).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont think its horse brass (swinger) with the tab. Maybe too big for a patch box?
Hinge broken must be a lid to something. I think bear also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lid to Yogi's honey jar? :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back