Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

Garrett Sea Hunter 11
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_2858.jpeg
IMG_2857.jpeg

Upvote 8
Nice find. For any iron, my opinion is electrolysis. If you don’t have a rig already, or know someone who does, here is a link for how I built mine. I used a 5 gal bucket.

You can YouTube yourself to death in this topic, each person has their own idea and everyone else’s will kill you (slight exaggeration).

Key points….i use a car battery charger (older one) set on 2 amps, arm and hammer powdered laundry soap, and flat bar for anodes.

Never use table salt or stainless steel, and do it outside.

Good connection to target…and a little trial and error, you’ll be fine.

Would start with something else for practice until you get it right.

Oh….soak it in water for a few days beforehand, then go over it with a toothpick and brass brush to get off any scale or dirt. Will speed the process up.

Evaporust.

Nice find. For any iron, my opinion is electrolysis. If you don’t have a rig already, or know someone who does, here is a link for how I built mine. I used a 5 gal bucket.

You can YouTube yourself to death in this topic, each person has their own idea and everyone else’s will kill you (slight exaggeration).

Key points….i use a car battery charger (older one) set on 2 amps, arm and hammer powdered laundry soap, and flat bar for anodes.

Never use table salt or stainless steel, and do it outside.

Good connection to target…and a little trial and error, you’ll be fine.

Would start with something else for practice until you get it right.

Oh….soak it in water for a few days beforehand, then go over it with a toothpick and brass brush to get off any scale or dirt. Will speed the process up.
Thanks, I’ve done a lot of electrolysis work—I’m concerned with screwing up the patina. I’ll soak it in water and try to remove the heavy crud.

Cool finds! Thank for posting and congratulations!

Electrolysis..

Thanks, I’ve done a lot of electrolysis work—I’m concerned with screwing up the patina. I’ll soak it in water and try to remove the heavy crud.
Youre beyond my knowledge base outside of electrolysis, however as you are aware because of your experience, if you don’t stop the rust somehow you’ll end up with dust eventually. I’ll be interested to hear/see what you end up doing. Please share pics afterwards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back