whats a good bottle book

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
i am looking for some good ones that can help identify more better, especially for the more common ones, mostly i have got so far are the price guides. let me know if you know of any good ones out there. i noticed the older ones are pretty good. so far i have ...Bottles by michael polak, kovels bottles by ralph and terry kovel, bottle pricing guide by hugh cleveland, bottles of bygone days by donald e colcleaser, old time bottles by lynn blumenstein, price supplement to the antique bottle collector by grace kendrick, the antique bottle collector by grace kendrick, bottle collectors handbook & pricing guide by john t yount, thanks all, good luck diggin

I find that most bottle books seem to set their values way to high although most have good imformation. Im still looking for the altimate bottle book but Im not sure it exsist. With prices changing from day to day and new bottles surfacing I can see why having a up to date accurate bottle book could be a challenge. I find that ebay will usually give you the going price and internet search can help with origin and history.

Antique-Bottles.net isnt a book but is probably even better. Alot of expert advice on all types of bottles. This sight gets a 5 star plus rating from me...Check it out if you havnt already...its free

wow, ill see what i can find tonight, thanks all!!!! :)

SWR said:
Here are a few I recommed.

American Applied Glass Seal Bottles
Dale L. Murschell, 1996

American Bottles & Flasks, and Their Ancestry
Helen McKearin & Kenneth M. Wilson, 1978

American Glass
George S. and Helen McKearin, 1941

American Sarsaparilla Bottles
John DeGrafft, 1980

Bottle Makers and Their Marks
Julian Harrison Toulouse, 1971

The Collector's Guide to Old Fruit Jars - RED BOOK No. 9
by Douglas M. Leybourne Jr. (2001)

Collector's Guide to the Saratoga Type Mineral Water Bottles
Donald Tucker, 1986

Early American Bottles and Flasks
Stephen Van Rensselaer, 1926

Early American Glass
Marshall Davidson, 1946

Early American Glass
Rhea Mansfield Knittle, 1927

For Bitters Only
Carlyn Ring, 1980

Great American Pontiled Medicines
Frederick Nielson, 1978

Hair Raising Stories
Don Fadely, 1992

Ink Bottles & Inkwells
William Covill, 1971

Insulators, A History and Guide to North American Glass Pintype Insulators
John & Carol McDougald, 1990

Ketchup Pickles Sauces
19th Century Food in Glass
Betty Zumwalt, 1980

Poison Bottle Workbook
Rudy Kuhn

Two Hundred Years of American Blown Glass
Helen and George S. McKearin, 1950

Understanding Antique Wine Bottles
Roger Dumbrell, 1983

SWR,

I'm not a rich man ;D

Understand that no book will answer all your questions
but if you could only have 2 -3, which would they be?

Thanks.

have a good un...............

i agree with sherman,ne way to narrow it down??

SWR,

thanks. You opinion is valued.

But what is the book with your name in the
credits? ;) ;D Be shameless, shameless, shameless..................

have a good un............

thanks, ill try to find one and pick it up. worth a shot. yeah, so what book, if you dont mind us asking???? i noticed on the BLM wesite, there is a guyfrom my hometown who has written a bunch of refrences on that page, from a small town.

k, well i did a lil research and it seems i gotta have this one. sd thing is it isnt too cheap, but seems like a awesome reference, thanks jim

k, well i found one and am just waiting for it to come in, thanks again

Hey Chong...

There are a few low priced collector's type bottle books out there. They give descriptions, estimated values, information on how to "date" different bottles. One of the better books is by Michael Pollak. It takes the reader through a little history of glassmaking, has sections on bottle hunting, digging, diving and collecting bottles. Gives descriptions and lists some of the higher end collectable bottles.

Then there are books on bottle prices by Hugh Cleveland, Kovel and McGueara (sp?)

Hope this helps,

Wayne

Attachments

• Pics from old pc 375.jpg
    Pics from old pc 375.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 197
thanks diver, ya i have a few of the ones you mentioned already. Pollak is one of my fav price guides

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back