what would happen if the earth stopped spinning

I know my body creates a magnetic charge, so I'm a magnet, and i'm being held down by a magnetic iron core. I feel like a magnet, I can't jump off.. That's what I believe.. right or wrong..

The human body has multiple magnetic fields, created by its brain, its nervous system and other organs which generate electrical energy at cellular level. The overall magnetic field is in the order of one billionth that of the Earth and not in any way strong enough to significantly contribute to the gravitational pull that keeps humans attached to the Earth.

From the Wiki entry on ‘Human Magnetism’:

Human magnetism is a popular name for the supposed ability of some humans to attract various objects to their skin. People alleged to have such an ability are often called human magnets. Although metal objects are the most prevalent material of attraction, some "human magnets" are also able to stick other types of materials to their skin, such as glass, porcelain, wood or plastic as well as metals with no ferromagnetic properties, such as brass and aluminium. However, none of the recorded claims of human magnetism corresponds with the physics of magnetism.

Many of the people who can adhere objects to their body can do so not only with metal but also other materials. That would suggest that the phenomenon cannot be explained by magnetism and uses a different kind of physical effect. Skeptic Benjamin Radford has used a compass to check the magnetic field of a person that claimed to be a human magnet. He concluded that person did not produce magnetic fields. He also noted that those people usually have smooth and hairless skin and lean back slightly while sticking objects, which would not be necessary if they possessed magnetic powers. Many scientists and proponents of science, including James Randi [a professional stage magician and leading investigator of paranormal pseudoscience, although he prefers not to be called a “debunker”], have explained this ability by friction and sticky skin; to prove that, Randi has demonstrated that human magnets lose their powers when they are covered in talc.

Can you show me a pic of a single atom that isn't magnetic, I'll change my thoughts..

Can you show me a pic of a single atom that isn't magnetic, I'll change my thoughts..

Almost all atoms have a magnetic field in a particular alignment known as a 'magnetic moment.' But that's not the answer to the question. The issue is whether these tiny forces are strong enough to create sufficient attraction to Earth's magnetic core to keep a person attached to it's surface... or even contribute significantly to the much larger gravitational attraction. They aren't, and they don't.

Almost all atoms have a magnetic field in a particular alignment known as a 'magnetic moment.' But that's not the answer to the question. The issue is whether these tiny forces are strong enough to create sufficient attraction to Earth's magnetic core to keep a person attached to it's surface... or even contribute significantly to the much larger gravitational attraction. They aren't, and they don't.
Let's change almost all to all.. Every atom is a resonating magnet in itself. All atoms are gravity replaced heading down. Magnets down, gravity down, take your pic..

Let's change almost all to all.. Every atom is a resonating magnet in itself. All atoms are gravity replaced heading down. Magnets down, gravity down, take your pic..

Nope. I used the words "magnetic field in a particular alignment'. As @DizzyDigger pointed out, when there is electron pairing that cancels out the charge, that alignment is lost... ie there is no longer a 'north pole' and a 'south pole' as on a conventional magnet. Magnetic attraction (and magnetic repulsion) depends on those poles.
In any case, the forces involved are incredibly small, and not strong enough to play any significant role in keeping a human anchored to Earth.

Nope. I used the words "magnetic field in a particular alignment'. As @DizzyDigger pointed out, when there is electron pairing that cancels out the charge, that alignment is lost... ie there is no longer a 'north pole' and a 'south pole' as on a conventional magnet. Magnetic attraction (and magnetic repulsion) depends on those poles.
In any case, the forces involved are incredibly small, and not strong enough to play any significant role in keeping a human anchored to Earth.
Okay, but north pole and south pole, have a predominate down direction by pull, from gravity by connection of magnetism.

Back to the ball rolling. If you let a ball roll down an incline, does it flip around? The earth flipping because it's spinning, doesn't make sense..

Okay, but north pole and south pole, have a predominate down direction by pull, from gravity by connection of magnetism.

Nope again. Gravity and magnetism are two unrelated forces which are independently created by different mechanisms. Gravity is created by mass. Magnetism is created by the motion of electrons.

Nope again. Gravity and magnetism are two unrelated forces which are independently created by different mechanisms. Gravity is created by mass. Magnetism is created by the motion of electrons.
A one ton block of steel has one ton of atoms being magnetically pulled down. What is that force called?

In a word...no.

Gravity is in relation to mass.

"Gravity and magnetism are not the same thing. In fact, they are completely separate forces. Gravity is a force that acts between any two objects with mass. No matter what they are made of, both objects get pulled towards each other just because they have mass. The reason it seems like gravity only pulls you towards the earth is because the earth is so big that the pull from you on it isn't enough to do much to its motion.

Unlike gravity, which occurs between any objects, magnetism depends on specific properties of objects. Magnetism can either pull the two objects together or push them apart, depending on which way the magnets point. Most importantly, it depends on what is going on with the electrons in the material, since each electron is like a tiny magnet itself. Most materials feel very little magnetic force because their electrons act like magnets that are pointing every which way, more or less equal numbers pulling or pushing."

Dowser, we're showing you the proven science...you can take it or leave it.

Is this really all that we can find to talk about on a metal detecting discussion board? Sad IMPO. It is silly.

Lets ask "What would we do if the planet exploded." Makes as much sense. Or maybe an arctic freeze? Focus more on detecting folks.

Last edited:
Is this really all that we can find to talk about on a metal detecting discussion board? Sad IMPO. It is silly.

Sorry if you don't find it interesting...some things in physics are not readily grasped, and there's plenty of physics involved with metal detecting.

FWIW, I have nothing more to contribute to this topic.
respect-062.gif

Back to the ball rolling. If you let a ball roll down an incline, does it flip around? The earth flipping because it's spinning, doesn't make sense..
I would rather be on a rolling ball, than a spinning one, that sounds dangerous!

A one ton block of steel has one ton of atoms being magnetically pulled down. What is that force called?

Predominantly GRAVITY (created by mass, not magnetism). Any contribution from magnetism would be minimal. A one ton block of Austenitic stainless steel, which is non-magnetic by virtue of its crystal structure would also be anchored to Earth by virtue of its mass. So too would a one ton block of lead, which is also non-magnetic. For a human weighing considerably less than a ton and with a weak magnetic field, the magnetic effect relative to the gravitational effect would be smaller still.

I would rather be on a rolling ball, than a spinning one, that sounds dangerous!

The Earth is a round ball, and it's spinning at roughly 1000 mph. Surprise!
19.gif

Sorry if you don't find it interesting...some things in physics are not readily grasped, and there's plenty of physics involved with metal detecting.

FWIW, I have nothing more to contribute to this topic. View attachment 2171869
AND, the whole earth just stops spinning? Totally unrealistic.

"One side of the earth would become very hot and the other side would become very cold."

Would you even think about grabbing a metal detector? I would be hauling my butt to moderate temp, and a metal detector wound be close to last on my list! Just staying alive.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back