What was your first Keeper coin

My first keeper was a 1923 Merc dime, well worn and really thin. I found it near a piece of new construction in a well hunted park with my first detector, a BH LandRanger. It apparently was brought in in some fill dirt that was used to level up an area around a new gazebo. It was about 8" deep but easy to dig as the dirt had not compacted yet. Since then I have found no more silver in that park, nor has anyone else that I know of. I visit it all the time as it is close and a good place to work on learning and experimenting with my detectors. Monty

Two silver Washington quarters found in the same hole with a plastic mail order detector I had sometime in the mid 80's. And for Beeps benefit it was near a popular party spot near the Wilson Bridge. Remember that place?

my first keeper was a wheat...'45 I believe, found it in my own front yard...along with about 30 others found that day and later hunts....needless to say I was hooked, this was last summer around fathers day

never did find a single silver coin here in the yard tho ??? that's a pretty bad ratio

HH

ecdonovan said:
A 1935 Merc. Isn,t it odd that the Merc was a lot of peoples first keeper. I wonder why?

Ed Donovan
Size.Smallest coin,easiest to lose.I find more dimes and cents than anything else as far as clad goes.But were talking keepers.Same applies.Just my opinion. :)

First "keeper" was an 1865 two cent piece, about an inch down, in an old park. Read as a penny/screwcap. Thought it was a gold coin when I first uncovered it. Took me five minutes to catch my breath. Its still my favorite.

diggummup said:
ecdonovan said:
A 1935 Merc. Isn,t it odd that the Merc was a lot of peoples first keeper. I wonder why?

Ed Donovan
Size.Smallest coin,easiest to lose.I find more dimes and cents than anything else as far as clad goes.But were talking keepers.Same applies.Just my opinion. :)
Not smallest coin, couple of smaller ones i can think of. ;D

When I was 9, I found a liberty half in an old chair in the basement of my grandmother's house, buried in the cushions. That got me interested in coins and coin collecting.

My first detecting keeper was a 1925 liberty standing quarter found in 1977 when I was 16, in the park accross the street from my dad's house.

BDoo

Okay, I finally found it. This was my very first KEEPER coin.

I dug it in a small park in Western Michigan back in 1968 or 69. I was using the CoinMaster IV and it was about 4 inches deep.

I was so excited to find a real "old coin."

Back at that time we didn't consider Wheats as old coins. Sometimes we just cleaned and spent them.

Great post Pete!

Attachments

• nickel01.jpg
    nickel01.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 257
Great coin MB! Im kinda partial to liberty nickels, its by far my best find so far. 1897 found in my backyard 3 weeks ago! I'd only found 3 wheats & no silver til I dug the nickel, so I'd say it is my first keeper. Aint this a great post though?

My first keeper was a 1952 Roosevelt dime that was three feet out the back door of a house we rented in 1975. It was a 1/2" down in bare hard packed dirt and was found with a BFO unit that I had bought at an auction. HH

My first coin was a Silver quarter grandma gave me to put in the collection plate at Church one Sunday when I was young and stupid. I kept the coin and being stupid, I told grandma about it. :'(

1890 Indian Head penny, first target I dug with my Explorer2, two months into my detecting career (ditched the XLPro for the Explorer, best move I ever made!)

Sandman256 said:
My first coin was a Silver quarter grandma gave me to put in the collection plate at Church one Sunday when I was young and stupid. I kept the coin and being stupid, I told grandma about it. :'(

LOL! Love it. ;D

Sandman256 said:

ROFL, almost as bad as the guy that put $1 in and took back 50 cents.

mine was a merc also..i can't get a date off of it, but at the time i thought it was in good shape,, ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back