All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_1434.jpg
    IMG_1434.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1435.jpg
    IMG_1435.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 86
Modern could, be a pistol or a muzzleloader. Looks like it was built to pedal out.

Upvote 0
The way it peeled I would say jacketed hollow point, but need precise measurement of the base to determine what caliber.

Upvote 0
Before and after, some muzzleloaders bullets sit in a plastic sleeve resulting in no rifling marks on the bullet. If no rifling are present I'd say muzzleloader.best-muzzleloader-bullet-reminton-premier-accutip-600x400.jpg

Upvote 0
Looks to me like a .45 ACP hollow point.just by the base diameter being just shy on 1/2 inch. Although it definitely could be a modern .50 muzzle loader

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's FMJ full metal jacket so it isn't from a muzzle loader. Looks way smaller than .45 too. Need a good measurement across the remaining base. It looks like a 30-30, .32, or .35 Remington rifle slug that had an exposed lead tip.

Upvote 0
I can shoot any .45cal bullet out of my 50 cal muzzleloader. In my .45 I shoot .38 cal.

Upvote 0
It could have been shot from a muzzleloader. Hollow point not full metal jacket. If there are rifling marks on the bullet, it was not shot from a muzzleloader because sabots are used on bullets when shot from muzzleloader.

Upvote 0
Corbon DPX looks like that after it’s been fired. They are solid copper and don’t fragment

Upvote 0
It's not a full-metal jacket. It's an expanded "monolithic" copper that may have had a poly nose-cone. I'd go with a .45 sabot from a muzzleloader because it doesn't not appear to show rifling.

best-muzzleloader-bullet-reminton-premier-accutip.jpg

Upvote 0
Looks to me like a .45 ACP hollow point.just by the base diameter being just shy on 1/2 inch. Although it definitely could be a modern .50 muzzle loader

I agree. Looks like a .45 ACP hollow point to me too!
And I'll add: Whatever it hit opened up the petals quite nicely.
Looks like maximum expansion to me, and the jacket didn't fragment either (so that rules out all the cheap Russian ammo). :)

Upvote 0
Could be a .45 hollow point shot with a sabot from a muzzle loader. The easy way to tell is if there are rifling grooves on the sides of the bullet. If no then definitely a muzzle loader. If there are grooves then its probably from a pistol. If you can caliber it to get the exact diameter then you could narrow it down some.

Upvote 0
Appreciate all the input. Did not see any rifling grooves on the bullet; unfortunately, don’t have calipers to take better measurements either. This was a random find, trekking through the woods. With all the feedback, I doubt I’m looking at a rare find!!

Upvote 0
Looks like a .45 to me

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back