What the @#*! is this object 2 feet underground - cache? cremation urn? time capsule?

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last weekend I was metal detecting with a friend at a scout reservation established in the late 1940s. Near the traditional (main) camp fire circle, at the bottom of a grassy amphitheater-like hill where scouts would sit to watch skits, my little 6 inch coil detected a faint high tone signal. Almost half an hour later, I discovered a circular, round iron object 18 - 22 inches under ground. Thumping the top of it makes a hollow sound, as it it is made of sheet metal. Its definitely not solid or cast iron but its also not thin enough to disintegrate when I tapped it with my shovel. There is no sewer at the camp and we were far from any septic system. The fire circle is beside a creek. We had been very careful in excavating the dirt so as not to detract from the site - in fact, when I expanded the hole, I piled dirt onto a tarp. Since we were short of time and not knowing what it was, we decided to not be reckless and try to break through the top. When we did try to get hold of it or pry it up, we were unsuccessful. It definitely goes down a bit further than we dug. We marked the location, filled the hold back in and decided to do some research. I suppose it could be a manhole cover or cap of some kind (do you cap a well?) but it was nearly two feet underground and hollow sounding. Anyone have any ideas? I placed my Garrett carrot on top of the object for scale in the second photo.

IMG_0120.jpg IMG_0121.jpg IMG_0122.jpg

I feel a bit (no, a lot) silly asking but should I bother to return and try to expand the hole a bit more to see what it is, or am I wasting my time? You can imagine where the imagination goes...

Last edited:
Potato chip tin from the seventies.(?)
There might have been tins that little dehydrated potatoes came in for the kitchen too. One scout camp had them. (The potatoes). Foggy memory thinks of plain tins with bagged dried goods inside....

Must be dry/sandy soil to have not rusted through. Or well greased on top of paint or something first.

Upvote 0
Looks Iron ! I didn't Check all Guesses , SO Sorry If I stepped on Any ones Toes,
But Are you sure there are No Pipelines in the area ?

I Don't think it's a Container made of Iron. More likely a Cap on a Tank or Pipe.

just be careful ! if you bust it open, we may all go for a ride :coffee2:

Or you'll be Loading up the Truck & Movin' to Beverly....... Hills ! that is !
Swimming pools, Movie stars !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It’s very clearly a tunnel entrance. You might end up in the swamp on Oak Island with a lead cross between your teeth… or possibly gain access to Floor Seven-and-a-Half of the Mertin-Flemmer building and get ejected from John Malkovich’s head into a ditch beside the New Jersey Turnpike. Either way, I would pack sandwiches and a flask… and mind your head.

Upvote 0
My suggestion, in addition to the others, would be the valve cover on a buried propane tank. Seems about the right size. Is the object domed? Ordinarily, that part is above ground, but your spot may have seen some filling activity.

propane.jpg propane 2.jpg propane 3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
red ypou getting any o0ther signal in case it is a old propane tank / Maybe you could probe for the rest of a tank

Upvote 0
Personally... if it were me and I came across this... I would clear at least six inches around it and down... and see if I could get "under" it if possible OR to see if its connected to pipe or anything else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kray Gelder, you have proposed something that seems plausible. I wonder if they had a water tank (not a propane tank) buried in close proximity to the fire circle? That would make sense as a precaution given the frequency of use that fire circle received. I also wonder if the local fire department required it? I'll have to see if I can track down a previous camp director. Thanks for the idea!

Upvote 0
Here in Michigan we have 1800missdig, sposed to call them before digging with a excavator, they know where all the pipes and cables are...

Upvote 0
Hopefully, not a cap to a septic tank. Maybe the scouts had a toilet building out there at one time?

Upvote 0
Almost half an hour later, I discovered a circular, round iron object 18 - 22 inches under ground. Thumping the top of it makes a hollow sound, as it it is made of sheet metal. The fire circle is beside a creek.
View attachment 1865307 View attachment 1865309 View attachment 1865310

Hollow, near a creek, sounds like sheetmetal about 18 inches down and just over a foot wide? I think you found yourself an old 5 gallon metal pail or container or pot. Since it's near a creek, depth means little, creeks can flood and deposit a foot of fill after just one flooding. I hope i'm wrong and its a pot of silver!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For a 6 inch coil to hit anything that deep you know its gonna be big...:icon_pirat:

Upvote 0
I remember an incident in the news a while back where a guy digging in his back yard found something similar, and it turned out to be the hatch for an underground bomb shelter.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back